PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork for Hets

Pocopythons
02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
We are new to ball python breeding and will possibly have some hets we need to ID and have paperwork on. Our question is, how do you go about this and what are the steps that need to be taken for proper ID'ing and paperwork?

Thanks!

blackfriday.tyler.
02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
you would id your animals however you want, i do it this way

bf-php2-2012

Black Friday reptile co is the- bf
poss het pied and clutch #-php2
date-2012

dumje
02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
well...when I sell hets I will attach a picture of the Het. on the reciept...the patterns on these snakes are unique to each individual...colors may change but patterns stay the same...if you are buying hets from someone that is the minimum I would want from them...plus I would have to have some trust in them as well...there have been some fakes out there before...good luck with what you bring in...

FireStorm
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
It is also a good idea to have photos of the parents breeding, IMO.

blackfriday.tyler.
02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
It is also a good idea to have photos of the parents breeding, IMO.

big plus!

hhmoore
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Paperwork is only as good as the person that's backing it.

RobNJ
02-21-2012, 08:58 PM

:iagree:

I've bought hets with no papers and passed on hets with papers for this very reason.

I've been thinking about this as I'll have quite a few hets hatching out this year. While paper work can be reassurance for some, quite a few fake hets have been sold with papers. It's not hard to make up fake paperwork. So what can you do to help yourself....

Document, document, document!

I'm taking pictures of every lock, pictures of moms on eggs, pictures of clutches as soon as they come out of the egg.

Again, pictures can be quite misleading too, but as long as you're representing your animals honestly and documenting everything you can, the rest should come together. I'm not saying selling your hets will be easy, and I'm expecting some difficulty with this as well, but how you represent yourself and how you document your breeding will go a long way.

snakesRkewl
02-21-2012, 11:17 PM
We are new to ball python breeding and will possibly have some hets we need to ID and have paperwork on. Our question is, how do you go about thishttp://www.printwithmypic.com/certificates/formal.php

R. Eventide
02-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Bah, there's no need to use special paper or anything. ;)

As long as it's in writing that the snakes being sold are guaranteed hets for whatever morph (with photos of the guaranteed hets and a signature from the breeder), you should be fine. It's basically a contract, and contracts don't need to be flashy. (As someone else mentioned, pics of the parents copulating can be good to put on the paperwork too, if you have them. If not, then one can use individual pics of the parents.)

This is, of course, ignoring that I think paperwork is a waste of time, in agreement with several others here. If the breeder is already trustworthy, there's no need for paperwork. If the breeder isn't trustworthy, the paper won't be either.

snakesRkewl
02-22-2012, 10:41 PM
The site I posted takes 5 minutes to print a document with a picture...
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/snakesRkewl/female2100hetclowndoc.jpg

Pictures of the lock ups and the sire and dam are not needed on the document and can be sent email to the buyer.

Documents are necessary for the buyer of the snake to be able to sell the snake in the future, you're relationship with the breeder is fine and dandy but it doesn't help the next buyer and the buyer after that....

R. Eventide
02-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Except that anyone can make up fake paperwork along the line of breeder to buyer to buyer to buyer. :shrug01: It all comes down to the buyer (any buyer) trusting the person they're buying from (whether from the breeder or not).

Matt2979
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Jerry, I'm going to have to checkout that site that you linked to. I just went through some frustration, trying to make-up some nice photo ID's for my hets. Despite serving their main purpose of actually identifying the snake that I'm guaranteeing, I HATE the look of them!

One thing that I also do though, is keep a copy of the actual photo (in addition to computer files of the same docs) so that I can easily confirm the validity of the animal's genetics for my customer's future customers. I sign my ID's, but we all know that someone out there can forge any signature.

snakesRkewl
02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
imo if you're not providing paperwork for you're customers you're not going to sell as many hets, especially if you haven't been around for 10 years.

Of course anyone can falsify documents and you want to know who your buying from is trustworthy but that doesn't replace the fact you want paperwork for your customers so they can sell those snakes in the future without taking a bath on them because they have no proof of genetics.

I also keep copies of all paperwork sent out so I can confirm for anyone in the future that the snake in question was indeed produced by me.

Matt2979
02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
you want paperwork for your customers so they can sell those snakes in the future without taking a bath on them because they have no proof of genetics.

Since this is not the BOI, I will not mention any names, but I bought a few hets a couple of years ago from a big breeder (very well known name). Because of this, I assumed that they provided paperwork. Unfortunately, I never asked and I was made...well, what "assumptions" make you.

I've since wanted to sell one of the hets, but have no proof of the genetics. In order to get the full worth (or even close) of the animal, I'll have to produce ghosts with her so that I can put my name on it's genetics. That's exactly why I feel it's important to offer papers with hets.

hhmoore
02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I hated the whole prospect of making up paperwork...and when I encountered a customer that wanted it, I opted to set up a template from my website & email it. No screwing around with getting a printed form that looked good, easy record keeping, and pretty easy for the recipient to keep track of.

mgoblue347
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I would want paperwork such as Jerry and Harald provided when buying a het. I understand what Krystal is saying and all, but Jerry made a great point that when selling a het later down the road, it makes it difficult if you don't have the original paperwork from the buyer.

GREGORY J HALL
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

:iagree:

R. Eventide
02-24-2012, 03:01 AM
Oh, I'm not saying I refuse to provide paperwork if asked for. If people want paperwork, I'll certainly make some. Just did a couple weeks ago. And I do understand it makes things a bit easier if the snake goes through several owners.

But in the end, for me, it's still just a sheet of paper with ink on it.

Pocopythons
03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the info and input!!! Looks like proper documentation along with pics, pics and more pics may be the way we go.