PDA

View Full Version : When do you introduce?

pythonpaintjobs
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Normally I introduce the first of December and continue doing so through the end of January. Eggs normally hatch from June through August. This year I started introductions on Novbembert 1st. I live in Texas and keep my snakes in the laundry room. There's no heat /ac vent in this room so the ambient temp in the room is dictated by the weather outside. I also run the same temps (90 degrees) year round on the Helix. I'm hoping for earlier clutches this year and had my first ovulation. She should drop her eggs the 1st of March. Hopefully the others will follow shortly. This would be earlier than any clutches I had last year. Think it has anything to do with them being introduced earlier? Chris Hall

KY Reptiles
01-25-2012, 11:36 PM
It depends on the female really. I had a female I've been breeding since last january. She laid her eggs in November and they just hatched Jan 7th. So its up to the female. I also had a female that I started breeding mid March, and she had her eggs at the end of Aug, hatching on Halloween. I generally start my pairings mid/late Sept. and from there start females according to when they're ready and how rested males are. If I haven't paired them by april I generally will just wait til the following season. I find separating when starting females makes it easier, males aren't over worked and get plenty of rest time, females get plenty of rest time between pairings and I don't get over run with a bunch of clutches all at once. Although, its up to the females. I could very well end up with all my girls laying in a 2 month period even though it will be a 6 month difference from when I started the first to when I start the last girl. (I hope that doesn't happen, lolz)

If she has her eggs on March 1st (my bday :D) do I get a baby? Lolz

pythonpaintjobs
01-26-2012, 12:47 AM
I don't know if I could wait longer than a couple weeks between clutches! :eek: It would be less hectic though!!

If she has her eggs on March 1st (my bday :D) do I get a baby? Lolz
Well mines in November so if you're having clutches still in November maybe we can work something out! :D

KY Reptiles
01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Well when you're expecting 20 plus females to lay, its definitely easier to try and have them spaced out.

RobNJ
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I started pairings as early as mid-October and have had new introductions as late as yesterday. Lock ups were frequent from mid-october through late November, than pretty spotty throughout December, and things have been in high gear for January.

dumje
01-26-2012, 03:29 PM
I introduce whenever the female is ready weight wise and she has not ovulated yet....

GREGORY J HALL
01-26-2012, 04:35 PM
mine have just started,march & april are in high gear breeding here