PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on 'Gold Dust' Piebald

phoenix-cry
09-25-2015, 04:16 PM
I just got one of the original 'gold dust' pieds that was originally produced by Dan Wolfe from a pair of double het albino pieds. He ended up with two of these guys with oddly broken up speckled patterns.

I know that this boy produced a similarly speckled female pied for Mike Russo this year, and I was told he produced some speckled pieds in previous years.

If you own any of his offspring, or any of the offspring from his sibling (who I believe was female) I would love to hear from you and if you have pics that would be great.

Also this boy is ph for albino and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to prove out his albino side.

He's seven years old so I assume he's had a few owners. Being such a unique pattern I thought it might be easier to find info out on him and his blood line.

I will be breeding him to a black pastel pied to see what happens.

http://img01.deviantart.net/d8bb/i/2015/268/2/5/dream_snake_by_phoenix_cry-d9au3yw.jpg

antthrax
09-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Just wanted to stay how beautiful he looks. I think 'gold leaf' would've been a better name lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

phoenix-cry
09-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Thank you! I'm stupid proud to own this snake. Although someone pointed out an obvious name that I like too. Pixel Pied. ;)

antthrax
09-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Haha pixel pied for the win

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

phoenix-cry
09-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Yeah. It really is the best name. I'm going to have to ask them if I can 'steal' that. ;)

chkadii
11-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Yeah. It really is the best name. I'm going to have to ask them if I can 'steal' that. ;)
Hey, sorry to dig up an older thread. I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not the girl I just picked up could be the same gene, and I was wondering if you have any more back story on the gold dust/pixel pied?

Here she is:
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/28/b19ff0e68ad3cf9139d366951a5c9a53.jpg

phoenix-cry
11-28-2015, 03:26 PM
That very much looks like it could be the same gene or one like it in action? Where did you get her?

All I learned is that my male was used to produce a few het for pied that held their color very nicely as they aged and had a bit of a reduced pattern (never heard back from the person who had one to see if she ever bred her), and that he was also used to produce several pied that held the same broken pattern as him when Mike Russo bred him. The female that was part of the original pieds produced is lost to the internet. Also my guy is 66% het for albino since it was a double het parents who produced him.

chkadii
11-28-2015, 04:14 PM
I got her at the last Oaks, PA expo. She was actually bred by the cousin of the vendor who sold her. I'm out of state, but I'll reach out to them tomorrow to see if they had pied stock from either Russo or Wolfe. She's just a hatchling, but I'd love to keep in touch with you to see if the trait is genetic. I'd be interested in pairing her with offspring from your line to see what comes of it.

phoenix-cry
11-28-2015, 04:24 PM
That sounds great! I've been breeding my boy to a black pastel pied female so I'm hoping for a good clutch! If I can get a black pastel pied with the digital look that would rock!

phoenix-cry
01-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Update on the project!

http://img00.deviantart.net/7441/i/2016/007/d/5/snake_lurv_by_phoenix_cry-d9n2gms.jpg

Fedwa001
01-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Wow those are some beautiful looking pieds. Really love the digital looking ones. Maybe one day Ill be able to afford one ha ha.

Deuce
01-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Wow, that's super cool. It must be a different "line" of piebald, kind of like a sugar to a calico or a butter to a lesser. Or maybe it has a gene hidden in there that's totally different? Either way, awesome snakes!

phoenix-cry
01-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah, no one is really sure what is going on with the pixelated pied boy (other than the fact that he has had babies that look like him). I hope to get a pixel black pastel pied!

phoenix-cry
01-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Just some more pics of my boy. He has been breeding like a champ!

http://orig11.deviantart.net/e7ee/f/2016/028/d/3/pixel_pied_2_by_phoenix_cry-d9pmm0g.jpg

http://orig04.deviantart.net/d4c7/f/2016/028/d/2/pixel_pied_by_phoenix_cry-d9pmlxr.jpg

Pasodama
01-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Beautiful! Really like the looks of this type of (pied) pattern.
Good luck with the breeding, etc.!

phoenix-cry
01-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks! I'm excited to see this clutch!

Deuce
01-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Oh man, super cool! Let us know the results. And uh, if you decide to sell any, you should definitely pm me. :cool:

phoenix-cry
01-31-2016, 06:27 PM
I will keep you in the loop!

SPJ
02-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Isn't gold dusty a name of a line of mojave?
That would make a gold dust pied, a mojave pied but from the gold dust line.

SPJ
02-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Nevermind. Gold blush is what I was thinking of. Too many similar names.

phoenix-cry
02-01-2016, 12:26 PM
One of the reasons I am calling it 'pixel pied' is there is a gold dust which I think is mahogany mixed with something. This guy doesn't have a known secondary gene in him. I just suspect he has something 'new'. :). But I use air quotes on both since I have no prof yet that he isn't just a cool looking normal pied.

chkadii
02-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Nevermind. Gold blush is what I was thinking of. Too many similar names.
If I remember correctly, weren't mojave pieds called gold/en nuggets as well? In addition, now on WOBP "Gold Dust" is the combo name of suma spiders. BHB has no respect for the little guys' dinker projects, tsk tsk tsk... (jk). And that's not to be confused with the "Gold Dust Spider," which is allegedly a spider super black opal (which I have never heard of or seen).

While I'm normally against changing gene/line names (if only for maintaining provenance), calling these guys pixel pieds makes much more sense in my opinion - the name is unused, to my knowledge, and it actually describes what the animals look like. Plus OP has maintained provenance to the best of her ability, and the original (known) breeders have left the hobby, so they have no stake in the matter from a marketing standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ClarkT
02-03-2016, 07:01 PM
I LOVE the Pixel Pied name!
Sweet looking snake for sure.

That clutch will be full of awesome babies, for sure!

phoenix-cry
02-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks all! I'm very excited!