PDA

View Full Version : Breeders:i need help please!!!

lilraider
09-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi im thinking about breeding leos and i really need your help!!!I have a lot of questions but first let me summerise: I have a hypo tangerine male about 65g and a lavender female about 90g and all the proper set ups(and i have a few other leo but im not breeding them yet). Now to the questions:Is there any advice you guys could give me?What kind of leos do you think ill end up with?and whats the best way to get them to breed besides lighting and temp.?THANKS

-John

dragonflyreptiles
09-26-2005, 06:36 PM
You will most likely get some babies that are different degress of tang from tang to hypo and some that are lavender.

When I first set up my breeders in groups I wait until I see the females ovulating then place the male in the bins with them. Then a few weeks later you will start to see eggs in her belly, then up to 4 weeks after you start to see eggs, she should lay them. Just make sure to have a moist lay box and a good incubator.

The ovulation will look like pink circles about the side of a pencil eraser mid belly. I have an old pic Ill try to find to show it since mine are all done for the year and not ovulating right now.

lilraider
09-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for advice anyone else willing to help?PLEASE

aliceinwl
09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Wendy gave some great advice. All my geckos are done for the season too. I keep my breeding groups together year round. So this time of year, I usually put my groups together for next season. My males really aren't interested in breeding this time of year either and my females are big and tough enough to set them straight if they try (if your male is set on breeding and she's not interested there could be fighting so you'll have to monitor them closely and be prepared to re-separate them if they can't settle their differences). I don't do anything special with temps or lighting, but they do get light from the windows in the room and probably cycle themselves with this. The girls usually start ovulating and the males get amorous starting in February or March most years and lay their first clutches mid March or early April. From other posts, the timing of the breeding season does seem to vary a bit.

-Alice

raiquee
09-27-2005, 08:59 AM
You can technically breed leos year round, since most of the time they are pretty raring to go. I have a couple pairs breeding before the end of my season, with 5 eggs cooking in the incubator as present. Mainly just getting DHs. *shrugs* In the incubator should be tangy albinos ;)

I ususally just put the female in with the male, and once i seem eggs forming i serperate them out so the female isn't stressed more than she has to be. I don't know if i will get my other female blizz to breed to my lv albino this year, as we do have a window and i notice them slowing down a bit. But i hope to at least get one of them going, and my stripe pair to pop out eggs.

In the future i plan to breed in a room with no windows, so i can spread it out and breed year round :)

USAGECKOS
09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Wendy, ALice, and Desire gave some great advice. I agree with them, especially Desire when she said that they can breed year round. I have my setups on the first floor of my house which is partially underground so it stays pretty dark seeing that the windows are at ground level. I have some geckos that are just coming of size and age and should be breeding anytime now ( keeping my fingers crossed).

I never mess with the heating on my tanks/enclosures, I keep it at 90 hot side and 80'ish cool side year round and they breed on their own.

Good Luck with your Leos and keep us posted!

groovygeckos
09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Not much to ad , but just do it for fun and dont get too many . LOL

USAGECKOS
09-27-2005, 05:24 PM
dont get too many . LOL

Yeah Right!!! That is impossible!!!

groovygeckos
09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
I know !!! But if he beleives me, maybe he can somehow resist the Geckos with the most mind controlling abilities . :hehe:

" YOU WILL BUY ME ONE NEW FRIEND ...YOU WILL BUY ME TWO NEW FRIEND S...YOU WILL BUY ME THREE NEW FRIENDS"