PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here I have a few questions

Fedwa001
12-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Hi all new to snakes the recently got to hatchlings. We're not exactly sure how old they are but it look like they had just got done with their first shed. We waited about a week to feed them. Which we offered several times during the day with no luck. Then my daughter read that we should try to feed them at night. And that we could leave pinky mice in the tank unattended overnight. Two nights ago we left to pinky mice in a container that they could not escape inside the habitat. When we woke up The pinky mice were gone. So we assume they both ate one. I weighed them when we first got them one weighed 69 grams and one weighed 80 grams. I weigh them today one weighed 86 g and one weighed 64 g. So in my mind I'm thinking that one snake ate both mice does this sound correct? I didn't think they would eat again. Any help would be appreciated with feeding baby ball Python's.

bcr229
12-28-2015, 04:41 PM
It sounds like you are housing both snakes in the same enclosure. That has to stop. Today. They each need their own setups. These snakes are not social and cannibalism is a possibility, especially if you are feeding them in the same enclosure.

What exactly is the temperature in the enclosure of the warm and cool side, measuring those with an IR thermometer or heat gun versus the analog stick-on types? What are you using for heat sources and how are they regulated (thermostat, rheostat, etc)? What is the humidity in the enclosure?

It sounds like you bought a fish tank to house a ball python. While you can make it work, it's a lot of work to set up correctly. You're better off getting a correct reptile enclosure or rack/tub setup for them.

bcr229
12-28-2015, 04:44 PM
I would also read these:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127203-Ball-Python-(Python-regius)-Caresheet

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127478-A-WARNING-that-should-apply-to-ALL-caresheets!

Fedwa001
12-28-2015, 04:47 PM
So I can't house two snakes from the same clutch in the same enclosure? We have a reptile tank 40 gallons screen top. Heat on hot side is 90 d and heat on cold side is 80. Measures with a analogue probe thermometer. Heated from above with a dual lamp one ceramic heat emitter 140 watt and a basking lamp. 3 separate hides hot middle cold and water

Dbz4246
12-28-2015, 05:42 PM
So I can't house two snakes from the same clutch in the same enclosure? We have a reptile tank 40 gallons screen top. Heat on hot side is 90 d and heat on cold side is 80. Measures with a analogue probe thermometer. Heated from above with a dual lamp one ceramic heat emitter 140 watt and a basking lamp. 3 separate hides hot middle cold and water

Of course you CAN house them in the same enclosure. But should you? No, for multiple reasons. As Melinda stated, the snakes could potentially harm each other, and they will compete for the perfect temp spots. If one is sick, you will have a hard time telling which is sick if there are multiple snakes in one enclosure. They are not social animals reguardless of what the pet store says.
Temps sound ok, and plenty of hides is a plus, but your overall enclosure is huge for what sound like a couple of month old snakes. The overall size of the tank could be a reason they are not eating.

Fedwa001
12-28-2015, 05:50 PM
This is all great advice. Please bear with me as I am new to all this and now realizing that the pet store sold me what I didn't need. I can't run out right away and buy a rack or separate enclosures but I will soon. One is eating and the other is not. So should I move the one that is it not into something else. I really would hate to lose one or both of them. Anyone have any quick fixes until I can get something more suitable on payday

bcr229
12-28-2015, 07:39 PM
This is all great advice. Please bear with me as I am new to all this and now realizing that the pet store sold me what I didn't need.
Pet stores are good for that. Their goal is to maximize profits, not sell you the ideal setup for your critters.

So, here's your inexpensive short term housing for two very young ball pythons:

If you have a Target, WalMart, Lowes, or Home Depot nearby look for a style of clear plastic tub called a Sterilite "Latchbox". It has handles that flip up to hold the top on securely. You want one that has a lot of floor space but is fairly shallow. As long as you clutter it up with stuff to give your snakes lots of hiding places - even crumpled paper works - you can get one that's decent sized so your snakes won't outgrow it for a while. They cost $5-10 each.

If you do happen to get a fairly large one you will have to put something heavy on top, like books, to prevent your snake from pushing up the long side edge and taking an unauthorized slither around the house.

You will need two under-tank heaters (heat pads), one for each tub.

You will need one thermostat, you can regulate both heat pads with it as long as they are identical.

Each heat pad will go under a tub, and the thermostat probe should be placed between one of the heat pads and the tub. Plug both heat pads into the thermostat and then plug the thermostat into a wall outlet.

You will need an infrared thermometer or heat gun so you can measure the temperature of the plastic tub over the heat pad. The goal is to set the thermostat temperature so that the bottom of the tub is about 90*F to give your snake a basking spot.

You can use newspaper for substrate (ask neighbors to save theirs or sometimes you can get it free from grocery stores), though if you've already bought aspen that will work also.

You will need an undumpable water bowl. Dollar Tree/Dollar General has dishwasher-safe melamine cat bowls that work great for baby snakes. They are - $1 - and since they are wider at the top than the bottom snakes don't tip them over. Get several so when your snake invariably uses one as a toilet, you can replace it with a clean one immediately.

Finally, hides can be made from anything small and plastic; avoid the wooden half-log ones as they mold quickly in a high humidity environment and when your snake poops on it, it's almost impossible to clean and disinfect. If you like Ramen - or even if you just need cheap lunches - there's a type of noodle meal that comes in a black plastic container; it costs about $1. After you eat the food you can run the container through the dishwasher and then cut an opening in the side for your snake. The containers that Hormel Complete meals come in are another option, but they are smaller and the food is more expensive.

Dbz4246
12-28-2015, 07:40 PM
This is all great advice. Please bear with me as I am new to all this and now realizing that the pet store sold me what I didn't need. I can't run out right away and buy a rack or separate enclosures but I will soon. One is eating and the other is not. So should I move the one that is it not into something else. I really would hate to lose one or both of them. Anyone have any quick fixes until I can get something more suitable on payday

Quick fix, but shouldn't be taken as permanent: get a 6qt tub with lid, put a small paper towel down as substrate. Small water bowl, and a small hide if you have one. Put the tub on small legs (like small pieces of wood) and a smalL heat pad under half the tub. Don't let it touch the tub, should be at least 1/4 inch gap. Secure the lid with clips or put something heavy ish on top so the snake can't get out. This should work on a temporary basis until you can get what you need.

Fedwa001
12-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys and gals. I probably should have done more research prior to going to a pet store. Ill get something together for them today.

Big Borg Reptiles
12-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Always best to buy directly from a breeder, they're usually more knowledgeable about the reptile you're buying and cheaper as well. Just make sure to check them out first so you don't buy from a turd. Something to keep in mind when you inevitably buy another one :P

Fedwa001
12-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Always best to buy directly from a breeder, they're usually more knowledgeable about the reptile you're buying and cheaper as well. Just make sure to check them out first so you don't buy from a turd. Something to keep in mind when you inevitably buy another one :P

Thanks Nick

bcr229
12-29-2015, 01:32 PM
What Nick said. If you find a good local breeder he or she can often help you put together a safe, basic, and inexpensive setup as well. I've helped out a few local newbies this way, and the money they save often comes to me in future snakes sales.

AbsoluteApril
12-29-2015, 03:46 PM
So in my mind I'm thinking that one snake ate both mice does this sound correct? I didn't think they would eat again.

Yes, it's very possible and sounds like what happened (that one baby ate both mice).
You've been given some very good advice, I wish you the best of luck with your new snakies!