PDA

View Full Version : Ball pythons are very social !?!

Droptine10
04-20-2015, 11:50 AM
I have recently gotten back into keeping ball pythons,
I don't have them in individual tubs yet, so 2 females and 1 male share a 40 breeder for now.
It's tight but I set it up with 2 warm hides, 55% to 65% humidity and an ambient around 80 to 81.
No matter what I do to try to get them to split up between the
hides they won't do it !!!
Even when I have them out and put them back in, (having them go into different hides) they ALL want to be in the same hide.
So today I picked up one of those large black hides, I took the one hide out.
They all found their way into the one big hide.
All looking as comfy as 3 bugs in a rug.
They don't seem to be stressing at all , still all on feed , it's kinda funny.

Occidentalis
04-20-2015, 02:06 PM
They are just competing for the optimal spot. They are not social.

Split them up.

bcr229
04-20-2015, 02:43 PM
I have recently gotten back into keeping ball pythons,
I don't have them in individual tubs yet, so 2 females and 1 male share a 40 breeder for now.
So... a week ago you said you were co-habitating two BP's in one enclosure. I told you then to build a rack because you would be getting another ball python at some point - and with snakes "at some point" my personal experience has been sooner rather than later.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526270

So, in the past week BP #3 arrives, and instead of quarantining it you drop it into the 40-breeder with the other two. First, you really need too read about quarantine and what can happen when you don't.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220629

Second, either build a rack or set your snakes up in their own enclosures. At this point a rack would probably be cheaper. They are not being social or cuddling, they are competing for the best spot on the heat.

Pasodama
04-20-2015, 08:02 PM
I agree with both Alex and Melinda.
Please follow their advice.

Droptine10
04-20-2015, 10:17 PM
I'm going to, don't worry !!

Pasodama
04-20-2015, 11:06 PM

Awesome! :thumbsup:

demonss
04-20-2015, 11:09 PM

When? It kind of seems like you don't want to take any advice but if you cant afford a rack you could set them up in 10 gallon tanks for now. Also I would set up a quarantine room before you get any more snakes.

hhmoore
04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
if you cant afford a rack you could set them up in 10 gallon tanks for now.
10 gallon tanks? Let's be realistic. He posted the size of the first two in the other thread - they aren't babies, and neither is the new one.
Dave reached out to me last evening; and we're discussing rack options. Based on my past experiences with him, I'm confident that he wants to take good care of his snakes...and that he'll be adjusting their accommodations is short order.

bcr229
04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
When? It kind of seems like you don't want to take any advice but if you cant afford a rack you could set them up in 10 gallon tanks for now. Also I would set up a quarantine room before you get any more snakes.
His first 2 BP's are running around 1000 grams each, so a 10-gal tank isn't going to cut it.

Reptile Frenzy
04-22-2015, 04:41 PM
I cant really knock anyone for keeping snakes together. When i was in my rookie days we had a smaller male in his own 10 gallon, had 2 males in a 55 gallon, had 2 males and 2 females in a 90 gallon aquariums. Didnt have one problem except them breeding which wasent a problem because they were up to weight.

In your case they are all going to the same hot spot. Snakes tend to stay together. I have witnessed several balled up together even in the middle of a tank.

Droptine10
04-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Hh is going to help me get them set up right ,, I don't like them all using the same warm hide.
I thought for sure they would split up between the 2 hides but like it was stated, they do like to stay together.
I will make sure to let you guys know when they are all set up properly !

Droptine10
04-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Ok , my snakes each have their own tub.
Cypress mulch, a hide on the warm end
and small water bowl.
I went with the larger heat pad, I'm hoping
it keeps the ambient temp good.

Reptile Frenzy
04-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Good job Dave!

Droptine10
04-24-2015, 07:58 PM
:-) thanks,, now if I can just get them to eat on a regular basis , ;-)

Reptile Frenzy
04-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Goodluck man! Saves on the rat bill!