PDA

View Full Version : Feeding schedule?

paintballerpunk722
02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Ok I know this is a BIG debate I have tried a few different feeding schedules over the past couple of years but I have come to the conclusion that every ball is different with each schedule I have a few males 150g-300g that I want t get up to weight to breed and I have 3 females at 800g that I would love to get to weight this season what kind of schedule do u feed to get these size animals up to weight and what size food item? I have animals that will gain 100g every 2-3 weeks on a schedule that fits them and none of my schedules are working for these guys and girls any suggestions would be great

snakesRkewl
02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
No way an 800 gram female makes weight this season, as you mention, 100 grams a month is a good decent weight gain.
Hypothetically speaking, if you breed at 1300 grams you've got 5+ months to get there, you might as well say she's a next season snake.
We offer all ball pythons except the adults 2 times a week, if we have the feeders available to do so.

MrBig
02-14-2012, 11:26 PM
The only differance i make for the ones that I want to put some weight on, is that I push the prey to closer to 20% of body weight. I aim for approximately 15% for all of them, but will push to the next size a little sooner then some. A consistant schedule seems to do more then anything else for me.

Randy F
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
800 grams is a next season snake hopeful. If you try and push a snake to get to size too fast there are consequences. First if she DOES go, she will lay a very small clutch. You have never heard of a 1400 gram snake laying 12 viable eggs. Usually if anything its 2 or 3 slugs and maybe a good egg. Now some believe that if a female produces too early and has a small clutch that she will always have small clutches. Plus you have to remember if she does go before she is ready because she was pushed, will it damage her? Will it cause her to not breed for a couple seasons? Now lets look at the chance you pump her up and she doesn't go.....does she try and keep this food pumping and get obese for next season? I go in to a season looking at snakes that are over 1000 grams as possible for the later part of the season. It is not worth it to push a female and damage her. I have had females get to 1800+ grams in 18 months, those will get a shot to see if they are sexually mature. I know everyone wants to breed as fast as they can but you must think of the risks involved. Would you buy a male breeder to put with your females right away? If you answered yes I will read your "I bought a male with ibd and it wiped out my collection because I didn't quarantine" post. Think of the worst case scenarios when you try to skip a step and then decide whats more important.

B&C Ball Pythons
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
We've gone to a straight once a week for all ages. We were doing 2x a week for younger animals, but now just feed everything once a week and give them seconds or thirds if they want. Seems they are putting on weight just as fast as our old schedule and refuse less often. They are also empty before next feeding. Works well for us, but to each their own :)

paintballerpunk722
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Yea I understand where y'all are comeing from but don't get me wrong I don't want to force feed my snakes to make them gain weight if I don't feel my females are up to weight or ready to breed I am in no hurry to breed them I can wait and by this year I mean around oct I was just looking for different ways to feed better and get better weight on them by then and maybe I worded it wrong in my post

Randy F
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
maybe I worded it wrong in my post

No your good man. Theres no true spoken gospel about how to do it, you do what works for you. I said what I did because a lot of new herpers will read this thread and might not have ever thought of those things. The actions you take when you start out mold your habits, one bad habit can be devastating. People think of mites as being a nuisance, but if they bite a sick snake then bite a healthy one..........! Advice is there for whoever to take, or not. Do your feeding and see how it goes. I offer my snakes meals once a week, but if I see a snake is hungry I will feed again mid week.

paintballerpunk722
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Very good point Randy I am a firm believer in quarantining new animals very very very few exceptions have been made on that rule I know people who have lost there intire collections from not quarantining the new animals and my collection is my life I do the best to make sure all my snakes are well cared for and stay healthy i personally have tired feeding 2 appropriate size feeders twice a week,a little meal on top of a regular meal, multiple small meals,a larger meal once a week and as I said I notice that some take to others better and I was just seeing if anyone had any other ideas

GREGORY J HALL
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
patience lots of it :)

Matt2979
02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
I feed my balls no less than once every 2 weeks, but sometimes twice in the same week. Since I quit trying to push them to the next size prey item as quickly as I could, I found better success in them eating consistently (before they would get to about 600 grams by 6 months old, and then quit eating).

Also, keep in mind that different balls grow at different rates. I've got 2 sisters. 1 is about 1500 grams, the other a little over 600. I've got a female that's 15 months old and over 1500 grams, while several other girls are over 24 months old and still less than 1000 grams. Keeps it interesting...:rolleyes: (lol...that's my excuse for having more than just a few!! :thumbsup:)

RobNJ
02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
I feed once a week, if they don't eat, they wait till next week. The only snakes that ever get offered food more often are breeder females to speed up their weight loss recovery and prepare them for the upcoming season. They generally are offered food every 4-5 days, and need it.

I see no reason to feed more or less, as there's no rush getting anyone up in size. There's also a line to draw between work and play. I keep and breed as a hobby that I enjoy. More feeding will coincidentally lead to more cleaning and the need to breed more rodents which all leans towards more work, and I want to keep things on the relaxing, hobby side of the spectrum.