PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Wolf-Inquiry/Help

Junkyard
08-28-2005, 09:38 PM
I am selling a 2.1 trio of Boa Constrictors, placed an add here in a local classified section online. I offered a discount if they mentioned the ad. I recevied this reply to my ad, along with a reply to my firet e-mail back to him. Does this seem odd to you or do you think it is just a case of grammer problems. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

His reply to my add:

you will what i want a few red tails (Mention Backpage and I will cut the price) thats what you stated!!!! i want 2 or more so tell me more info

nicholas

my response kind of probing him just a little:

Nicholas,

I have 3 normal Boa Constrictors (2 males 1 femaIe) normally sell for
$95, but for backpage I am selling them for $75. For all three that
would be $225. They are 4 months old eating 1 adult mouse a week. They
are growing like weeds.

They are not true "redtails" These are Columbian Boa Constrictors (Boa
Constrictor Imperator). Next year I should have true "redtails"
Surinam Boa Constrictors (Boa Constrictor Constrictor) They will be
priced at $325 each.

If you any specific questions please ask.

Michael

his reply to my e-mail:

ok that is cool thank you.... would you have picture of them or info on what they look like or site that would point me in a way to compare them. becuase i have a red tail boa but, i am about to give her back too this person that does not take care of her and the law want help me but what can i do... but on the other hand i built a cage for her now it will be empty need something to fill it up with................... 3 1/2 ft by 3 1/2 ft and 6 ft tall 4 levels with on of the levels that is a pool well a tuperwear that is mounted and filled with water (pool) nice !!!!! help me out

thank you
nicholas wolf

Dennis Hultman
08-28-2005, 10:02 PM
So why did you put this on the BOI?

You have not made a deal. He has not bought anything. Did you put this up to chastise his grammar? This is not what the BOI is for. A kid inquired about an ad, that is all you have so far.

Dennis Hultman
08-28-2005, 10:10 PM
And what do you need help with?

Nicholas Wolf-Inquiry/Help

You either sell to him or you don't.

Junkyard
08-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Sorry for asking if this seemed odd to anyone. I am not going after his grammer persay, I just wanted to know if anyone has had situations like these that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

DThomas
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a juvenile. I wouldn't continue any further with him.

Junkyard
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
I am not after the individual exactly, it was more of a situation problem, if I used this in the wrong forum I appologise.

Junkyard
08-28-2005, 10:36 PM
thank you DThomas

Jim O
08-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a kid to me also. I would ask how old he is and for proof of age. If he is underage, I would offer to deal with his parents.

Matt Haines
08-28-2005, 11:45 PM
The same thing happened to us earlier this week. A young boy by the name Of Christian inquired about a dragon on our site. He also called and left a message on our machine(wonder if it was long distance and if his parents knew). By his voice I could tell he most likely hadn't reached the age of puberty yet so when I emailed him back. I offered that if he could get his parents permission and have them contact me directly that I would sell it to his parents but not to a minor. Needless to say I haven't heard back.

The big thing with young people is that you shouldn't blow them off. Be cordial and explain to him that either you are not comfortable with the idea or that you need to talk to his parents. We have to keep the young ones interested in this hobby and help them have memorable exchanges with people.

Junkyard
08-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Thank you for the help, I am going to ask for proof of age. My big rule of thumb is I will not sell to minors. This is the first time I have had any sort of issue come up, so I will take the advice I have received. Thank you again.

The BoidSmith
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
We have to keep the young ones interested in this hobby and help them have memorable exchanges with people.

Very well said Matthew! Sometimes we are too hard on kids that frequent this site forgetting we were all there once. We are not going to be here forever, the best we can do is try to instill in them our enthusiasm. Just picture him in your mind, he is just starting to write but he knows already he wants to keep some boas. A final thought though, let’s not make fun of his “gramer”, without first improving our “gramar” (sorry couldn’t resist! ;) ).

Best regards!

The BoidSmith
08-29-2005, 12:15 AM
A final thought though, let’s not make fun of his “gramer”, without first improving our “gramar” (sorry couldn’t resist! ).

Gram[U]m[/B]ar

It's getting too late! Good night everyone. :)

The BoidSmith
08-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Gram[U]m[/B]ar

Can you believe this???? :rofl: :rofl:

Junkyard
08-29-2005, 12:38 AM
You know I rarely use the spell check button, but look below it is right there. Really that was not what I was after belittling his grammar, there are Nigerian scammers, but I did not know if this seemed like one or not. It just did not seem quite right.

I did send him a polite e-mail and I am willing to work with him and his parents. So I will see what happens.

The BoidSmith
08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Michael,

And I was not pretending to criticize you for understanding you were belittling his grammar. It was intended to be just a joke...but the joke was on me! But that’s alright! We sometimes take ourselves too serious when it’s easier to laugh at our mistakes. It makes life a lot easier. :)

Take care.

Junkyard
08-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Michael,

And I was not pretending to criticize you for understanding you were belittling his grammar. It was intended to be just a joke...but the joke was on me! But that’s alright! We sometimes take ourselves too serious when it’s easier to laugh at our mistakes. It makes life a lot easier. :)

Take care.

Yeah, I got the joke, thanks.

Here is to myself... :>poke2<:

Well, he says he is 22 years old and has proof. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt and set up a time to meet him.

Griz
08-29-2005, 01:03 PM
If he will meet you then great. But, as the others have stated, we have to be real careful about discounting the herp fans under the age of 18. When I am too old to hold my boa's or to fight against/for legislation, it will be those young whippersnappers that we will count on to protect our hobby!

Griz

Junkyard
08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
I fully agree, I have always loved this hobby as far as I can remember. My mother would not allow me to own any reptiels as a child, that she knew of :hehe: But it was those who had snakes when I was a child that would let me hold those monsters, those are the ones that kept the hobby on fire inside me. I remember being 8-9 years old holding an 8 foot boa my aunt owned, wrapped around my neck just a squeeze from choking me(maybe that is what is wrong with me, after all these years of trying to figure out........) Sorry brain fart.

To those people I am grateful, I try to light the match in litttle ones or throw some gas into the flames of those who already love reptiles. I am hoping Nicholas will be good for these boas, after I meet with him I wil let everyone know how it goes. I am thinking he may be a pretty good guy, through my e-mails with him.