PDA

View Full Version : Caramel Question?

crookedantler
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't know too much about the Caramel Albinos so I have a question.I have seen advertised different "strains" of Caramel Albinos.VPI,NERD and so on.Are these all compatiable or if breeding do you have to get the same "strain" to produce visual Caramel Albinos?

coldbloodaddict
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes they are compatible.

You might not get a female Caramel to lay eggs though!

mgoblue347
02-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I just got a male Caramel Albino and did a ton of research. Aside from the kinking issues I had to have one. From what I've learned the problem is with the female caramel producing kinked babies. Most have no issues if breeding a male caramel to a female het caramel or visual morphs het caramel.

coldbloodaddict
02-06-2012, 02:52 AM
I just got a male Caramel Albino and did a ton of research. Aside from the kinking issues I had to have one. From what I've learned the problem is with the female caramel producing kinked babies. Most have no issues if breeding a male caramel to a female het caramel or visual morphs het caramel.

Not sure where you did your research, but that's nowhere near right.

Kinking in Caramels is not a sex related flaw.

Considering very few visual Caramel females even produce eggs, kinked Caramels are produced from male Visuals x female Hets all the time...Combos too...I've personally witnessed this in many clutches.

The problem with visual female Caramels is their very low fertility rate.

mgoblue347
02-06-2012, 03:03 AM
My mistake, could have sworn I'd been told that on many occasions. What about the male visual to a female visual het caramel?

coldbloodaddict
02-06-2012, 03:17 AM
My mistake, could have sworn I'd been told that on many occasions. What about the male visual to a female visual het caramel?

Not sure I understand the question...If you mean Visual Caramel male x another particular female morph that is also Het Caramel, then yes that could produce kinked Caramels...

There's no good way around kinking in Caramels...The best thing is to out cross and have different lines...Even that's no guarantee though!

mgoblue347
02-06-2012, 03:19 AM
I meant for example a male caramel to a female pastel het caramel etc. I really appreciate you clearing that up for me!

coldbloodaddict
02-06-2012, 03:22 AM
I meant for example a male caramel to a female pastel het caramel etc. I really appreciate you clearing that up for me!

Yes that could produce kinked Caramels and kinked Pastel Caramels.

No problem!

crookedantler
02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
What about using a female visual caramel and a normal male,getting all 100% het caramels,then breeding those to unrelated hets or visuals?

MrBig
02-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Good luck getting that visual girl to lay, I've heard but can't confirm that lowered breeding and incubation temps have had varied success. But the issue remains that most carmel females don't lay viable clutches.

FireStorm
02-07-2012, 02:01 PM
For Caramels, it seems that the kinking issue and the female fertility issue are two separate things. Several breeders I talked with before getting into my Caramel Glow project believe that the kinks are tied to incubation temps (but they are possible from Het to Het, Het to Visual and Visual to Visual pairings).

crookedantler
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
So,female visual Caramel Albinos are no good for breeding? Has anybody had luck with breeding them? If this is the case why are they cost so much?

MrBig
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
It's not that they are no good, it's more like most lay slugs but some produce almost normally. I can't speak first hand, but when I looked into it as a project what Shelly said is basically true. Except I've heard that het females reduce the risk. This is of course hearsay with no numbers to back it up, but I've heard it from a couple people who deal with them on a small-med scale. Anyone with more hands on experience wanna chime in?

MrBig
02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey Donald is that Ohiopyle Falls in your Signature photo? If so I've shot that in a kayak back in the day.

crookedantler
02-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure,the wife found it on her editing software.I found a decent deal on a female caramel and am going to give it a try.

mgoblue347
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Try Jeff at www.reptilesbyjeff.com he has male caramels for a good price and great quality. I just got one from him and couldn't be happier.

MrBig
02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.