PDA

View Full Version : my new gecko (not a leopard)

brandy101010
02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
my parents brought home a tokay gecko from petco to me because it was free to a good home. (guess they diddnt know that there was a difference between leopards a tokays lol) well he looks a little on the skinny side to me. his spine is kinda sticking out. someone told me that he looks healthy and that its normal for themto be that skinny? but all the pics i have seen are of chubby little jaba the gecko looking things. i never had one before. i found plenty of basic care sheets online but am having a hard time finding any in depth info on them. i have all the basics covered and as soon ass he/she poos ill be taking it to a vet for a fecal. oh and he is missing a toe. he is so cool. I hope i can get some weight on him!

Landmark Reptiles
02-20-2006, 02:32 PM
LOL not trying to be mean here but I would not handle a Tokay! I have seen some pretty nasty wounds from them, and from what iIve read they have a nack for biting, and biting hard. Good luck with fattening him up- better off at your place then petco fo' sure!

lilDD
02-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Kewl Gecko, hope his health returns to normal!

lilDD
02-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Keep me updated on his health, and be very cautious when handleing! They can get kinda nasty!!!

brandy101010
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
oh i know they can be nasty. i used to work at a pet store and i dreaded whenever i had to take them out of the take!
it looks like im holding him/her in this pic but actually my hand is behind the glass. i was trying to block a glare lol. but if you look at his back feet you can see that he is just sticking to the glass.

lilDD
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow the pic is deceaving! lol

BalloonzForU
02-20-2006, 03:26 PM
LOL...I was hoping you weren't hold that gecko. You're gutsier than me. I won't be keeping them anytime soon. But they are very pretty.

Ian S.
02-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Tokays definately tend to have nasty dispositions. Lots of TLC, handling & rubbing they tame nicely. With the exception of a few. Getting bit is not a good idea ever, but from first hand expierience when tokays bite they bite long and hard. I would recomend a good pair of gloves for training. Be warned.... sometimes gloves stay in the tank with the gecko. LOL :)

snookman
02-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Thats a cool gecko! I always thought Tokay's were the coolest looking gecko and wanted one for the longest time,(still do!) but I heard that they bark pretty loud at night and I can't be having that. Do they really bark?

brandy101010
02-21-2006, 01:36 PM
i have not heard mine bark yet. but maybe its because he is still getting used to his home.

He is doing really well he has taken to tweezer feeding and thats a good sign in my book that he may be able to be tamed!

Thanks for your comments everyone!