PDA

View Full Version : urgent question!

EMcGuckin86
04-22-2015, 03:54 AM
Hi, I'm getting a ball python tomoorow that is in VERY bad shape. I can't get him to the vet til Friday, he does have some pretty bad wounds on his sides. I've cared for a snake in simliar condition but am looking for tips. He's off the bedding he was on and now on paper towl to help keep clean.

hhmoore
04-22-2015, 07:42 AM
If his condition is so poor that you are stressed about a 1 day delay in getting him to the vet; why are you taking him? Since you've "cared for a snake in similar condition", use that experience to guide you (that is not a sarcastic, or apathetic, answer). You have not described the wounds in a manner that gives enough information to offer advice...but, frankly, you're already planning on what most of us would tell you: keep it clean & seek veterinary care.

Pasodama
04-22-2015, 11:41 AM
You have not described the wounds in a manner that gives enough information to offer advice...but, frankly, you're already planning on what most of us would tell you: keep it clean & seek veterinary care.

:iagree:

If there is any further advice, that is possible to give, a photo (or good description), of the wounds (&/or any other issues), is needed.

bcr229
04-22-2015, 11:50 AM
For wounds on snakes I prefer Vetericyn over Neosporin as it's a water-based gel so it won't harm the scales. It's also not goopy so stuff doesn't stick to it, and it stays put once its dry.

You probably won't get it delivered before you can get this critter to the vet on Friday, but http://www.mountainside-medical.com/ will sell silver sulfadiazine (silvadene) without a prescription, which is a topical antibiotic also preferred over Neosporin. If you're going to be in the habit of taking in herps in need it's good to keep it on hand.

EMcGuckin86
04-23-2015, 04:02 AM
I'm going to try and get a pic up (I'm on my ph). Just had him officially surrendered this morning. They're basically the scales mossing (not too deep /gouges), there a 3 dif sized ones perfectly aligned going down his side. I soaked him today, talked to a vet/made appt. Gave this guy a warm soak in a water/betadine mixture, then put triple antibiotic on the wounds. It has been a few years aince I've had a sbake come in like this so I'm just wanting to make sure what I was told to do then is still ok (i know sometimes ppl find out it actually isn't good to do. This is what the vet said was ok)

EMcGuckin86
04-23-2015, 04:06 AM
Here is a close up

EMcGuckin86
04-23-2015, 04:06 AM
The paper towel was changed and is now dry (water bowl wasn't dumped before transport)

Droptine10
04-23-2015, 07:01 AM
That snake is lucky you found him !!!,
I wonder what did that to him , poor little guy.
I think he's in good hands now !!

bcr229
04-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Looks like a rat may have chewed on him, which is why you don't leave a live feeder unattended with a snake.

Fortunately those wounds are broad but not too deep, I've seen pictures of some with bones showing.

Neosporin is fine for a use or two, but you'll want to get a topical antibiotic in a water-based gel for long-term use, as the petroleum base in neo can cause the scales to slough off.

EMcGuckin86
04-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Thank you guys. I order aome veterycin last night (prob not bad to have on hand anyhow). Giving this poor guy another treatment today. It's breaking my heart.

EMcGuckin86
04-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Another question, I was told to try bactine? Anyone's opinions on this? I feel horrible putting the TAO on...its so thick it doesn't spread very easy :(

EMcGuckin86
04-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Also, there appears to be bubbles...almost like blister....even with the sores...possible burns?

bcr229
04-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Burns usually are on the belly from an unregulated UTH. Could be infection setting in.

EMcGuckin86
04-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Scale rot :( I've oy ever seen the beginnings of it