PDA

View Full Version : evil ball pythons..

jamiryan365
02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
So i recently got a few new snakes added to my collection... well two of my females are completely evil. I got them like a month ago.. and right now they are in a very large glass tank together. i cannot stick my hand in there without risking losing it..! Anyone know of any tricks to calm these girls down? Do i need to seperate them? Or put them in tubs instead of glass or something?

Randy F
02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
if they are that bad try putting a glove on and let them strike and strike at it. After they see it does nothing they quit doing it. Then hold them and get them use to touch. Most get past it as they get bigger. I only have one girl that still strikes all the time and its because she is a retarded spider. She strikes upside down! Usually the ones that strike like that are good feeders though so try and feed them both a couple times a week. Also cover 3 sides of the tank with fish tank back ground or something the likes. The feel like prey with everything going on around them being so small. Also maybe try getting them a hide to help with their nerves. I think between getting them some cover for security and handling them a bit they should calm down for you.......unless they have retarded spider in them!

Focal
02-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Check out Justin Kobylkas video on youtube. I think the account name is jkobylka.

He has a lot of great video's but the one on taming ball pythons is pretty short and did have some great tips.

Basically he puts them in his hand and balls them up. It puts them in defensive mode moreso than aggressive.

I also recommend not giving into their threats and YES, separate them. They could also be stressed from being togther. Make sure they are offered plenty of hiding spots.

jamiryan365
02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
They had hides and everything then they made it a game to come flying through the air from under them! One is indeed a spider. the other is a het ghost. they are both pushin 300 grams. the het is defffffinitely the worst!!! When she sees me walk in she immediately bows up and hisses. The others that came with her are wonderful. they are sweethearts. but these two... wow. and ive tried the glove trick. she isnt interested in that. just my bare hand... and sometimes my face lol.

Focal
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Try startling them with a snake hook or stick first. Sometimes a light touch on the nose will put them back into hiding. Then pull the hide off quick and grab them up. They will hiss and swell up, but it's all show. Once in your hand, cup them up and rub on their heads. After 5-10 minutes of that, put them back and repeat daily.

reptilebaby
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a young male het albino who no one in my house will touch. Last time someone tried holding him(we'll only pick him up with gloves on) He actually started trying to swallow his finger!

And I have an adult normal who strikes at you so hard that when she hits the side of her tub she appears to dislocate her jaw. I haven't tried picking her up yet!

Randy F
02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
hold the glove hand with your bare hand or blow hot air on it. The glove is not giving off a heat signature and thats why they are not striking at it. I have only had to do that a couple times with very aggressive snakes but when I did I let them strike a couple times then picked them up. After they are out of the tub they mellow out a bit so I put them in my non gloved hand. This allows them to get use to being held and if they are going to strike it will be at the gloved hand. Also by this time the gloved hand is not giving a heat signature so it is not feeling like prey when it comes towards it. After they relax a bit stretch them out and hold them so they do not have the ability to strike. After a minute they just move around your hand and arm and just go into explore mode. After you do this a few times they should be more mellow. The glove is good also because when you go in timid it gives them time to go into defensive striking mode. When you go right in they go into defensive ball mode. The longer they get away with it the more they will grow accustom to doing it.

reptilebaby
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
My own male het doesn't calm down when he's out. He'll turn and bite while you're holding him...

snakesRkewl
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
So i recently got a few new snakes added to my collection... well two of my females are completely evil. I got them like a month ago.. and right now they are in a very large glass tank together. i cannot stick my hand in there without risking losing it..! Anyone know of any tricks to calm these girls down? Do i need to seperate them? Or put them in tubs instead of glass or something?Definitely separate them, they are showing you they are stressed out.
There's no need to do anything other than separating them and letting them settle in with their own hides and their own home.
Tubs are definitely the way to go with ball pythons :thumbsup:

jamiryan365
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
yeah the het female was good for a while, then randomly one day someone was holding her and i was standing by them talking and she goes for my face, repeatedly. didnt go after the guy holding her. just kept striking out of his hands towards me! i think the spider just does it cuz the het does. she doesnt actually act mean at all. just looks like a retard trying to do the same thing.. then you touch her and she balls up like a pansy. i am going to seperate them today and let them both calm down for a few days then try to work with them again. and i agree with the "doesnt calm down once he is out, still tries to turn around and bite". thats how she is... maybe she just has a huge dislike for me? who knows! one step at a time! :)

B&C Ball Pythons
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Check out Justin Kobylkas video on youtube. I think the account name is jkobylka.

He has a lot of great video's but the one on taming ball pythons is pretty short and did have some great tips.

Basically he puts them in his hand and balls them up. It puts them in defensive mode moreso than aggressive.

I also recommend not giving into their threats and YES, separate them. They could also be stressed from being togther. Make sure they are offered plenty of hiding spots.

I use that tip as well. Works great!

JustChad04
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
I agree w/ randy, Have a glove handy it saves u money in bandaids.

Also I recommend if you can get them out of the fishtank/glass aquarium. Tubs work well because you can reach in from many angles without having to expose your whole arm. Also a little trick I have when i got grouchy females that I have to move for whatever reason is a spray bottle on mist. They ball up not in fear but because they dont like water on their nose (or so I have heard.) That and split them up and spend more time holding them.

jamiryan365
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Chad, that was funny. I am going to try the bottle thing. if i could get her to ball up rather than just bowing and stiffening up, it would be easier to start messing with her. i think the spider is just doing it from example. so they will definitely be seperated! lets see how many times i can get bit before she finally gives up! ...assuming she will give up!

reptilebaby
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
My big female attacks even when I don't open the tub she's in. She just strikes at me through her tub and I'm surprised she hasn't knocked herself out!

RobNJ
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
I have one big, angry female that seems to enjoy going after me. I just distract her with one hand, and reach around behind her with the other to pick her up...works like a charm. Once she's in my hand, she settles down. That being said, taking a bite is good for you...if you haven't been bitten, it "hurts" to watch it happen, but there's really no pain.

reptilebaby
02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I've been bitten-and it makes me even more careful-the one and only bite I got from my young male het was bloody, and now I am extremely careful. Will NOT pick one up that's acting like it's gonna strike. I make my hubby do it! lol

Method919
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
You need to assess if they are biting in defense or as a feeding response. In this case I would assume it's in defense. Like others said you really should separate them and get them in something that isn't clear. If a snake feels insecure, which they will living in a glass tank with clear walls, it is much more likely to be defensive and bite. So either cover the sides of the tank or get them in something else. That will probably help a lot on it's own.

What I do to pick up a snake that looks bitey is simply take a small hand towel and lower it down on top of their head. Just laying it on them is usually enough to take them out of bite mode, but you're also taking their vision away. Then you can reach around and pick up their body without getting bit.

jamiryan365
02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
evan- thanks! and believe me, they are already seperated and in their own tubs now! the spider is already better, she is a sweetheart again. the het still needs some work! just going to take some time to get her calmed down... (hopefully!)

mgoblue347
02-16-2012, 11:23 PM
I have a female ghost that I got a couple years ago and she would strike all the time, she was around 100 grams so I'd let her tag me every time she wanted to when I'd go to pick her up. She was so small she never drew blood and after about a wk of her striking me she just stopped. I agree with everyone else though, separating them, and moving them to tubs is your best bet to relieve their stress.

Dbz4246
02-18-2012, 04:25 PM
I just think that she wants to give you a big kiss on the forehead, just like my snake did to me! :o
But that's just what I think, I could be wrong though