PDA

View Full Version : Force-Feeding Issue

Beyond the Web
12-19-2004, 03:16 AM
I am still trying to find my way through this forum, I hope this is the correct forum for my issue in question.

I have a WC '04 C. cerastes (spelling?), I don't have a scale however, it was a healthy one at decent weight just by observation. Over the past 4 weeks it has refused all feeders, I am under the assumption it prefers lizards (no surprise there as it is WC), and just today, I noticed its health diminishing. He seems to be getting underweight, it will only strike but won't eat.

I decided to get him something smaller, like newborn pinkies, well, it was ignored. I had to do what was best for the animal, and proceeded to attempt force feeding. I attempted 3 times, it rejected it 3x! I've done this task before, and it always worked out for me. Seems like I may have to get a pinky pump instead, but, I really don't want to liquify the pinkie myself. Is there any company available out there that produces liquified rodents (or other feeding substances) to use in a syringe-like device for force-feeding?

Canyon State
12-19-2004, 04:50 AM
i dont know of any companies out there that provide already pressed foods but have you made sure that the habitat is sufice, like heating, cooling, hide boxes all of the norm and whats the common name on your snake? i might be more help but im really bad with latins.

DAND
12-19-2004, 06:49 AM
i dont know of any companies out there that provide already pressed foods but have you made sure that the habitat is sufice, like heating, cooling, hide boxes all of the norm and whats the common name on your snake? i might be more help but im really bad with latins.

Sidewinder if I'm not mistaken.

I'd try either lizard scented or try a lizard. Like you had said they are prone to eating lizards in the wild.

Canyon State
12-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Another thing you can try that has never once failded me is take a larger fuzzy and dip it in tuna juice and wave it in his face until he takes. ive done this with all speices of snakes. and its worked every time. but if that doesnt work try catching a 4 lined whiptailed lizard thats what he would eat in the wild.

Beyond the Web
12-19-2004, 11:14 AM
You're correct, it is a Desert Sidewinder. Now, I am not even sure he ate in the wild, as it seems to me it was just born at the time of capture so it may not have fed at all out there yet. Would anoles work out?

Canyon State
12-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Now his habitat is good and everything right good place to hide proper heating and cooling and humidity(which should be low but still some)? another question is how long ago was he brought into captivity. if he is a new born this season then most likly you wont get him to eat until it warms up he should naturaly be going through brumation right now. so he wont eat but every so often let him brumate and give him shorter days and longer nights. and every so often you will see him come out to get water and wonder around abit at that time you should drop some food in there? you have to consider his natural settings especially if he is a fresh cuaght. and also a common misconception is that desert rattlesnakes need high heat they dont not at all i would during brumation peroids use only a 40 to 50 watt basking light and far away from his hiding spot and the water in between hiding and basking he will be ready to eat when he wants to how long is his rattle?

Beyond the Web
12-19-2004, 11:43 AM
I have a few others brumating w/o problems, I thought of just keeping this one warm along with a few other c.b. babies. He was caught early November in the Mojave Desert, and he only has 1 button on his rattle. I guess I'll have to cool him down and slowly start his brumation period.

Canyon State
12-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Ya most likly he just got really stressed out form the whole deal and it has set him all off balance you know what i mean, i would just cool him and give it some time he will eat. im going through the same thing witha fresh cuaght baby western diamond back right now, he wants nothing to do with food at this time. but hey if yopur interested in rattlesnakes ive got one for sale thats pretty bad ass. its a hybrid 40% eastern diamondback 40% western diamond back and 20% south american rattlesnake hes really cool looking lot of yellow and very broad body and i also have a baby eastern diamond for sale as well. if your interested email me at canyonstatereptiles@juno.com.
hopfuly i have been some help with your side winder

CFoley
12-19-2004, 05:06 PM
probably

hhmoore
12-21-2004, 08:27 AM
You say you have noticed its health deteriorating. that is pretty nonspecific but, as a general rule, would make trying to put that snake into brumation contraindicated. a snake should be of good body weight and outwardly healthy before cooling. more details would help in guiding you. also, while there are (to my knowledge) no pre-pressed pinkies...there are always NutriCal or similar nutrient pastes.
HHMoore

BrianCarner
12-23-2004, 09:10 AM
im not too familier with that sppecies of snake but what you could try and this has worked well in the past for me with my majave greens is to put black construction paper on the sides of his enlosure and just dont bother him for a few days and make sure he is on natural bedding like calcisand or any dry sand NOT playsand its way too moist and will not help in the well being of the animal and another question, is he drinking? if so try a thing called Reptisafe just add a tiny bit in his watering dish it will give him some needed calcium for the time beingits ablue liquid in a clear bottle
Hope something works
Brian

cottonmouth
12-24-2004, 07:46 AM
It Probably Won't Start Eating Again Until Feb Or March. It's Their Natural Shut Dowm Time.

BrianCarner
12-24-2004, 04:21 PM
itsa a desert dwelling animal there is no "shut down time". plus there is no natural weather in the tank so its natural instincs would compltely shut down

reptilebreeder
12-24-2004, 04:30 PM
itsa a desert dwelling animal there is no "shut down time". plus there is no natural weather in the tank so its natural instincs would compltely shut down

yeah um, not all deserts are 80 degrees year round day and night. A lot of the range Of Crotalus cerastes here in CA gets cold enough for brumation, sometimes even snows. As far as instincts, you think a hatchling/newborn or even an old snakes instincts that have been developed over centuries is going to shut down because it's been in a cage for a couple weeks? just asking

Besides, if you check the BOI, the OP sent a WC Sidewinder to someone in AZ in trade (illegal) so he might not even have the little guy anymore, unless it was a different one.

Beyond the Web
12-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Besides, if you check the BOI, the OP sent a WC Sidewinder to someone in AZ in trade (illegal) so he might not even have the little guy anymore, unless it was a different one.

And what does the BOI post have anything to do with this particular question? I'm curious. In any way, it is irrelevent.

BrianCarner
12-24-2004, 08:52 PM
if there is no natural conditions like weather the snake wont react to whats not there ive taken my share of snakes out of the wild for rehabilitation or for pets animal from reptiles to mammals will not react to something thats not accuring just like if the summer or fall season goes for longer than usual snakes arent going to shut down if the weather hasnt changed. its common sence man. take 8 years of zoology you may learn something
Brian

DAND
12-24-2004, 09:11 PM
And what does the BOI post have anything to do with this particular question? I'm curious. In any way, it is irrelevent.

Why don't you want the BOI thread known here? Still haven't answered my question over there about how your camera was not working in one post and a few posts later you are posting pics. That and your claim of not selling venomous but the pics just mentioned you claimed they were being sent via Delta. Now since you have "business accounts" with other carriers it would lead one to believe you were sending venomous snakes after claiming that you don't.