PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Ghost?

Gloryhound
01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Last breeding season I breed a male Ghost (unknown line) to my Female Orange ghost. All the babies came out as normals. (Granted they were very light in color for normals, but normal none the less.)

Now what I am wondering is has anyone tried to make produce an Ultramel type result using incompatible lines of ghost and what were the results?

I've held back a 1.2 Trio from the clutch to try this project and just wondering if any other results of this kind of project is documented someplace.

Matt2979
01-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Wow, that had to be heartbreaking when the clutch pipped. But I'd love to see what you produce from the DH's, assuming you hit the "double" in a single animal. I've wondered the same thing about mixing 2 lines of axanthic, but never really thought about ghosts in that regard.

RobNJ
01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not following you on your ultramel question at all, but like Matt said, looks like you made double hets there.

Gloryhound
01-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Sorry just researched the ultramel a little more and I guess I should not have referenced it. I thought the Ultramel was 2 incompatible lines of Caramels, but I was wrong. How quickly things can change in a couple of years.

Yes it was a little heart breaking to end up with all normals, but we are trying to turn it into something positive in the future.

I don't know what to call two incompatible lines of ghosts in the same animal, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen such an animal. My bet is it will be hard to say what has both lines and what doesn't, but who knows.

snakesRkewl
01-31-2012, 06:37 PM
To be honest if I was looking for hypos I wouldn't buy one from a double het situation like this, too confusing, how would you ever know which line was what and what it was compatible with?
What a shock that must have been to see no hypos.

m00kfu
02-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Sorry just researched the ultramel a little more and I guess I should not have referenced it. I thought the Ultramel was 2 incompatible lines of Caramels, but I was wrong. How quickly things can change in a couple of years.

You're probably thinking of Vin Russo's camarillo, a combination of caramel x ultramel (which he's always considered incompatible lines of caramels).
http://www.cuttingedgeherp.com/pythons/item.nhtml?profile=pythons&UID=121

Gloryhound
02-01-2012, 09:11 AM
You're probably thinking of Vin Russo's camarillo, a combination of caramel x ultramel (which he's always considered incompatible lines of caramels).
http://www.cuttingedgeherp.com/pythons/item.nhtml?profile=pythons&UID=121

Yes, that is what I was being confused with. I really have not kept up to date on that project, so I think I was still going off the origional theory on the genetics instead of the end findings. Going to have to go look at the Caramels I have and see if they are definately Caramels after seeing the pictures on that site.

CornNut
02-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Had the female hypo ever been with another male? Years ago I bought a het hypo male from a guy who was really bummed out to get an all hypo clutch from one of his hypo females. He had bought a pastel male to breed her to back when pastel het hypos where big bucks but all the babies where from retained sperm from a hypo to hypo breeding the year before.

Also, are you sure the male is a proven genetic line of hypo? I’ve seen a few normal that could pass for a low quality hypo.

Gloryhound
02-01-2012, 09:26 PM
We had raised the female Orange ghost up from a baby and this was her first ever breeding attempt.

The male was sold to us as a proven Ghost, and his sheds were clear. Others looked at his picture and most think he looks like a butterscotch.

CornNut
02-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Good that you can eliminate sperm retention. It's just that incompatible hypos are so rare I had to ask (butterscotch is compatible with orange).

So was your understanding that the male was an import that had been proven genetic? Maybe he'll be the same as one of the incompatible lines or something new altogether.

Back to the original question, I think the double homozygous for two different lines of hypo has the potential to be outrageous. You just never know if it will look just like one of the lines or some sort of extreme synergy until you try it.

Gloryhound
02-02-2012, 06:16 AM
here is a picture of the male
http://www.iherp.com/Gallery/94427/59976_128033_Large_DOm0di0dhBs.jpg

Focal
02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I think it will be exciting. I've never played with hypos/ghost, but I think an "ultra" would be noticeable and really hot!