PDA

View Full Version : New morph....Monarch Ball

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share some pics of what I have decided is a new morph. I have spoke with several of the well known breeders in the industry, and so far, nobody has much of an idea of what this snake is. Suggestions have been...orange ghost, ultramel, crider albino, caramel, etc...I have held this snake up to several of these morphs, and the difference is night and day. I'm not here to make waves or upset people by claiming this is a new morph, but I'm ready to call this new snake the " Monarch Ball" I have proved it out as a simple recessive gene. I have posted pics on here before, of the first clutch that I produced, and also the second. If you have any ideas, comments, or can point me in any direction, please do.

The short story......I purchased two very ugly pastel from my step-sisters boyfriends friend back in late 1999. The snakes barely ate over the course of 10 years, but finally came around in 2009. I bred the two pastel together and produced what I am now calling a pastel monarch, and a pastel monarch genetic stripe. There were only two good eggs in the clutch. It seemed as though the ugly pastels were double hets......het for the new gene, Monarch, and also Genetic Stripe. How crazy is that, but it's true! The next year the ugly pastels produced, which was 2011, I got 2 super pastels, 1 genetic stripe, 1 pastel genetic stripe, 1 super pastel genetic stripe, 1 Monarch, and 1Monarch Stripe!!

Please enjoy the pics and I will be happy to answer ANY questions you might have!

Thanks, Rance

AbsoluteApril
02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
moved this to the discussion forums

MrBig
02-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Post pics of the parents then post pics with what each one is supposed to be individually please.

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Bare with me, I'm not very good at this computer stuff!

Here is a pic of the parents that I picked up in 99'

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
The top snake is the single gene morph...Monarch, and the bottom snake is a Monarch Genetic Stripe, which is a double recessive snake.

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Pastel Monarch 66% poss het for Genetic Stripe

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
This is a Pastel Monarch Genetic Stripe....could be a super, just don't know yet!

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:32 PM
On the last pic of the pastel monarch genetic stripe......I meant it could be a super pastel.

mgoblue347
02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Those are some smoking snakes whatever they are. What a come up with what was thought to be two pastels. Bet you spent a lot on them back in 99 though. Congrats.

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:38 PM
This is the Monarch Ball

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Actually the guy was pretty much just dumping them, so they were fairly cheap. Just glad I actually bred them together after all those years!

MonarchBall
02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Here is the Monarch Ball next to a firefly (pastel fire)

gotbit1985
02-22-2012, 11:57 PM
:thumbsup:Beautiful, I beleive I have an import that looks very similar

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Gotbit,

I'd have to say that of all the possible snakes I have seen pictures of, yours definitely looks like it could be the same morph.......breed it out!!!

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Gotbit,

If we ever wanted to put the snakes side by side, we only live about 4 hours apart. I figure Tulsa would be about half way for both of us....just a thought!

Double B Reptiles
02-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Pastel Monarch 66% poss het for Genetic Stripe

Man I am loving this pastel monarch. Monarch is very strange for a recessive gene. Almost like a less intense T+ Albino. I love the way it cleans up the pastels pattern. Any fertility issues in the females? Kinking or other deformities?

Double B Reptiles
02-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Then again also kinda looks like a new form of Xanthism.

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 12:30 AM
So far I have had no birth defects of any kind. Two clutches from the original parents, and three clutches from the pastel monarch. He has bred one normal female, and all the babies were good. He has also bred a het albino, and all babies were good. The last clucth from him will hatch on March 3rd, and it was Pastel Monarch X Pastel

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 12:39 AM
I was blown away at how much the Monarch gene lightened up the Genetic Stripe.....crazy! Here is a picture of a Genetic Stripe, which is in a shed, and the Monarch Genetic Stripe. Imagine how this will brighten other genes up!!!

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Here is a pic of the Monarch that I just took with my Iphone, no flash! Plus an extra pic of a 6ft. Fer-de-Lance I caught in the Amazon Jungles of Peru

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Here is a pic of the Monarch, lying on top of the Pastel Monarch

Double B Reptiles
02-23-2012, 01:07 AM
It would be intresting to see what it does to genes in the lesser complex, as well as fire/vanilla types. Dont get me wrong, the genetic stripe monarch is awesome, but I just keep staring at that pastel monarch. super nice. It glows haha. :thumbsup:

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Yeah, it will be exciting to see what it does with other combos!!!

mgoblue347
02-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Since you got the original "pastel" pair for so cheap. Tell ya what, I'll take em off your hands for say idk $500? lol

FireStorm
02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Very cool...I love the Monarch Gstripe...wonder what a monarch caramel would look like.

gotbit1985
02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
I would love to meet up with you some time and compare what we have. I would like to talk to you when ya get time so either pm or email and ill send ya my number in a pm soon.

pythonpaintjobs
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Rance that's some very interesting combo's. I really like the potential of other combo's with Monarch in them. So when are you going to start releasing some of these for purchase?

BaltimoreBees
02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I really like it whatever it is :o) Very nice gene combos. I'll have to put those on my dream list. Good luck on March 3rd and you should post up pictures of any other combos you do.

BaltimoreBees
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
:) * Now I could do the embarrassed one lol

Goombas Reptiles
02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow those are gorgeous. Oddly enough, I am working on a project that appears similar and they are from pet store snakes bought back in 1998. My friend tried to fish the pictures out but nobody was able to shed any light on it. Now some time has passed and I acquired the parents and several of the odd siblings. Some newer morphs have emerged that I feel look similar as well but those who "own" the morph say otherwise, so I keep moving along. The son should be big enough to breed next season coming up. I kinda wish I had some direction but it will be nice to see what comes of it. I think we should all keep in touch lol

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy252/Goombas_bucket/104_0045.jpg

blackfriday.tyler.
02-23-2012, 10:17 PM
too cool, congrats, beautiful and insane story!

MonarchBall
02-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Hello all, thanks for all the positive words, makes it that much better!

Chris, I'm not sure when I will be willing to sell some animals. At this time, I only have pastels 100% het for Monarch 50% poss het for albino, and normals 100% het for Monarch 50% poss het for albino. The I simply have pastels 100% het for Monarch and normals 100% het for Monarch. I just don't know if I should sit on them for another year???

Tony, looks like you have a very nice snake there....don't be discouraged by what people say. Just keep plugging away and you never know what you might end up with, especially these days

Bob O'Brien
02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Rance that is insane how that worked out for you, the odds of those Pastels from that long ago being double het for something have to be worse then hitting the lotto, I think you should buy a ticket! Congrats on a great find and keep us posted on the project and if decide to let any go.

Focal
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Very nice project!! I wouldn't let a het go for anything under $2K

RobNJ
02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Great story Rance! I definitely like what's going on with this gene and would like to see more.

I just don't know if I should sit on them for another year???

I would at least for another year. If you have the time and space, I think you should build up your stock of them and make a few more combos.

Rance that is insane how that worked out for you, the odds of those Pastels from that long ago being double het for something have to be worse then hitting the lotto, I think you should buy a ticket!

:iagree: That is crazy...

Very nice progect!! I wouldn't let a het go for anything under $2K

I wouldn't even put a price on them honestly...I'd hang on to them, build up my stock of hets and visuals a little, and spend that time marketing/promoting/shopping them around. Someone may very well jump on them with an offer that exceeds the price you'd ask for them.

JustChad04
02-24-2012, 01:53 PM
very cool animals! the monarch G-Stripe looks like a champagne! Im curious of the lesser X monach mix too maybe a new BEL?

gotbit1985
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Highly doubt the lesserxmonarch would be bel, the monarch is recessive and lesser is codom as well as all others in the bel complex

MonarchBall
02-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Bob,

I went and bought a lotto ticket tonight.....come on lady luck!! Yeah, it's crazy to think that these two pastels from 99' are double recessive for Genetic Stripe, and Monarch!

Let me ask you guys this....what would you breed back to the original pastel double het female? I can breed the Monarch Pastel 66% poss het for Stripe, or I have a male Monarch Genetic Stripe that should be able to go. I just really want to get away from poss hets. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Let me know if you have any questions....you can pm me if you prefer

MonarchBall
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
I think you are all right......I will probably sink this gene into as many different morphs as I can. I'm curious as to what it will do to the fire gene? Simply because the fire gene seems to brighten things up! Have a great night!

MonarchBall
02-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Here is a pic from 09' of the first babies I had. Pastel Monarch Genetic Stripe, and a Pastel Monarch!

MonarchBall
02-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Here is another pic of the the Pastel Monarch Genetic Stripe and Pastel Monarch after their very first shed....

scratchypen
02-25-2012, 03:24 AM
DUDE!! YOU ARE SO FRICKEN LUCKY!! If only!!!...lol. You are my hero. Lol.

As far as letting any go..As much as I want one..DONT! Not at least I say until you have bred it with as many morphs as you have available to do so with. And, when you finally do start selling them, only sell females!

A fairly new morph, the trick gene, I think is going for $15k currently..and as far I know that is a co-dom, so, with a visual you could easily charge more then that. (back in the day black eyed lucys were going for 100k..werent they?). And for hets, you could charge a hefty penny for the first few you let go for sure! Good luck on a totally kick ass project and now Im going to go to a corner and pray to the odds gods that they look down on me with good luck as well!

Zombie's Morphs
02-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Here is another pic of the the Pastel Monarch Genetic Stripe and Pastel Monarch after their very first shed....

:eek::bow01: B E A U T I F U L ! Congrats, and please keep us posted :thumbsup:

FireStorm
02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Bob,

I went and bought a lotto ticket tonight.....come on lady luck!! Yeah, it's crazy to think that these two pastels from 99' are double recessive for Genetic Stripe, and Monarch!

Let me ask you guys this....what would you breed back to the original pastel double het female? I can breed the Monarch Pastel 66% poss het for Stripe, or I have a male Monarch Genetic Stripe that should be able to go. I just really want to get away from poss hets. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Let me know if you have any questions....you can pm me if you prefer

I would go with the Monarch Stripe. Eventually (when you are looking for somewhere new to go with the project) I think it would be cool to throw axanthic in there...I bet the Axantic Pastel Monarch Gstripe would be super clean. Or maybe Clown Pastel Monarch. So much potential...:)

MonarchBall
02-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the comments. I will keep the updates coming

Jonas@Balls2TheWall
02-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Awesome stuff dude! There is still a lot for you to learn from that morph, I would hold on to everything until I knew exactly how the gene behaved. So far it looks very promising. I would put one of the monarch males to a normal just to make sure you have a recessive on your hands.

MonarchBall
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
JBall,

I have already bred the Pastel Monarch to normal females, and pastel females. The offspring are normals, pastels, and super pastels 100% percent het for Monarch. Not only that, but the original parents are not expressing anything special, and I have produced Monarchs from both of these cluthes.

MonarchBall
03-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the positive comments!