PDA

View Full Version : NEED AN ALBINO EXPERT

Steves Serpents
05-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Hey everyone, need a little help\advice. Does anybody know any tips for distinguishing between a Black Pastel Albino and a normal Albino hatchling fresh out of the egg? I attached a few pics of the entire clutch. In the third they are in water. Sorry, they are not great pics and they were taken with flash. All I have right now. I already handled them more than I wanted to so im gunna wait to take individual pics so I don't stress them anymore. Anyone see any that scream Black Pastel? This is my first clutch of Albinos and most of them look very similar to me.

Dbz4246
05-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Thats actually a hard question to answer, but I THINK I see some that are Black pastel and others would be normal albinos. But I would recommend letting them shed and then take pics with 2 or 3 snakes in each pic to see what they look like.

Steves Serpents
05-20-2015, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the response Jessie. Sent you a pm

Robert Walker
05-21-2015, 11:58 AM
But I would recommend letting them shed and then take pics with 2 or 3 snakes in each pic to see what they look like.

Agreed. I could go cross eyed starring at them right now and still not have a clue. With albinos it usually takes me about a month+ for the initial "pink" to go away and really start to see real colors. Good luck:thumbsup:

Steves Serpents
05-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the response Robert. Guess im just going to have to wait until they shed out. I was just too excited because these are the first albinos I ever hatched. They are all big healthy 80+ gram babies so I guess that's all that matters right now. I'll know soon enough.

ClarkT
05-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Pattern and white (less yellow) heads is what I'd look for.
Awesome clutch, btw. What was your pairing? Black pastel albino X albino?

Steves Serpents
05-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks Clark. Yup pairing was Black Pastel Albino x Albino. Had an Enchi het Albino in the mix as well but the Black Pastel got the job done.

ClarkT
05-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Pics of the parents?

Is the head of the black pastel albino parent (I'm assuming sire) lighter? I'd also expect you'd see a higher contrast among the black pastel ablinos compared to the regular albinos.

Steves Serpents
05-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Yes the sire was a Black pastel albino. He is deep in shed at the moment. It is very easy to tell that he is Black Pastel. I am sure that once the babies shed it will be much easier to tell with them as well. I acquired the sire from Brian Sharp so I don't doubt the genetics. Im pretty sure I can pick out the Black Pastels I just don't want to say for 100% until they shed. They are very white already where the ones I believe to be normal Albinos have a pinkish color to them. Didn't really show up in the cell phone pics I posted.

Reptile Frenzy
05-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Will be able to tell better as they shed and grow.

Steves Serpents
05-29-2015, 11:44 PM
They all shed last night and 4 out of the 9 took their first meals tonite but I still cant tell them apart. They all look the same. Guess im going to have to wait for a couple more sheds.

Reptile Frenzy
05-29-2015, 11:53 PM
Im having the same problem with a bumblebee enchi poss yb i hatched. I believe it to be a bumblebee enchi but the belly looks yb to be. Will have to feed him and let him progress through some sheds.