PDA

View Full Version : as promised.....

Randy F
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
better pictures of the desert fireflies. I love how white their heads are, they look like someone took sandpaper to them. Both of them have the "hooks" in their pattern but the male has more than the female.

***I do want to mention for the sake of information on the deserts. Our desert females are small and do not put on the weight, BUT the desert firefly female puts on weight as fast as any other snake. Out of the same clutch a desert female is half the size of the desert firefly, which is the same size as the male. This goes to the arguement of......if outcrossed with other genes, will it solve the females slow growth and lack of producing?

jack2682
02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
wow Randy, really freakin good looking snakes.

Re: the deserts being mixed with other morphs.. I have a question... the desert, or pastel, or fire is just one gene attached to an allele. Many of those make up the snake's DNA. Well any "plain" desert hatchling has many shared genes with whatever its parents were. Lets say the parents were a desert male and a big healthy normal female. Wouldn't that big healthy normal female contribute just as much to the gene pool as the desert? Wouldn't that mean every "plain" desert is outcrossed (if bred to an unrelated animal) ? My questions being, why would being bred to a fire, or pastel make any difference.

Hoping to hear from the geneticists out there to comment on :)

Randy F
02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
GREAT point Jack. I am going to move this post to the genetics thread. I guess its my fault for combining two things in one thread, sorry.

MrBig
02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Wow stunning animals, even better with the decent pics.

R. Eventide
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Holy gorgeous, Batman! o.O

BaltimoreBees
02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Oh I want one! The hooks are really neat.

KY Reptiles
02-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Wooooooooooooow!!!!