PDA

View Full Version : Reptile Store

areptileguy
09-09-2004, 09:48 PM
This may have been asked before, but is it possible to run a reptile and reptile supply retail business? Threads I've seen from other boards provided mostly discouraging advice. Is this discouraging advice mostly true or are those people simply trying to ward off competition by making it sound like all doom and failure? I think a reptile retail store with a nation website (such as LLLReptile and Pro Exotics) stands as much of a chance as any other business venture. Opinions?

odatria
09-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by areptileguy
This may have been asked before, but is it possible to run a reptile and reptile supply retail business? Threads I've seen from other boards provided mostly discouraging advice. Is this discouraging advice mostly true or are those people simply trying to ward off competition by making it sound like all doom and failure? I think a reptile retail store with a nation website (such as LLLReptile and Pro Exotics) stands as much of a chance as any other business venture. Opinions?

Since you mentioned Pro Exotics, why dont you give them a call and inquire about the closing of their retail location? The retail reptile business is discouraging to say the least. If Pro Exotics cant keep a retail store afloat with all of the resources and finances available to them, I think you should consider the advice you have seen elsewhere. Obviously I am not saying that it is impossible. But in order to succeed you will need one hell of a business model and ALL of the finances to pull it off in advance.

MGReptiles
09-29-2004, 11:04 PM
I really dont think it is a good idea for a "retail reptile business" but an internet would do fine I beleive. Where I live in WV there are pet shops that do the reptile thing and they seem to do fine with what they carry. For the most part what there big source of income is fish. If you are a large scale breeder then the net and shows are the ways to go. You have a market of all over America when you get your name out and you do people right they will some back. When opening a retail location you are really just at the mercy of what the prople want that are within 50 miles or so from you. They can order things on the net breeder direct for what it would cost to come and see you for what gas prices are. I would love to open a shop but I do not think just reptiles would fly...JMHO,
-Matt