PDA

View Full Version : Help ASAP.

wormfood
02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
So i just got a young boa dropped on me. not by choice seeing as i have NO room for her. I have not a penny to put towards an enclosure for her atm. I do have 2 balls in 2 separate cages tho. Would it be an issue to put them in the same tank for a couple of weeks until i have the money for a new enclosure for the boa? I would be thoroughly sanitizing the enclosure before putting the boa in the enclosure the ball was in.

The one ball is an adult female, the other is roughly two and male. both healthy as can be. male is extremely docile and the female is kind of skidish, but not nippy. but it should be fine temporarily rite?

wormfood
02-19-2012, 12:38 AM
at the moment the boas is in a big tupperware on top of the balls tank kind of sharing its heat. so infos kind of urgent. thanks!

Snake-Queen
02-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Here is a question, what size are the tanks?

I don't deal in balls much, but from experience with a few I had years ago, they can share an enclosure if it is large enough and has ample hiding spots. However, by placing them in the same enclosure, they will have the opportunity to breed...

Also, remove the boa from the room that contains your pythons. Any new addition needs to be quarantined.

hhmoore
02-19-2012, 01:23 AM
If you don't have room for it, and have not a penny to spend on it, why not put it up for adoption?
I had a card for somebody that did rescues/adoptions, and either covered - our had a person they recommended for the mid-Hudson area...if you're interested, I'll try to track her down. In the mean time, what is the room temp, and the temp in the boas tub? You may be able to get away with the current setup for a short time. It isn't ideal, but if there's change on the horizon....

wormfood
02-19-2012, 01:33 AM
If i can find it a new home before i have the money to set t up with proper care than i absolutely plan on doing so. Im all for the snakes well being before my own reptile addiction. My primary concern is getting her in good care untill then. The larger of the tanks i have that i would be putting the two balls in is 3ft long 1.5ft deep and about 1.5ft tall. If the balls do end up breeding i have a friend that will be here for the ball eggs as soon as i call him. He is already helping me try to find her a new home also.

CornNut
02-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Lots of captive boas carry the Inclusion Body Disease (IBD). It is quickly fatal to pythons. My biggest concern would not be putting the balls together (assuming you are ok with eggs) but making sure the boa is mite free and completely isolated from the balls.

wormfood
02-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Thermostat in the house is set at 75. i just checked the tub and ithe side where the heat lamp is next to is at 82, i moved the thermometer to the other side to get that temp. ive also stabbed like a million holes in the tub for vetination.

And yes that number would be great if you can find it. Also im attending a local expo tomorrow, just to look. So im hoping that will be the end of this and ill find a vendor that will take it(i wouldnt just let it go to joe schmoe at the expo..that rhymed alot)

But i usually prep myself and my knowledge for like a month or so before i actually get any reptile. so my friend showing up at my door saying you have to take this was kind of overwhelming. im probly making a bigger deal out of this than it is....

wormfood
02-19-2012, 02:00 AM
So i went ahead and put the balls together in the larger tank, i moved the boa still in the tub into my bedroom as im currently cleaning and sanitizing the tank the ball was in. As soon as i find it a new home i will clean the tank again and sanitize and return the ball. Ive decided im deff finding it a new home, im not really in the situation to take on another snake.

RobNJ
02-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Lots of captive boas carry the Inclusion Body Disease (IBD). It is quickly fatal to pythons.

The bolded portion is not necessarily true.

So i went ahead and put the balls together in the larger tank, i moved the boa still in the tub into my bedroom as im currently cleaning and sanitizing the tank the ball was in. As soon as i find it a new home i will clean the tank again and sanitize and return the ball. Ive decided im deff finding it a new home, im not really in the situation to take on another snake.

Hope you find a new home for the boa quickly...good luck.

wormfood
02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Sooo i definitely jumped the gun on switching caging and going nuts about the boa that got dropped in my lap. i dont do good in last second type situations.

Sooo... before i went to the expo a friend of mine stopped by to check out the snake... He not only took the snake... he gave me two hundred bucks for it. Now being that another friend gave (or forced) it to me. i called him so i could give him the money and he told me to keep it!

So the boa is now in a good home and the balls are separate in their own tanks.

It gets better..

After looking at all these reps i wish i had money for my fiance meets me there. She hands me $400 bucks said happy late valentines day and sent me on my way. After browsing all the snakes and tanks and set ups. I left with a gorgeous Dumerils boa, a 20 long tank, substrate, hides, heat pad, water dish, and grape vine stick thing. And my fiance got herself another beardie, an awesome slate gray and black female.

So. bad night buggin out over getting a snake dumped on me.
Friend took him the next morning.
$600 later
Dumerils boa, complete set-up, and an awesome beardie.
---and they say money cant buy happiness--

AGoodwin
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
congrats