PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Black Backs: Your Thoughts

Deuce
12-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, I've seen some incredible pictures of genetic black backs -- beautiful snakes in my opinion. But when I've gone to World of Ball Pythons to check out anything people have done with them, it's pretty much ALWAYS broken up the back. And even in pictures of the base morph itself there are some pictures with clear striping just like a normal.

I'm beginning to form the opinion that someone once HOPED this was something genetic, and then later after putting it through a few combos (there are ~11 of them on WoB) quit because they realized it wasn't genetic. Thoughts?

EDIT: I no longer think it might not be its own. I believe it can be genetic, but I also believe some people THINK theirs are and they aren't. Either way, still open to opinions.

Dbz4246
12-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Here is my personal view on it, so take it however you like. Genetic black backs exist, along with genetic banded, and even genetic reduced. But, to me, they are just different variations of normal ball pythons. Of course there are some morphs that are naturally black backed, and some morphs that could go either way. Even breeding a morph with what you believe to be a beautiful example of a black back, will not guarantee that the offspring will look just as good (comes from experience). As for people hoping something is genetic, just think about it this way, ALL genes were normal till proven otherwise, and there are so many genes that look normal at first glance, but someone saw something else (or got lucky) and was able to reproduce the look.

Deuce
12-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I hear ya. Thanks for the reply! I don't mind that they look normal, I just really like the thick black dorsal stripe. I wish it would do that in more combos but it doesn't appear to; guess that's why there aren't a whole lot of them.

Dbz4246
12-30-2015, 12:44 AM
I just really like the thick black dorsal stripe. I wish it would do that in more combos but it doesn't appear to; guess that's why there aren't a whole lot of them.

This is the reason I got into breeding ball pythons, I love black backs. And yes I agree that there aren't a lot of combos that go together that make a great outcome, but that's the fun in trying to produce that work of art that got you into the game in the first place right?
With every breeding season comes a new opportunity to create something that may be able to help me achieve my own personal goals, when it comes to breeding. My entire collection is centered around eventually producing that black back that I want to achieve, at least with each group of snakes I have.

Deuce
12-30-2015, 11:54 AM
That's awesome. I don't have an "ultimate goal" like that. There are a few combos I'm interested in producing, two of which involves the Black Back. I'll be looking to purchase one probably this upcoming breeding season. Even if it never "pans out" as far as offspring I don't really care, because who wouldn't want such a cool snake even as just a pet?

Vilenica
01-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Their all genetic, and every outcross could have varying results, as well some genes that are submissive to another are dominant to the next no matter their mode of inheritance.

- Jason Vilenica
Wicked Fairy Magic

Deuce
01-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Of course. And a lot of loci are also polyallelic, so you never know. Saw your black back on the other thread too - very pretty.