PDA

View Full Version : urinating question....

EMcGuckin86
01-13-2016, 03:33 AM
I got a new snake I took in as a rescue and have him/her in a quarantine tank. He was fine rhe first few week I had him, but the last couple days I noticed he's been lifting his tail and peeing at least 2 or 3 times a day, occasionally there is a urate, but mostly it's just liquid. What could be causing this? Working on getting him into the vet, but it's going to be a few days.

Here's what I can tell you so far...
History: previous owner bought from Repticon last year (May) and said it was a picky eater, won't eat frozen thawed and would reduse meals. After owner was in an accident, was unable to get to pet shop to feed live so was only eating every 3 wks or so. Not sure exact weight, going to buy a scale, but backbone is clearly visible.

Since I've had him, I got his teml and humidity set, he's taken 2 meals no prob...working on 3rd tomorrow, has been drinking and given soaks as well.

Any ideas?

ElexisC
01-13-2016, 04:22 AM
Are the rates white? Could be an increase of water intake, if he was barely feeding it how often was it given water?

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk

EMcGuckin86
01-13-2016, 04:29 AM
I never thought of that....when the urates come out, they're white. Have a pic of one, will try to upload from my ph

EMcGuckin86
01-13-2016, 04:32 AM
Here is a pic

EMcGuckin86
01-13-2016, 04:34 AM
The urate after that one was more of a reg urate, not so lose, but the liquid is a normal amount he's been leaving

bcr229
01-13-2016, 11:49 AM
He may have been a bit dehydrated when you got him, and with the increased drinking and soaks he has more water flowing through his system. More liquid input = more liquid output.

He may just also naturally "go" frequently, my retics do it 2-3 times a day also... but they also eat f/t wet rabbits so they pee a a lot.

Big Borg Reptiles
01-13-2016, 12:17 PM
I think Elexis and Melinda hit it on the head, sounds like the snake was probably not getting fed or watered on a regular basis and is compensating now. A lot of pee is probably a good sign TBH, that means he's getting plenty of fluids now.

Also, it's not incredibly surprising that it wasn't taking f/t, I only have two snakes in my entire collection that won't take frozen and they both have the spider gene in them (which is what that guy is if you didn't know).

EMcGuckin86
01-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys! I was racking my brain and that never crossed my mind. Completely makes sense though. He did refuse to eat yesterday so trying again on Saturday. Going to the store to try and get a scale. He's the only one that refuses f/t for me, everyone else eats either or. Glad to know it's not uncommon for this morph. One person said it was a yellow belly spider...another told me there's no such thing. Never been good with morphs lol

EMcGuckin86
01-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Did nust notice this though after a soak...wtf...

Big Borg Reptiles
01-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Can you take a pic of the whole tail/vent area? Looks like it might be swollen.

And there definitely is such a thing as a spider yellow belly :P

ElexisC
01-15-2016, 06:22 AM
I never have issues with any taking f/t. But my large female ball will sometimes urinate a couple times a day or once a day after a meal. My retic when I had him, I was changing his bedding several times a day for a few days after eating his rabbits.

EMcGuckin86
01-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your help...we never made our vet appointment this afternoon, I came home to check on everyone and he had passed :'( going to try and see if anyone local can to a necropsy

Deuce
01-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry... that's really heartbreaking. I know what it's like to do everything in your power for something you care about. My heart truly goes out to you. Hope to hear an update when the necropsy comes back.

nickolasanastasiou
01-16-2016, 03:32 PM
Sorry to read of the unfortunate result. The vent tissue looked awfully eroded to me.

arex83
01-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Sorry your rescue didn't make it...is it easy to request a necropsy done and do their results usually give you any useful information about what actually went wrong?

ElexisC
01-17-2016, 12:50 PM
If you're doing a necropsy make sure you refrigerate not freeze.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk