PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Gene Woma Wobble?

Big Borg Reptiles
08-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Obviously when people think wobble they immediately go to spiders, but we hatched out a few hidden gene woma combos and I noticed one female has very noticeable wobble issues. To some extent this doesn't surprise me, as the super HGW is lethal, the spider HGW is lethal, and basically any other HGW/wobble snake is lethal.

Is this a fairly common thing with this morph? I guess I didn't expect it because the dad is 100% fine, all non-HGW siblings are 100% fine, and even the other HGW combo siblings are fine with no wobble at all. It just seems really random that one would come out with bad wobble and the rest be perfectly normal.

Thoughts? Input? Clearly I can't do anything about it, just wondering about other people's experiences or if this is a bigger issue with HGW than I was led to believe. She has issues eating too, if I give her an f/t she'll snatch it up and wrap it but then just leave it. So far she seems to take live with no problem though.

snowgyre
08-20-2015, 11:05 AM
I'm fairly certain the HGW wobble is well known. I've known about it for years, anyway. It always came up during discussions of the fatal homozygous and the fatal HGW x spider.

Big Borg Reptiles
08-20-2015, 11:11 AM
I've heard about it but I didn't think it was as pronounced as the spider wobble. This girl is pretty bad though, definitely on par with the spider babies we've had. Just seemed weird that only 1/5 snakes would have an issue.

The only female HGW baby we got and of course she's the one with the problem :P

SPJ
08-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Unfortunately they can be as bad and even worse than spiders with the wobble.
Powerballs can also have a bad wobble.

Big Borg Reptiles
08-20-2015, 05:59 PM
I only have one other snake that will take an f/t rat and wrap it 5 times in a row but never eat it, and it's an extremely neurotic axanthic spider. It just doesn't even make sense, once they wrap you'd think instinct would kick in. At least I've ruled out my theory that spiders with no wobble will create babies with no wobble.

I didn't know there was an issue with powerballs, is it just from inbreeding maybe?

Dbz4246
08-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Powerballs can also have a bad wobble.

I didn't know Powerballs had an issue with wobbling? Maybe it's because they aren't as wide spread as Spiders or HGWs.

Pasodama
08-20-2015, 09:48 PM
As with most, I am aware of wobble in Spiders.
However, have also heard of wobble in HGW, Woma, Powerball, Champagne, and Super Sable.
I will soon be breeding my Spotnose female, to my Spotnose male, and do pray that any PB offspring will not have wobble.

Big Borg Reptiles
08-20-2015, 09:59 PM
I can tell with our big champagne girl that she's a little...off. Not sure how else to put it. Don't really have a desire to work with womas or sables so I'm good there. We're going to be working on powerballs next year as well, I wasn't even aware it was an issue so I'm glad to know ahead of time.

I really didn't know how bad the HGW wobble could be, I'd probably sell our breeder if the combos didn't look so nice. Same thing with spiders, the combos you can make are so amazing that it's hard to remove them from your breeding plans.

Pasodama
08-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Don't know if you have thought about pairing your HGW, with your Champagne, but, if I were you, I wouldn't do it.
It is my understanding that HGW x Champagne can have very severe wobble.

Big Borg Reptiles
08-20-2015, 11:24 PM
No Deb, no intention at all. I was under the impression it's a lethal combo but I wouldn't risk it anyway. Two snakes with wobble issues paired together can't logically end well.

Pasodama
08-21-2015, 04:59 AM
No Deb, no intention at all. I was under the impression it's a lethal combo but I wouldn't risk it anyway. Two snakes with wobble issues paired together can't logically end well.

Good assessment/logic.:)
Some of those pairings being worse than others.
Wobble existing in those morphs, that I mentioned, but its being rather severe when it is HGW x Champagne. Also rather severe when Sable x Spider (which can also have hatch problems).
Homozygous HGW is usually lethal.
Homozygous Champagne, and Spider x Champagne, is lethal.
There is, or has been, speculation that homozygous Spider is lethal BUT, strangely, there exists no evidence that a homozygous Spider can even be created. As though something blocks the existence of two Spider genes in a single individual.:shrug01: That being the case, nobody can say that it is 100% factual that a homozygous Spider is lethal (since none have been created ;) ).