PDA

View Full Version : Need breeding information: Proving new morphs (Ball pythons)

TummyStix
01-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I am in the process of setting up a breeding hobby. I understand about breeding known morphs and have literature on the basics of genetics, specifically for herpers, but there are a few things I don't understand and would like to figure out where I can obtain information for.

My goal is to eventually create a never before seen morph. what I don't understand is if the genes are hidden, how would I even know I am on to something, and furthermore when I am onto something, how exactly do I prove out it is a new gene...

thank you vary much

Jonathan

TummyStix
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Also, what types of morphs would I start out with to acomplish this, and something else I dont understand would be is it possible to have co-dom traits show when you have dom. genes present...thanks again!

Randy F
01-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey Jonathan,

First for your dominant and co-dom question....yes. If you look at for example a bumble bee you have the dominant pattern of the spider, and the co-dom color of the pastel. Now as for you proving a new morph, not so easily done or thats what everyone would be doing. Hidden genes are just those. If you are lucky enough to find one you have to find out what unlocks that gene. To prove out a hidden gen it would probably take 4 to 5 years and many breedings to find out about the gene. You need to determine if it is a dominant, co-dom, recessive, is there a super form? That take multiple years and morphs to make those determinations. If you produce something you think may have something going on, it is called a dinker. If you make a "special" animal from a dinker and do not "prove" anything, it is worth no more than a simular animal (special fire (dinker) not proven is equal to a fire or slightly higher priced nice fire). Now once you prove it to be something......10 fold atleast. First step is to breed animal back to parent to see if there is a super form right away. Now you must keep the whole clutch to prove. If you have a bunch of males, you can get rid of them but offer them as normals so no-one beats you to your project. Even if you have dinkers, you still need to run them through the "unlocking" genes, ie yellow belly, bel complex, fire. It is best for you to start yourself off with a collection of females either unlocking gene females then get dinker males, or have a bunch of dinker females and a couple unlocking males.

TummyStix
01-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Thank you for your response, it is vary helpful. only thing I dont quite grasp is what you meen by "unlocking genes."

GREGORY J HALL
01-29-2012, 05:44 PM
You have to get accomplished on keeping & breeding ball pythons first ,it takes alot of time,its took me 5 years to get where Im at & it takes patience trust me, buy some co=dom females & go for it with nice triple male,thats a start.

GREGORY J HALL
01-29-2012, 05:45 PM
provening the gene is able to be passed on.