PDA

View Full Version : fire and smoke, the perfect wake up call...

The NY Gecko
02-19-2006, 08:11 PM
so i took a nap for about 2 hours, and i wake up to smoke, chaos, and radio chatter. as im typing this the firemen are drilling and cutting away at a wall on one side of my house. ill explain. we have a wood burning stove. the pipe leads from inside to a chimney on the outside. well apparently some debris(ie ashes and cinders) managed to get thru a crack in the mortar at the base. this proceeded to cause a fire in the crawl spac eunderneath. it was very tricky to find as the heat gun couldnt pick it up. after being here for a good 2 hours now, theyve only just discovered the flame apprxoimately 30 minutes ago. fun stuff eh? the geckos are safe, they do not live at this residence. any questions with regards to that ill answer later if it please the public. in the words of paul aka LeosForLess, "quick get the comp and geckos out of the house, leave the siblings."

Dan Lubinsky
02-20-2006, 12:04 AM
AAAhhhhh, job security.

techgirl
02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
tom i am glad that you are ok. thank god it didn't become a serious problem and that everyone is ok

reptilebreeder
02-20-2006, 12:15 AM
AAAhhhhh, job security.Sure. But maybe remember that that job security is somebody's house (in this case that of a forum member)

Dan Lubinsky
02-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Lighten up, just responding to Tom's "leave the siblings"... and it's his house. Tom, you should've lent them your reptile thermometer.

BalloonzForU
02-20-2006, 01:09 AM
In the words of paul aka LeosForLess, "quick get the comp and geckos out of the house, leave the siblings."

I like that....I'm glad my younger sister was born when I was 19 and already out of the house. :raspberry

The NY Gecko
02-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Lighten up, just responding to Tom's "leave the siblings"... and it's his house. Tom, you should've lent them your reptile thermometer.
dad yelled at me for being in the way too many times, i wasnt going to mock their equipment. meh, everybodys ok. ill post pics of the dmg if i can

reptilebreeder
02-20-2006, 03:29 AM
Lighten up, just responding to Tom's "leave the siblings"... and it's his house. Tom, you should've lent them your reptile thermometer.Yes sir. Just thought on a public forum, such a statement from a professional public servant looks kind of tacky, at least without a LOL, or comment that you knew the person or whatever. I'd think it tacky and unprofessional if I said the same thing to you, if someone in your family got hurt or had a medical emergency, guess I'm just too sensitive, sorry.

Dan Lubinsky
02-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Apologies if you or anyone else were offended, John. I thought Tom's closing qoute to his post set the tone, seeing that he was still in the house during the incident. BTW, I'm a fellow Paramedic with 18 years on rescue and try to rely on a (somewhat twisted) sense of humor to keep on chuggin'. Hopefully you'll be retired by the time you reach my crusty old age of 54 (there I go again offending old folks). Let's just hope nobody posts of their cat stuck in a tree or I'll have to hit them with the old " Have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree ? ".

The NY Gecko
02-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes sir. Just thought on a public forum, such a statement from a professional public servant looks kind of tacky, at least without a LOL, or comment that you knew the person or whatever. I'd think it tacky and unprofessional if I said the same thing to you, if someone in your family got hurt or had a medical emergency, guess I'm just too sensitive, sorry. its quite alright. me and dan communicate with frequency through email. my house still smells like smoke this mornin and all my clothes smell too

:hot:

The NY Gecko
02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
heres some of the pics

The NY Gecko
02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
and here are the rest.

Golden Gate Geckos
02-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Holy Smokes!!! What an ordeal... I's so glad everyone is safe and the house still intact!

LeosForLess
02-20-2006, 04:25 PM
HOLY SMOKES (no pun intended) i bet the firemen liked a paparazzi

Southwick Herps
02-20-2006, 08:39 PM
All of our differences aside, Im glad you, and all of your family is ok, and glad the damage wasn't anything super serious.

StinaUIUC
02-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Wow that sucks...actually something similar happened my mom's cousin (he may as well be my uncle) last year....except he ended up with a lot more damage. I guess the fire was in his walls...and the smoke detectors or whatever were going off...but like you said you can't see the fire or detect it by temp. He ended up having to move out of his house and have contractors come in and fix everything......and then they screwed up and it didn't pass inspection so they had to do it again....I think he's still living in a hotel actually....

reptilebreeder
02-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Apologies if you or anyone else were offended, John. I thought Tom's closing qoute to his post set the tone, seeing that he was still in the house during the incident. BTW, I'm a fellow Paramedic with 18 years on rescue and try to rely on a (somewhat twisted) sense of humor to keep on chuggin'. Hopefully you'll be retired by the time you reach my crusty old age of 54 (there I go again offending old folks). Let's just hope nobody posts of their cat stuck in a tree or I'll have to hit them with the old " Have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree ? ".Never thought I'd be the old fart who would be offended so easily. Guess it just hit me wrong. Some fellow posts that his house caught on fire, and then an "off the cuff" remark about job security. That's the problem sometiimes, with the internet, I had no way of knowing if you knew the OP or it was an inside joke or what. I just thought "wow" insensitive for that poor guy who's house caught on fire. The twisted humor, no need to tell me about that. :dgrin: My gallows (is that the right term?) humor is sometimes the only thing that keeps me, and others in the biz, sane. I have caught myself, and others saying something that some might consider "not very nice" (to put it mildly), and realized that there are "civilians" in close proximity, maybe that's what I kind of thought this was, as it was "said" out in public. No harm, no foul.

Dan Lubinsky
02-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Stay safe, John. You know all too well what's out there. Tom, it looks like they did a great job with a minimum of damage. Sometimes they'll do much more damage than the actual event but it's far better than having a rekindle.

The NY Gecko
02-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Stay safe, John. You know all too well what's out there. Tom, it looks like they did a great job with a minimum of damage. Sometimes they'll do much more damage than the actual event but it's far better than having a rekindle. there was a brick wall there before.... i wonder waht happened to it
:raspberry

USAGECKOS
02-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Glad to hear everyone is ok, bummer about the waal, but at least that can be fixed

The NY Gecko
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
yeah, were getting a new gas fireplace and everything form our insurance company. we only gotta pay 500 out of the like 10K. its great.

raiquee
02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Glad everyone is okay :)

reptilebreeder
02-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, then I guess like Dan I'll try a shot at some levity. I think I found your problem...you've got your heat lamp pointed the wrong way, and it's to close to the wall. :rofl:

BalloonzForU
02-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, then I guess like Dan I'll try a shot at some levity. I think I found your problem...you've got your heat lamp pointed the wrong way, and it's to close to the wall. :rofl:

LOL I was thinking the same thing a while back. :)

nicolai
02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
All I know is that I have the exact same Hot wheels track laying on my kitchen floor right now!!! I guess everyone with a little boy has the "hot wheels track on the floor" problem everyday !!!

BalloonzForU
02-21-2006, 06:33 PM
All I know is that I have the exact same Hot wheels track laying on my kitchen floor right now!!! I guess everyone with a little boy has the "hot wheels track on the floor" problem everyday !!!

Hot Wheels, Matchbox & Legos OH MY!!!! My son's cars and legos have taken over the house! At least he shares. He picked out a bunch of Corvette's that I liked and put them on my desk and gave them Lego drivers. About once a month I have to go through the hutch on my desk and put his toys back in his room, if not, I wouldn't be able to find my desk.

hill4803
02-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Fire sucks! I had the smoke detectors go off in my house just a few months after I bought it. I don't think I have gone from sleeping like a rock to wide awake in a shorter period of time. Luckily it was just a malfunction in one smoke detector that set all the others off. But I ran around the house with my fire extinguisher looking for some small fire, there was no smoke or smell. I ended up replacing the brand new smoke detectors with a new set, manufacturers defect = free set ;)
Glad to see everyone in your house is safe and none the worse for wear...but I highly recommend smoke detectors if you already didn't have them!

The NY Gecko
02-21-2006, 07:52 PM
well we had them. just not in the basement. the fire was IN the floor so the smoke came out of the crawl space and into the basement. the firemen hooked us up though. thanks everyone for the concern. my computer was packed up along wtih all the accessroies in a matter of less than 2 minutes. 2400 dollar computer, id rathe rit not become a 2400 dollar pile of ash thank you.

reptilebreeder
02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
All I know is that I have the exact same Hot wheels track laying on my kitchen floor right now!!! I guess everyone with a little boy has the "hot wheels track on the floor" problem everyday !!!How bad is it when I no longer have any little ones, but still have lots of toys everywhere? :rofl: :rofl: I'm going through like my 5th or 6th "midlife crisis" relive childhood phase. :ack2:

acpart
02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
My entire dining room is taken over by a giant k'nex roller coaster. My 12 year old son is not only crowding out my gecko expansion from the living room, but he also fights me for computer time so he can check out the roller coaster forums.

Aliza