PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pied morph

Jpierdominici
01-26-2016, 07:47 PM
We took in these two pieds several months back. They were a neglect case and couldn't get any info on their background. We took them to a Repticon event and asked several vendors but got answers ranging from pastel pieds to orange ghost pieds. I know it will be hard to pin down an exact but wanted to get the opinions of the fauna members. Thanks in advance.

Big Borg Reptiles
01-26-2016, 08:09 PM
First one looks like a leopard pied, second one I would believe is pastel pied based on the pattern. I don't know who told you ghost pied, I don't see ghost at all.

Jpierdominici
01-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks, Nick. I don't remember which vendor said what. Some had multiple people working and all would say something different. LoL.

Big Borg Reptiles
01-26-2016, 10:17 PM
People usually see what they want to see, especially if they're working with those morphs. It's always tricky with no background on the snakes but those are my guesses. The patterns and colors match what you'd expect in each case and the pictures I googled matched my hunch pretty accurately. I've seen way brighter pastel pieds but the pattern matches, can't think of another combo that causes that stripe.

SPJ
01-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Both are single gene pieds. Nice ones, but single genes. Pieds vary a lot.
This is an example of a nice single gene pied.

AbsoluteApril
01-27-2016, 12:10 PM
I'd asked on another forum how to tell between pied and pastel pied and the consensus seemed to say the most obvious marker for pastel pied is the green eyes (pastels have green eyes).
The look like very nice normal pieds to my untrained eye, I can see how the one on the right could pass for a pastel pied due to the lighter body color but generally looks like normal variation to me.

snowgyre
01-27-2016, 01:12 PM
I think they're both normal pieds as well. The first is a medium to low white individual, the second is a high colored individual. If these were an orange ghost pieds, the black wouldn't be a solid black. If these were pastel pieds, the head would be lighter.

Big Borg Reptiles
01-27-2016, 02:58 PM
I was looking last night and forgot to repost but I agree, the one with the stripe might just be a normal pied. You guys don't see leopard in the first one though? I don't work with leopard but that was my first thought when I saw it.

snowgyre
01-27-2016, 03:34 PM
It's honestly hard to tell, Nick. I'm not sure if there is a definitive way to separate low expression leopard pieds from nice normal pieds? Maybe Steve or someone else who works heavily with pieds could chime in what they think.

Jpierdominici
01-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the info.

Deuce
01-27-2016, 07:45 PM
I was thinking leopard on the left and normal on the right too. Leopard was discovered through the piebald morph after all; there was a time they thought the two were linked genes.