PDA

View Full Version : LLLReptile Deceptive Sales Practices

E2MacPets
04-23-2004, 02:30 PM
I looked into a special LLLReptile are running on some of their zoomed canned foods. I was looking to purchase a very high quantity and the price is rediculously low. There has to be a catch right? Well I found out what it is:

They marked all the cans which are on 'special' as being 'overweight' while the normally priced cans are calculated for shipping normally. How does this affect the prices? Well obviously the discounted cans are now going to cost as much or more than the regularly priced cans!

Zoomed Canned Bearded Dragon Food 3 for 0.99 (http://lllreptile.com/v2/content/catalog/?product_string=zoo-med-canned-bearded-dragon-food-adult-formula)

This product is over normal shipping weight. You will be informed of additional cost with your confirmation email.

Zoomed Canned Iguana Food, normal price $2.79ea (http://lllreptile.com/v2/content/catalog/?section_string=care-supplies&category_string=canned-food-and-diets&product_string=zoo-med-canned-iguana-food-adult-formula)

dwedeking
04-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Steve,

I think the issue you are seeing is because of a limitation in their shopping cart instead of deception.

Here is their shipping cost policy (off of their website):

"Shipping prices: Supplies

$0.01 - $19.00 $5.95
$19.01 - $29.00 $6.95
$29.01 - $39.00 $7.95
$39.01 - $59.00 $8.95
$59.01 - $99.99 $9.95
$100+ 10% of total

UPS Ground shipping can vary, depending on how much your order weighs. If shipping changes drastically, we will notify you.
Shipping on oversized items or overweight items like sand, bulk bedding, glass terrariums, and other large items require extra shipping charges. You will be notified of shipping charges before your order is processed. "

So they pull the shipping costs based by the product pricing instead of the product weight. Since the products are dramatically reduced it would skew their shipping pricing. They marked it as "overweight" so they can manually inform you of the shipping costs (as opposed to UPS Overweight which is a dimenisonal charge).

This is an "old school" shopping cart system way of doing things. Antiquated but not necessarily deceptive.