PDA

View Full Version : Ball Python 'Poop' Question

Erika N.
03-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I know this may sound strange and all but I am curious to know how long it normally takes for a Ball Python to digest and well, poop.

The whole story behind the question....

I just recently, within the last 3 weeks, rescued a Ball Python. 'She' is 2 years old and was originally bought at the local PetSmart. She is size of a hatchling, still. In saying that she is barely a foot long and hardly weighs anything. I don't have a scale yet to tell you exactly how much she weighs.

Before obtaining her I learned that she was only being fed a fuzzy mouse every other week though she never passed up a meal. She was severally dehydrated and did not have proper heating or even a hide. I moved her to a new tank with a heating pad, hides, and a large but shallow watering dish. As with any snake I left it alone for 4 days before taking her out to check her over again. Aside from the problems mentioned above nothing else was obviously wrong so I decided to feed her.

Rather then going straight to a rat pinkie, which is bigger then a fuzzy mouse, I gave her the next size up. A F/T Hopper mouse. Within seconds of her seeing it she had already struck and coiled around it. Here may be where the problem started. Instead of head first she swallowed it feet first. I let her be until the item was down to her mid section and then put her back into her viv. I waited another 3 days before checking on her and was happy to see that she hadn't regurgitated it.

Now though we are quickly approaching Sunday, which is feeding day, and I have yet to see any signs of feces. Is this normal? Should I wait to feed her again until I see it?

Thanks,
Erika

B&C Ball Pythons
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I've noticed most of our animals poop around 4-6days after feeding on a 7day feeding schedule. I'm sure it's different for shorter schedules.

As far as feet first. I've had several do that when they were younger, but didn't have an issues digesting and grew outta the habit.

Erika N.
03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
So should I wait? Or just feed her again and then if I do not see anything a few days after that take her to the vet?

B&C Ball Pythons
03-02-2012, 01:27 PM
If it's only been three days and she's extremely underweight then I'd just keep feeding her. She's probably absorbing most of what she's eating. Just don't give her anything too big and she should be ok. Also try to give her rats instead of mice if possible.

Willow
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Going in feet first doesn't matter once tummy acids turn you to mush =) I'm sure she will be fine. If she isn't looking bloated I'm sure feeding her again is fine.

Focal
03-02-2012, 02:03 PM
She's fine. I've seen them eat rats backwards while the rat was still alive. Have a video of it too. Kind of scary.

I keep logs of all my poop records and most poop within a week of eating IF they are on a regular eating schedule of 5-7 days.

My non-feeders and breeding males that are off feed can take up to a month to poop sometimes.

Hatchlings can sometimes take a while to poop. My best hatchling eaters will eat up to four meals before they poop.

Also, if you do not have the enough heat for the snake to properly digest, it will take a while also.

Erika N.
03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad to know that its fairly normal.

scratchypen
03-03-2012, 03:44 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about it yet. If you keep feeding her and you still see no poop after 2 or 3 more feedings then I might start to worry. Just make sure you you dont over feed her since she has been starved for so long. Start her out slow. In your case a rat fuzz every 4 days to start should be sufficient and then after a couple weeks hike it up a tad, i.e. maybe every 2 or 3 days or bigger/more food item. Im dealing with a similar situation right now. I had to have some of my friends take care of some of my snakes because our current living situation does not allow us to have everyone here unfortunately. :( Well, I finally just had to pick some of my snakes up from this person because they were half dead from her not feeding them (she claims they wouldnt eat, but, I fed them tonight and they were so hungry they started eating their mice before it was even dead!). Poor things, if only I wouldve known..but, anyways, they are hatchling size so I am feeding them mouse fuzzies to start and then I will bring it up a size once they dont look half dead anymore.

Matt2979
03-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Because of how little she's been fed, I would not worry at all. Snakes are great at getting every last bit of nutrients they can from each meal. When meals are scarce, their poop will be, too. I would continue to offer her food on a normal schedule, and slowly increase the size of each meal.

Have any pics to share? :D

Erika N.
03-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Because of how little she's been fed, I would not worry at all. Snakes are great at getting every last bit of nutrients they can from each meal. When meals are scarce, their poop will be, too. I would continue to offer her food on a normal schedule, and slowly increase the size of each meal.

Have any pics to share? :D

I do have pictures, but I can't seem to find my camera's cord to hook it into the computer. I've been searching for it for the past week. Hopefully I'll find it tonight when I go through some old boxes tonight though.

mgoblue347
03-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Post the video Nick?

Erika N.
03-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Well I was going to fed her tomorrow night but, she just went into blue. Guess I'll just have to wait. :P

Focal
03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Post the video Nick?

I'll PM you the link. It's rather disturbing :D

R. Eventide
03-06-2012, 04:35 AM
Wow, y'all's BPs poop a lot! Only my hatchlings poop more than about once every other month, and that's feeding weekly! :P

I agree with the others and say give her a bit. If you wait a while and start getting concerned, put her in some lukewarm water for a little while. That sometimes helps them loosen their bowels.