PDA

View Full Version : The mack that started it all.............

Chris@TSE
10-26-2005, 06:11 AM
Pay your respects to the Godfather, Don Vito.... :bow01:

The Male Mack that started it all...... As seen in Robbie Hampers Leopard Gecko Manual

http://topshelfexotic.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/donvito4.JPG

http://topshelfexotic.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/donvito1.JPG

http://topshelfexotic.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/donvito2.JPG

http://topshelfexotic.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/donvito3.JPG

Monte
10-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Easy to see why that trait is Co Dominant - lots of little look a likes scurrying about.

I've never seen that pix before. Thanks for sharing.

Is he still alive, or does he sleep with the fishes?

Jeremy Letkey
10-26-2005, 08:36 AM
I guess that makes him the Mack Daddy?? :raspberry

Chris@TSE
10-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Easy to see why that trait is Co Dominant - lots of little look a likes scurrying about.

I've never seen that pix before. Thanks for sharing.

Is he still alive, or does he sleep with the fishes?

Oh he's quite alive, and a proud new member of our collection.

I guess that makes him the Mack Daddy??

oh yes, THE Mack Daddy.

wsmitty
10-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Wow! Very nice. I bet you paid a pretty penny to own that little bit of history.

This may have been asked before, but what is his lineage? Have his parents produced any more Macks?

Wayne

dragonflyreptiles
10-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Awesome Chris, bet you are glad to have him!

tanias16
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Congrats, he's gorgeous!

saltwaterreptiles
10-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Very cool to own that piece of living history Chris... as someone else mentioned, I would be curious as to his parents as well..

Golden Gate Geckos
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
So that's the little trouble-maker!!! LOL!

wsmitty
10-26-2005, 11:13 PM
I find it quite interesting that the "Mack that started it all" is a Super(looks like one to me). This would imply that the parents were not carriers and the co-dominant "mack" gene came into existence by a mutation that equally effected both of the siblings alleles(at the "mack" locus)! Does any one know if this kind of mutation has been documented in any other animals?

Wayne

Chris@TSE
10-26-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm sure that it was not realized until the first super was created.... Then it was obviously used to sire future generations :)

As for the parents, I am uncertain. It is something I will have to ask Alex and John

wsmitty
10-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm sure that it was not realized until the first super was created.... Then it was obviously used to sire future generations :)

OK, that would make more sense. Thanks.

Wayne

LadyGecko
10-27-2005, 05:52 AM
He is absolutely BEAUTIFUL
Now that is my idea of a snow
:D
CONGRATS on the acquisition of a beautiful Leo
Sandy

Chris@TSE
10-27-2005, 06:28 AM
OK, that would make more sense. Thanks.

Wayne

No problem :)

I'm interested in knowing myself but I'm just happy to own a bit of leo history. Working with him will be a blast....

I'm sure if he had popped out unexpectedly he probably originated from a group or colony setting of line bred snows perhaps.... ?? I think john breeds on a larger scale and the probability of him hatching this from a single pairing is slim, but again I'm just guessing. The difference between line and codom snows was not very obvious unless you knew what to look for...... and one would not be looking for such a difference until given a reason. ie. the super.

It would have probably taken a season or two, perhaps MUCH longer if working with large diverse colonies where breeders would be rotated.....

It could have simply originated from a group of line bred snows with one hidden co-dominant animal. After these babies matured and made it into a breeding rotation in the same colonies I am sure a related animal, unknown at the time to be codom, perhaps made its way back to the original sire and the super was born. Tracking down the sires in a group of similar looking animals when you do not know what you are looking for probably proved to be a very daunting task if it was attempted. I'm sure much more progress would have been made working with the actual super and unrelated animals to prove specifics....

For example... I'm currently dealing with a similar task trying to prove the source of a new project leo I'm working with. Similar to what I guessed above, I was able to reproduce the animal but.......I am still working to track down the origin animals. :bawling:

Working backwards can sometimes be much harder. Granted another season will give me all the specifics I need to know regarding the genetics of this animal due my progress forward, and locating the source won't really be as important in determining the type of trait, etc..... but its always nice to know :)