PDA

View Full Version : New pickup from BHB!

oskyle1567
02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Got this little girl not even an hour ago! Pics with my BEL "Butter Mojave" I picked up last month

oskyle1567
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
The last ones my fav!

Rock Star Reptile
02-29-2012, 12:05 PM
How about that 1 hr QT.. lawlz
Nice looking ball ya have there..

oskyle1567
02-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah i know lol oops haha its coming from a quality supplier bhb is top notch so im not worried

hhmoore
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
:rolleyes_
Lousy thought process, and one that defeats the whole idea of quarantine; but good luck.

Bumble Boy
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
If u have to quarrantine animals from anyones collection then they shouldnt be brought in the first place. IF you know where your animals come from and the person keeps a good husbandry then its good,

snakesRkewl
02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
If u have to quarrantine animals from anyones collection then they shouldnt be brought in the first place. IF you know where your animals come from and the person keeps a good husbandry then its good,BHB is known for sending snakes with mites, have done it many times, check the BOI if you don't believe me.
You absolutely have to quarantine any animal from any breeder, period.
If you don't and you brag about not quarantining, you get a spot on mine and on many peoples do not buy from list...

Not a smart comment Ernest...

Randy F
02-29-2012, 03:42 PM
You absolutely have to quarantine any animal from any breeder, period.
If you don't and you brag about not quarantining, you get a spot on mine and on many peoples do not buy from list...

Not a smart comment Ernest...

:iagree:

Amelanistic Orca
02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
How about that 1 hr QT.. lawlz
Nice looking ball ya have there..

:yesnod::bang:

Rock Star Reptile
02-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Nahh it's fine .. the snake only had herpes once.. they were small at that.. lmao..
:)
We would just hate to hear how you had to learn the hard way one day. Maybe not with this animal but with the next..

crookedantler
02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Both look very nice! Good luck with them.

scratchypen
02-29-2012, 07:20 PM
This is the second post I have noticed in the last two days that quarantine hasnt been done because animals were from a "quality supplier". The ONLY individuals I do not do quarantine with are people I do breeding projects with locally because I talk with them on a regular basis and see their animals on a regular basis and know what snakes they have coming in and their procedures for making sure they all stay safe and am updated on the health of their snakes. Sometimes, even then, I quarantine my girls/boys after I get them back if I feel that they may have been put into danger of catching something. It is far easier not to have to deal with quarantine, until that one time when something comes into your collection which could kill. Lately, it seems the outcome has been the same from many who have not practiced quarantine. RIs have been on the rise and spreading like wildfire. Mites are easy to treat and do preventative treatment with, but, those RIs and IBD are an invisible thing which can not show itself for quite some time. Several larger breeders dont practice quarantine, but, they have the money to be able to take a loss if they lost some of their snakes. I do snake breeding because not only are these animals super fun to breed, but, they are my family and pets, and, losing one weighs on my soul. Several people who I know have had the recent RI kill some of their snakes, even though they are 'careful', but, all it took was that one time of not quarantining. I even go to the extent of changing my clothes when I walk in the door and washing up if Im coming from somewhere that I know had to deal with RIs in the past.

oskyle1567
02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah I should have taken the proper precautions

Show Me
02-29-2012, 07:31 PM
I love the both of them!!! :)

oskyle1567
02-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Nahh it's fine .. the snake only had herpes once.. they were small at that.. lmao..
:)
We would just hate to hear how you had to learn the hard way one day. Maybe not with this animal but with the next..

HAHA But seriously I know its not the best idea and its not good practice

Double B Reptiles
02-29-2012, 10:34 PM
I feel there is a big difference between buying from a big breeder and buying from a friend, as in my case without a quarantine period. If you know the breeder on a personal level, have seen his collection, hung out at the breeders house for more than just the 15 min period to buy the snake(s), and also picked up several animals from them without any previous issues introducing the animal into your colony, it makes for a different situation. Buying from a reputable breeder across the nation with little contact to their collection or them in general would definitely call for a quarantine. If my buddy I bought from had any issues with illness in the recent couple of months, obviously, quarantine would be necessary. Different situations call for different measures of precaution, given if you are over precautious, chances of anything happening get even lower, but when the risk is extremely low, like my case, I don't feel that it is necessary to be border line obsessive compulsive about it. Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Hope everyone is having a great season!

R. Eventide
03-01-2012, 03:28 AM
With regards to "big" and/or "trustworthy" breeders, think of it this way....

Let's say there are two breeders with nice, healthy snakes--no sicknesses of any kind--but both of these breeders ignore quarantine. What happens if Breeder #1 buys a snake from Breeder #2, and Breeder #2 just bought a new snake? If that new snake is sick but isn't showing signs yet, then Breeder #2's entire collection has probably been exposed to it, completely unbeknownst to Breeder #1. Breeder #1, then, also doesn't quarantine, thereby exposing their entire collection to it as well.

Doesn't matter from whom you buy your snakes. Quarantine, quarantine, quarantine!

That being said, it's a gorgeous Spinner!

Montoya
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
I feel there is a big difference between buying from a big breeder and buying from a friend, as in my case without a quarantine period. If you know the breeder on a personal level, have seen his collection, hung out at the breeders house for more than just the 15 min period to buy the snake(s), and also picked up several animals from them without any previous issues introducing the animal into your colony, it makes for a different situation. Buying from a reputable breeder across the nation with little contact to their collection or them in general would definitely call for a quarantine. If my buddy I bought from had any issues with illness in the recent couple of months, obviously, quarantine would be necessary. Different situations call for different measures of precaution, given if you are over precautious, chances of anything happening get even lower, but when the risk is extremely low, like my case, I don't feel that it is necessary to be border line obsessive compulsive about it. Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Hope everyone is having a great season!

Call me complete OCD if you must. Everything entering here goes into QT regardless of where it came from. Granted the times may vary on how long depending on where it came from. If you have money invested, it only makes sense to protect that investment.

To address your point some, I was recently contacted by a local guy who has bought a few snakes from me. He wanted my advice on how to go about handling a problem he had with a purchase from another local breeder and friend. A 400g snake did not eat for two months and dropped dead, he went on to tell me another person bought two and the same scenerio happened. I asked him about his quarantine practice and he had not taken any precautions. He exposed his entire collection to something potentially deadly. Just because you know someone doesn't mean things can't happen.

In the case of the OP, he bought a BP from a breeder notorious for having a mite problem, which is not good. He should begin treating now to make sure they don't pop up soon and make things worse.

MrBig
03-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I qt EVERYTHING that comes in, even the ones from friends. However what noone noticed is that the other snake better still be in QT, he's only had it a month. Now I do not recommend letting snakes in QT crawl on each other, but let me ask you guys this; How many of you QT each individual purchase seperate from your other QT snakes? I'm betting very few of you. I personally have a QT rack that houses all new snakes, if a new one comes in while there are snakes in the rack then QT time for all snakes is reset. This QT area is on a differant level of the house from my collection. Now if I get a snake I am leary of or is a rescue then they are kept in a tank on a completely differant level of the house from the other 2. All 3 areas have their own water bowls, rags, feeding tongs and spare bins. QT time is a minimum of 4 months for people I "trust" and 6 months for everything else. I've heard more then a few recent horror stories, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Matt2979
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Gorgeous snakes with good genetics, which is what made me cringe even more.

I've just been talking to someone this morning that just had a couple of snakes die on her that showed NO signs of being sick last night!! When I asked about QT, she responded that yes she quarantines all new purchases...for a minimum of one week. I'm working with her now, hoping to hear that she gets a necropsy, and more hopeful that it will come back with results that rule out IBD!!!

As I went on to explain to her, I quarantine for an absolute minimum of 30 days, and that's only from breeders I know personally, have seen their collections numerous times, and know that they've not brought any new animals in for at least a couple of months. Anything else goes a minimum of 60 days, and anything that shows ANYTHING out of the ordinary will stay in for a minimum of 90 days AFTER that sign/symptom (whatever was "out of the ordinary") is gone. Each case is handled differently, but those numbers are minimum.

And Mike (MrBig) made a great point; if you're forced to put different animals in QT together (from different purchases), time must be reset with the newest animal's arrival, or you're just shooting yourself in the foot. Best case scenario would be to find a way to not put them together (in QT).

oskyle1567
03-01-2012, 11:42 AM
I dont have much of a collection at all these are going to be my only snakes until they get of size. I would think i should just keep an eye on both considering my circumstances? Or should i leave them separated just incase? I picked up the BEL a couple weeks ago

Rock Star Reptile
03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Really if this is your only two snakes then just keep all others away if you get new ones. Cause you would hate to start the QT all over again. Obviously hand wash between holding each one. etc etc.. If you have others and have had these two in the same rack or room or forgot to wash hands .. well everything should be Qt'd then.. If by some way you only had these two by themselves away from any others you have had. then keep them away and QT in separate areas of course.. Gets a bit confusing but I hope ya get the meaning some how..

dustinNMpythons
03-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Very good looking snakes, keep up the good work on new additions and take the advice others have given and you will be just fine :thumbsup:

Focal
03-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Very nice snakes!! I won't repeat everything that's been said, but it's still not too late to QT both of them from each other. I hope for the best, but if I did buy from BHB, I would QT twice as long as normal. Not trying to be funny, but she is probably carrying eggs since it seems they just spray them with lice treatment before sending them out. If that's the case, they will hatch in a few weeks and infect the other snake.

R. Eventide
03-04-2012, 02:05 AM
but let me ask you guys this; How many of you QT each individual purchase seperate from your other QT snakes? I'm betting very few of you.

It's not much of an issue for me because it's extremely rare for me to have more than one snake in quarantine at any given time. In fact, the only couple of times it's happened, two arrived from the same place in the same box, and the other involved two snakes that arrived within a couple weeks of each other. In both cases, they were put in the same quarantine. Sorry, but some of us don't have huge houses with upstairs, downstairs, or otherwise have a lot of space. I have a small place, so I have only one quarantine area. But I most certainly do reset the quarantine clock if another snake arrives.

And I quarantine for four months...in case anyone was wondering.... ;)

CornNut
03-04-2012, 03:12 AM
OK, this is secondhand info but I was told that most all of the big breeders have had AT LEAST one incidence where something went through and killed most of their collections. From a mathematical perspective the more snakes you have with new projects added all the time the more chance you have to pick something up. Maybe this was all ancient history and by now they have learned how to keep 100% clean and it really is the little not yet educated guys you need to worry about. Best to be safe and quarantine them all.

hhmoore
03-04-2012, 03:42 AM
There was an issue at one of the big name breeders within the last couple of years, so it isn't too ancient history...

oskyle1567
03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the great info guys! ill keep a good eye on them, keep them separated and watch out for symptoms of mites and ri's

Matt2979
03-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Now that we got all of the QT info taken care of (obviously an extremely important step)...gorgeous animals! Great pics, too!