PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry - GCS Reptiles - looking at cages and thermostats

Mike B.
12-07-2003, 08:42 PM
I was hoping to find some people who have bought their proportional thermostats and possibly some of their plastic racks. The thermostat that can control 4 different units sounds extremely cool to me since I have no cages that are the same :)

Their plastic racks look pretty decent too, especially like the idea of having belly heat.

Anyone with any info on these items, I would love to see what you have to say about them.

Thanks!

Mickey_TLK
12-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Mike

I have had one of genes controllers for over a month (been meaning to post about it, and keep forgetting).

The unit ROCKS. I have no complaints on it. The buttons are a bit trickey to start, but once you get it set, its set man (unless you change stuff around alot, and even then its not a big hassell). I havent used but a third of the features, but am still very satisfied. I have 4 different racks, at different temps, with a night drop if I wanted (but not being used currently, just have both set at same temp). I would highly reccomend this unit.

I also highly reccomend Genes animals and service. Hes a good guy all the way around. I have dont thousands of dollars of business with Gene and would NOT HESSITATE to deal with him in any way shape or form. I have not seen or used the racks your talking about, but Im sure knowing Gene they are very nice also.

Hope this helps

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

wyblep
12-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Hello there I just bought the S11 rack they are actually built by animal plastics I recieved the rack but the shelves will not be here until tomarrow but I have seen them before and the are really nice they use 1/2'' plastic so it is very sturdy and every thing is machined so all pieces fit together perfect I belive these racks are going to really take off and for all you ball python keepers out ther they have a perfect rack which holds the big blanket boxes 34x17x6 and you dont have to buy the big one for 600-700 dollars that holds 10 boxes they also make it to hold 5 boxes for 300 or so thanks again Paul

pearsontat
12-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Hello,
I have bought 6 GCS controllers. They are great. I would recomend them to everyone! They control 4 cages at once. Other controllers you only control 1 cage. If there is one probe and a bunch of recepticals. What happens if your heat goes out in a cage that does not have a probe? GCS controlers have probes for all 4 cages. If something goes wrong you know it. Night drop is priceless. I have had them for 6 months or more with no problems at all.
God Bless!
Michael Pearson

Animal Plastics
12-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

Gene GCS Reptiles (http://www.kingsnake.com/gcsreptiles/) has definatley taken temperature management to the next level. Along with his four cage unit he also has just introduced a single cage LED proportional temperature controller. I spoke with him a couple of days ago, we are going to be replacing our temp contorllers with Genes line. He is great to talk to and takes pride in his animals and products.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Mark Mertens
Animal Plastics

jasons-jungle
12-10-2003, 08:16 AM
I totally agree. I've been using the 4-node thermostat for a few months now and it's incredible. It is indeed a bit tricky to setup and figure out, but once you do it a few times, you wonder how it was so hard to begin with :)
The multiple zones is a total lifesaver and the built-in night drop is great. An equivalent setup with Helix units (the only other option I'd ever recommended) would cost about $560 ($110@ for DBS-1000 units, then $30@ for night drop, four of each) and I paid less than 1/2 of that and only have one power cord to deal with.
As for the racks, I manufacture my own line of racks and we're kind of competitors, so I should keep my comments to myself :) I will say that the racks are only screwed together and come disassembled. Besides that, they look incredible, they're spaced well, and I've heard good things about the heat cable they're using.
In a nutshell, do NOT be afraid to spend your money on this thermostat, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made and will certainly look to Gene when I need another.
Good luck,
Jason @ Jason's Jungle
http://www.jasons-jungle.com

Animal Plastics
12-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by jasons-jungle
II will say that the racks are only screwed together and come disassembled.

Jason, I think you crossed the line. WE CHOOSE to have our cages and racks dissassmble. It save consumers a ton of money on shipping. Our racks our machined, each cut precisely the same. There is a datto in the sides and back for each shelf to fit into. This allows our racks to actually be stronger than ones that are just glued or welded. You see, we don't have to weld or glue them, which is nice if someone wants to resell or put their rack in storage.

Mark Mertens
Animal Plastics

jasons-jungle
12-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Mark,
Didn't mean to cross the line at all and I did give some compliments as well so I believe it was a fair critiquing. I am not the only one who has made those comments, I have heard the same comments from multiple people.

My thought is that if I (or a customer) is going to drop $300 into a rack system, they should be investing something for the long run, not something that is going to break/wear in a year. By no means am I saying that your stuff is going to break or wear in a year, but explaining why we weld AND screw each one of our joints. I'm sure my shipping costs are a bit higher, you definitely have a point there. I really push the limits of FedEx's shipping restrictions (under the maximum weight by 2 pounds and under their total girth by 2 inches), but fortunately that played into my original design process.

You and I are the only ones that use 1/2" material which I find quite respectable btw, I did forget to mention that as a high point about your racks.

Apologies again, didn't mean for there to be any problems.
Jason @ Jason's Jungle