PDA

View Full Version : Dry and red tail, scale rot?

Jeremcy
12-13-2015, 01:49 PM
While cleaning my BPs tub the other day i noticed his tail is very dry and red. I try to keep his temps and humidity ideal but it has been very dry in our area as of latley and his sheds have suffered. I am wondering if this is just stuck shed that is creating circulation issues or if its something more infectious. http://imgur.com/AbWoyNu I just went to pick up bedatine and non pain relief neosporin to see if i can see some improvement over the next week. The only vet in my area is very expensive and not rated too well. Any advice or suggestions id aprpeciate.

hhmoore
12-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Your imgur link is not working at this time (I'm surprised I even looked, I don't make a habit of following links - use IMG options to post the image rather than the link). You could, alternatively, post the image(s) in your gallery here & post the img code, or simply attach the file(s).

Jeremcy
12-13-2015, 03:02 PM
While cleaning my BPs tub the other day i noticed his tail is very dry and red. I try to keep his temps and humidity ideal but it has been very dry in our area as of latley and his sheds have suffered. I am wondering if this is just stuck shed that is creating circulation issues or if its something more infectious. http://imgur.com/AbWoyNu I just went to pick up bedatine and non pain relief neosporin to see if i can see some improvement over the next week. The only vet in my area is very expensive and not rated too well. Any advice or suggestions id aprpeciate.

Sorry about that, i wasnt aware i could just upload directly to here, does this work?

Dbz4246
12-14-2015, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure, but it looks like a rodent got to the tail. It looks like chunks are missing

ElexisC
12-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Sorry about that, i wasnt aware i could just upload directly to here, does this work?
You said the sheds have suffered, did you pull the shed off? Could be damaged scales? I personally would keep that area clean and use nolvasan not ointment. Last time I tried ointment on some sores baytril injections caused it screwed up my retics scales badly, the shiny coating was coming off. Took a shed or 2 to correct that issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bcr229
12-15-2015, 02:10 PM
It looks like the tail didn't shed out cleanly a while ago but then all of it may have been removed this time. If the tail doesn't shed completely then the old skin will dry out and cut off circulation to the tail. Eventually the lack of blood flow causes the tail to become infected and/or necrotic, which can kill the snake.

Is the tail clean now? That looks like it started to get infected.

AbsoluteApril
12-15-2015, 04:13 PM
I agree with the others, looks like old shed was stuck on there and then pulled off after a few layers had built up. A soak in a very diluted betadine mixture might help (where it looks like very weak tea) but it looks already like it might be infected. If it's infected, it could lead to septicemia and eventual death (speaking from experience sadly). I'd get it to the vet to be checked out to be safe. Good luck.