PDA

View Full Version : 15.00 2004 Hypo Tangerine???

nicolai
04-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Look what i found on ebay. Not only are you not allowed to sell live animals on ebay but 15.00 for a nice leo sounds fishy to me but you never know. Take a look and tell me what you think. Should I email ebay??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1285&item=4374070682&rd=1

GeckoTracks
04-17-2005, 09:18 AM
It should honestly be reported

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/wildlife.html

Gecko_Den
04-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Reported..... :cool:

nicolai
04-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I guess some people never want to play by the rules. You should throw the person an email telling them they can sell it here on fauna for free instead of violating ebay rules and selling it there.

Gekkonida
04-17-2005, 10:46 AM
I am glad it is reported. Perhaps someone should email the user a link to reptibid.

GeckoTracks
04-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Perhaps someone should email the user a link to reptibid.

LOL already did that

USAGECKOS
04-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Someone else is selling a Black Throat Monitor on Ebay too:

Black Throat (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1285&item=4374304841&rd=1)

GeckoTracks
04-17-2005, 12:55 PM
WE have a Bearded Dragon on there as well, not to mention bidders on that one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1285&item=4374116671&rd=1

Intelligent people :slamit:

surfrkidts
04-17-2005, 02:00 PM
i thought for a sec that you meant 15 male geckos for sale... sorry i'm retarded. People don't realize how many mistakes they are making on ebay. It wouldn't happen if they just read the rules. The rules aren't even that long

USAGECKOS
04-17-2005, 03:07 PM
WE have a Bearded Dragon on there as well, not to mention bidders on that one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1285&item=4374116671&rd=1

Intelligent people :slamit:

Do you know that you are breaking the rules for Ebay?

GeckoTracks
04-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Um if you think they are my auctions your wrong, I mean I posted the rules for ebay I'm pretty sure that I know it's against the rules. PLUS on another note if you must know my ebay ID is GECKOTRACKS

Dont jump to conclusions, "WE" as a whole on fauna talking on this thread.

montezuma
04-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Um if you think they are my auctions your wrong, I mean I posted the rules for ebay I'm pretty sure that I know it's against the rules. PLUS on another note if you must know my ebay ID is GECKOTRACKS

In Jeanne's defense, the way you stated it originally it sounded as if YOU has it up for auction... I had to read it a couple times before I got what you meant....

montezuma
04-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Is it just me or is there something about this picture that looks a bit abnormal? Thank god the ad doesn't say anything about "Hybridized breeding occurred, may be gravid!"
http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/df/e1/11_1_b.JPG

leaftail
04-17-2005, 03:51 PM
It sounded like that to me too, Kimberley, but I knew that couldnt be right so I assumed it was just your wording. Dont be mad :)

GeckoTracks
04-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Just from my previous post you/she would have thought, that I didnt really mean myself.

leaftail
04-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Is it just me or is there something about this picture that looks a bit abnormal? Thank god the ad doesn't say anything about "Hybridized breeding occurred, may be gravid!" OMG Gene that is the ugliest baby I have ever seen!!!!!

GeckoTracks
04-17-2005, 03:54 PM
It sounded like that to me too, Kimberley, but I knew that couldnt be right so I assumed it was just your wording. Dont be mad :)

LOL Far from it, I just didn't think anyone would think I'd do something like that though. I've been known to word things funny , lots of people who read my posts (chat with me on messengers) know that

surfrkidts
04-17-2005, 04:04 PM
gene... no comment. it did make me chuckle

USAGECKOS
04-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Was it really necessary for you to be this rude. I took your post the wrong way, I don't know you or chat with you, my bad. Someone needs to settle down.

GeckoTracks
04-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Was it really necessary for you to be this rude. I took your post the wrong way, I don't know you or chat with you, my bad. Someone needs to settle down.

Wasn't being rude, just pointing out the obvious facts that get overlooked, thats why people jump to conclusions. lol I'm not all that upset either even said that I wasn't. Just because someone post something in Caps doesnt always mean someone is mad or upset, hard to tell on the net isn't it.

Gecko_Den
04-17-2005, 04:45 PM

When she said "We" I don't think she was actually saying "She" was the owner of the ad on ebay. I took it as meaning that "We" the viewers of this thread have another animal ad to look at, the bearded dragon ad. That's how I read it at least.... :)

Gecko_Den
04-17-2005, 04:49 PM
When she said "We" I don't think she was actually saying "She" was the owner of the ad on ebay. I took it as meaning that "We" the viewers of this thread have another animal ad to look at, the bearded dragon ad. That's how I read it at least.... :)

LOL, guess I should have hit refresh prior to submitting a reply. Maybe then I would have seen that this was addressed already...... :rolleyes:

mindcrash
04-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular question, but why is it anyone but eBay's job to police their website?

I can understand sending a note to the seller telling them of other options where they are allowed to sell their reptile, but why is it necessary, for the lack of a better word, to tattle?

Gecko_Den
04-17-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular question, but why is it anyone but eBay's job to police their website?

I can understand sending a note to the seller telling them of other options where they are allowed to sell their reptile, but why is it necessary, for the lack of a better word, to tattle?

If you are in your local 7-11 and someone is stuffing soda in their jacket, do you say anything to the clerk? Suppose a guy you work with is putting down hours on his timecard that he isn't working, do you tell your boss? You are a vendor at a reptile show and some guy is walking around selling lizards out of a backpack, despite the show rules stating only vendors can sell at the show, do you tell the shows organizer? All very different scenarios, some with more serious consequences, but all in violation of rules or law. How do YOU distinguish which ones are important enough to "tattle" about, or do you just say "It is wrong" in all circumstances and notify the right people? To answer your question; It may not be necessary to "tattle", but it is the right thing to do, I guess it boils down to what type of a person you are, or aren't....... :)

mindcrash
04-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I consider it one thing to alert the authorities when a law is being broken or management when a fellow employee is engaging in fraud. However, your example about being a vendor at reptile show doesn't hold water for me as obviously you have a personal stake to inform the organizers because that person's actions could have a direct effect on you. That being said, I don't feel it is necessary to inform eBay of an auction that breaks their rules unless it is something that is grossly unethical or harmful. In this case, it is neither. Most likely, it is someone who didn't completely understand the rules and eBay would have likely found it on their own accord.

So here's a question. If you see another driver speeding past you, with obvious disregard for the speed limit, do you call the police? They are breaking the law and acting recklessly and deserve to be punished. In all likelihood, the answer would be "no", even though speeding would probably be considered worse than trying to sell a leopard gecko on eBay. Why the discrepancy?

When reading this thread I came away with this whole "holier than thou" attitude.

Gecko_Den
04-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I consider it one thing to alert the authorities when a law is being broken or management when a fellow employee is engaging in fraud. However, your example about being a vendor at reptile show doesn't hold water for me as obviously you have a personal stake to inform the organizers because that person's actions could have a direct effect on you. That being said, I don't feel it is necessary to inform eBay of an auction that breaks their rules unless it is something that is grossly unethical or harmful. In this case, it is neither. Most likely, it is someone who didn't completely understand the rules and eBay would have likely found it on their own accord.

So here's a question. If you see another driver speeding past you, with obvious disregard for the speed limit, do you call the police? They are breaking the law and acting recklessly and deserve to be punished. In all likelihood, the answer would be "no", even though speeding would probably be considered worse than trying to sell a leopard gecko on eBay. Why the discrepancy?

When reading this thread I came away with this whole "holier than thou" attitude.

So, if I changed that last scenario and you were just at a reptile show, not a vendor, and were approached by the backpack guy and offered a reptile, would you then tell the organizer?

There is no right answer, it depends on the person. If you think it is O.K. that is your opinion, which you are entitled to, others may in their opinion think a disregard of the rules is wrong . You said you think this thread projects a "holier than thou" attitude, again your opinion, which you are entitled to have and express, but maybe the rest of the folks on this thread feel it was something worth reporting.

I'm of the opinion that you may be looking for an argument, and I'm not interested in having one, so I'll just agree to disagree with you and wish you a nice day. :)

Bringerofdoom
04-17-2005, 06:59 PM

When reading this thread I came away with this whole "holier than thou" attitude.Well let me put this question to you. Would you report a non-pay here using fauna to advertise? After all, its only a insult to those who paid for the right to advertise, to let someone else do what they had to pay for.

As for your question would someone report a speeder. i would not, i just let him keep it up, eventually he will get nabbed. BUT if this was a person swerving on the road acting drunk, your damn right i would call and report him.

mindcrash
04-17-2005, 07:03 PM
No, not looking for an argument, but I'm always up for a good debate ;) Please don't take me as a troll.

As far the reptile show, if I were approached by said individual, I would likely advise him to take it outside, and if he didn't, it is likely that I would alert the organizers because his actions are obviously harmful to others. I don't see how the eBay situation falls under that category.

mindcrash
04-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Well let me put this question to you. Would you report a non-pay here using fauna to advertise? After all, its only a insult to those who paid for the right to advertise, to let someone else do what they had to pay for.

As for your question would someone report a speeder. i would not, i just let him keep it up, eventually he will get nabbed. BUT if this was a person swerving on the road acting drunk, your damn right i would call and report him.

Let me address these two points.

First, if a non-paying member of fauna was using a thread to advertise his/her business, then of course I would report it because it has a negative impact to the people who pay to advertise on this site.

Secondly, it goes without saying that it is everyone's responsibility to report a drunk driver, as again, his/her actions could have a potentially devastating impact on others.

The gecko for sale on eBay is not in the same category as those two examples. If the auction was not canceled, and the gecko was successfully sold, not even eBay would be harmed, as they would receive the fees from this seller. The seller gets paid, eBay gets paid, and the buyer gets a gecko, where's the harm here?

Gekkonida
04-17-2005, 07:41 PM
I appreciate the debate comment. It will probably go a long way in keeping this a civilized thread rather than turning it into something else. Debate is a good thing! That being said, it is gross neglect on the part of the user to break terms of service. Although, it is often times over looked there is a reason ebay doesn't want to sell live animals. They are not covered legally by it. There are just too many moving parts for them to try and police ie. local and federal laws, wildlife regulations threatened animals etc.... They even go so far as to give links to animal and wildlife regulatory offices to point people in the right direction on their site. I believe they really have to have a no tolerance policy regardless of what type of animal someone is trying to sell. I am sure this helps cover their butt legally as well. So it is a big deal in that if it isn't policed the cost of doing business on ebay for everyone could increase. (law suits are exspensive even for ebay and software companies just love to pass that price on to its' end users. Aren't they nice!?) Obviously there are right and wrong ways to handle any situation and everyone has the right to their opinion as does ebay have the right to not allow animals to be sold using their intellectual property and software. Not that I am worked up or anything mostly I am just in an elevated aggitated state today for some reason. Must be all the yard work. hehehe :argue: Everyone needs to smile! :raspberry

mindcrash
04-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Not that I am worked up or anything mostly I am just in an elevated aggitated state today for some reason. Must be all the yard work. hehehe :argue: Everyone needs to smile! :raspberry

I like that! I think I'm suffering from the same thing, as I'm in the midst of writing a paper.

I'll concede somewhat to your point that the cost of business could increase if there were a rash of animals being sold on eBay, which would of course be passed on to the users. However, I don't think this is practical as there aren't many of these auctions, and when there is one, it will likely be shut down as soon as it is found. I think from the get-go eBay has positioned itself so that it's liability would have to be next-to-nothing.

On an aside, does anyone know what kind of lawsuits eBay has been hit with? I'm sure that in this culture of the "it's anyones fault but mine" mentality, I'd bet that there have been some pretty stupid ones.

nicolai
04-17-2005, 07:57 PM
I just wanted to see how you guys felt about someone selling a live leopard gecko on Ebay and somehow we ended up with a ethical and moral reveiw thread??

Can't we all just get along????

Gekkonida
04-17-2005, 08:47 PM
I'd bet that there have been some pretty stupid ones.

I have heard that there were a few real zingers. I have a friend that was a programmer for ebay and he said they were always fielding stupid law suits. I'll have to email him and see if he has any out the ordinary stories to share. hehehe

Cat_72
04-18-2005, 08:53 AM
I emailed the guy selling the monitor, and received a very polite reply from him, stating that he had no idea that you couldn't sell live animals on ebay, and he would pull the auction immediately, which it appears he did. :)

riverjop
04-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Quote;
(So, if I changed that last scenario and you were just at a reptile show, not a vendor, and were approached by the backpack guy and offered a reptile, would you then tell the organizer?)

So what if that same backpack guy approaches you with the most beautiful Hybino you have ever seen..........for 20 bucks? :dgrin:
(have we reached your, to tell or not to tell limit yet?)

Gecko_Den
04-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Quote;
(So, if I changed that last scenario and you were just at a reptile show, not a vendor, and were approached by the backpack guy and offered a reptile, would you then tell the organizer?)

So what if that same backpack guy approaches you with the most beautiful Hybino you have ever seen..........for 20 bucks? :dgrin:
(have we reached your, to tell or not to tell limit yet?)

Hybinos are ugly, no such thing in my opinion as "the most beautiful Hybino you have ever seen". :raspberry Besides, I always look a gift horse in the mouth. Offer me something out of your backpack for 1/10th of it's market value and I'm assuming you stole it off one of the vendor tables and dragging your ass to the organizer. :)

riverjop
04-18-2005, 12:36 PM
So your ethical limit is determined by the possibility of it being stolen or you just think Hybinos are ugly? What if a ugly girl with a pretty backpack brought in a beautiful Tang and was wearing a police uniform? Huh? Huh?

Bringerofdoom
04-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Let me address these two points.

First, if a non-paying member of fauna was using a thread to advertise his/her business, then of course I would report it because it has a negative impact to the people who pay to advertise on this site.

Secondly, it goes without saying that it is everyone's responsibility to report a drunk driver, as again, his/her actions could have a potentially devastating impact on others.

The gecko for sale on eBay is not in the same category as those two examples. If the auction was not canceled, and the gecko was successfully sold, not even eBay would be harmed, as they would receive the fees from this seller. The seller gets paid, eBay gets paid, and the buyer gets a gecko, where's the harm here?
Granted, it does no one harm for a leopard gecko to be sold on e-bay, but do you want the other people who dont bother to read e-bays TOS to do the same thing??? Then after a while it becomes another place for the scammers to go sell to all those unsuspecting e-bay people, who probably do not know about other reptile auction and classified sites..

ShannanD25
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Well Overton,
What if it is a pretty girl with an ugly backpack in a police uniform?

I sold lobster roaches on ebay. I saw others selling crickets and mealworms so I thought I would try it. It didn't get taken down. So I am supposing feeder bugs are okay. I looked through the rules and policy and didn't really see anything about it....(bugs)

Well if anyone approaches me with a backpack at the NY show this Sunday I'll run the other way....after giving them Overton's phone number...

mindcrash
04-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Granted, it does no one harm for a leopard gecko to be sold on e-bay, but do you want the other people who dont bother to read e-bays TOS to do the same thing??? Then after a while it becomes another place for the scammers to go sell to all those unsuspecting e-bay people, who probably do not know about other reptile auction and classified sites..

Well, I can say that I have never read eBays TOS and I have used their service many, many times over the years.

As for scammers potentially using eBay, well, firstly I don't see how this one auction would lead to that, since eBay doesn't allow live animal sales. Secondly, scammers will try and use any service they can to execute their nefarious schemes, so I'm not sure how this has any relevance.

Gecko_Den
04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
So your ethical limit is determined by the possibility of it being stolen or you just think Hybinos are ugly? What if a ugly girl with a pretty backpack brought in a beautiful Tang and was wearing a police uniform? Huh? Huh?

Slow day in the land of potato, Overton? :cool:

riverjop
04-18-2005, 06:42 PM
I know! after a hard day of diggin taters I wouldn't mind a ugly girl with a pretty backpack, but Shannan make sure she's not wearing a uniform......well maybe a nurse's....oh that reminds me of this story in mexico.................

montezuma
04-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, I can say that I have never read eBays TOS and I have used their service many, many times over the years.

As for scammers potentially using eBay, well, firstly I don't see how this one auction would lead to that, since eBay doesn't allow live animal sales. Secondly, scammers will try and use any service they can to execute their nefarious schemes, so I'm not sure how this has any relevance.

While I agree with you that scammers will utilize every forum allowed (hmmm... sounds much like the issue with our Southern Border!), correct me if I am wrong here but I think that the ultimate point is this...

1.there is less chance of someone scamming people out of their hard earned $$$ if the ad is in the view of those that understand what it is and how it should be...

2.Plain and simply, it is better for everyone in the business if the "alternative" sources are not used... mostly due to point #1.

Golden Gate Geckos
04-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Since I am probably the 'oldest' of all of us here on the LG Forum, I am throwing in my 2 cents... so none of you 'whipper-snappers' better argue with me!

I am of the opinion that people rarely read the TOS of anything. (Take a look at my single warning point here on Fauna, lol!) When folks see one person do something, they assume it's OK for everyone to do! So, somebody posts a 'legal' reptile for sale on eBay and their moderators don't happen to catch it, and the next thing you know there are LOTS of reptiles for sale on eBay, and some may not be so legal. By that time, there's folks who have placed bids, and then when the ad gets pulled there will always be someone who is so pissed off that they call their lawyer, and then the DFG gets their feathers ruffled, yada yada yada...

When the minority of those who break the rules are the ones that are setting precedence for the rest of us who are trying to comply, we are heading down a road that only adds more rules... perhaps to the point that none of us could follow. I truly believe that if we as reptile keepers/breeders want to keep our hobby/business from having the rug pulled out from under us, we need to police ourselves and others!

riverjop
04-18-2005, 08:18 PM
True! But.......Gaaaad ......you really are .......OLD!!! :raspberry

Gekkonida
04-18-2005, 09:27 PM
When the minority of those who break the rules are the ones that are setting precedence for the rest of us who are trying to comply, we are heading down a road that only adds more rules... perhaps to the point that none of us could follow. I truly believe that if we as reptile keepers/breeders want to keep our hobby/business from having the rug pulled out from under us, we need to police ourselves and others!

AMEN :hehe:

montezuma
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
1.there is less chance of someone scamming people out of their hard earned $$$ if the ad is in the view of those that understand what it is and how it should be...

2.Plain and simply, it is better for everyone in the business if the "alternative" sources are not used... mostly due to point #1.

I truly believe that if we as reptile keepers/breeders want to keep our hobby/business from having the rug pulled out from under us, we need to police ourselves and others!

However you want to put it! Same dif....LOL

mindcrash
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
I think that will wrap things up.

Thanks for playing everyone. Here's the official tally: Me: 1 Everyone Else: 0 ;)

I enjoyed the discussion, thanks everyone who chimed in.

Golden Gate Geckos
04-18-2005, 11:05 PM
True! But.......Gaaaad ......you really are .......OLD!!! Yeah, but Overton.... you ain't that far behind me!!! LOL!!!

Golden Gate Geckos
04-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Here's the official tally: Me: 1 Everyone Else: 0 LOL!!! It's a good thing you don't work for those "Gallup" folks! LOL!!!

riverjop
04-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Marcia, I would bet I'll pass you!....see you in heaven! :dgrin:

mindcrash
04-19-2005, 12:02 AM
LOL!!! It's a good thing you don't work for those "Gallup" folks! LOL!!!

I like to call it fuzzy math :raspberry

diablohogs
04-19-2005, 04:01 AM
So what if that same backpack guy approaches you with the most beautiful Hybino you have ever seen..........for 20 bucks?

anything too good to be true probably is. i tend to live by this philosiphy. i believe they would have probably been stolen.

but the point i think overton was trying to make is that if this person had something to offer that sparked your intrest enough most people would be reluctant to "tattle". i agree.

as far as the whole ebay thing i have to agree that it is somewhat wrong. first of all the gecko was fairly underpriced. this seemed like a scam to the original poster of this thread, which seemed to be the motivation of this thread to begin with. besides you can set up auctions here on fauna so i.m.o. that person was stealing buisiness from all of us who post classifieds on this website.

i wouldnt have "tattled" myself but i may have posted a similar thread if A) i actually ever read a T.O.S. and knew the rules AND B) if i felt like this person was representing what he was selling dishonestly.

just my 5th o' dime.