PDA

View Full Version : Infertility

Th3HiddenGecko
02-21-2006, 05:58 PM
I have a four year old female that just cannot seem to lay fertile eggs. She bred with a male once and has produced 2 clutches in a period of 5 weeks. Could the female herself be infertile? She has a third clutch on the way so I'm curious to see how they turn out.

nicolai
02-21-2006, 06:01 PM
could it be the male??

Th3HiddenGecko
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't think so because he is a 2.5 year old male who is a proven breeder.

LadyGecko
02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Just out of curiosity-what vitamin/mineral supplements are you using with your Leos?
I have read on this forum and others that there are many people that believe certain supplements in adults can cause infertility
Sorry-I don't remember at this time which they were and if vit D3 was involved
I am sure that someone with more knowledge of this will pop in and enlighten us as to whether I am on the right track or not
Sandy

Th3HiddenGecko
02-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I use jurassipet jurassical calcium supplement. The only ingredient is cacium carbonate.

Th3HiddenGecko
02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
I also forgot to mention that I did use Repcal calcium w/ vit.D3 for about 2 years of her life.

dragonflyreptiles
02-21-2006, 06:55 PM
I would add a multi vitamin, I use Reptivite with D3 and herptivite without D3, I also use Mineral O a couple of times a month for trace minerals.

Th3HiddenGecko
02-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Do you mix the calcium with the multivitamins or give them separately at different feedings?

Supahypegex
02-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I keep a dish of calcium in there bins all the time I dust the worms with vitamins every other week. I also use calcium with D3 maybe once a month

Th3HiddenGecko
02-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I keep a dish of calcium in there bins all the time I dust the worms with vitamins every other week. I also use calcium with D3 maybe once a month
What kind of vitamins do you use?

acpart
02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Maybe you should try her with a different male. I had a female last summer who laid 3-4 clutches of infertile eggs 4-5 weeks apart. (The male was successful with another female). I put her with a different male near the end of the season and she had 2 fertile clutches. I don't know why this happened. I have her with the original male again this year and they have mated, but so far no eggs.

Aliza

dragonflyreptiles
02-22-2006, 06:07 PM
I use herptivite everyday and add reptivite 3 times a week with D3 on all feeders. I have pure calcium in a dish at all times.

dragonflyreptiles
02-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh and I use Mieral without D3 a few times a month when I think about it.

Th3HiddenGecko
02-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Thank you. You all have been a great help. I will have to try her with a different male to see if it really is him that could be the problem.

dragonflame
02-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Is she a first time breeder? I have a 4 year old female I was breeding for the first time and sometimes they dont lay fertile eggs their whole first breeding season. I got one fertile one out of her at the end of the season. So if none of these things help don't panic, you might just have to wait until next year.

Th3HiddenGecko
02-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I did try breeding her about a year ago but I got the same results. She only layed one clutch and it was infertile.

groovygeckos
02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
How long did you put the pair together for? Ive found sometimes it takes several visits with a male to get fertile eggs. Last year I just got sooo lucky, one visit with one of our males is all it took for most of the girls. We did have two females in with males the whole season. But the ones that were only bred once initially, did pretty well too.

Th3HiddenGecko
02-24-2006, 12:19 AM
The first time I put them together they bred immediately. I put them together the very next day and again they bred right away. After she layed her first clutch I tried putting them together again but this time she wouldn't breed with him. Maybe it's because she knows that she's pregnant? I'm not to sure.

groovygeckos
02-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Hmmm I dunno then. I think that means theyve had enough. Sound familiar guys? :rofl: Well except for getting smacked with a tail I mean LOL :hehe:

Th3HiddenGecko
02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Well thanks for trying. I'll try breeding her a few more times later and see if I can get any fertile eggs out of her. If not she'll just be my pet.

dragonflyreptiles
02-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Ok Im not trying to be rude but I honestly do not think you will get fertile eggs until you supplement properly with a multivitamin, calcium and some D3 from time to time.

If there are breeders here that are successful with calcium only, maybe they can give you better advise but I know that I used Leo Gecko Dust one year and only wound up with 2 fertile eggs out of 9 females. I thought it would have been the male but the next season with proper supplements all females with him had no or only 1 infetile clutch.

Id try to correct the supplements before changing anything else.

Th3HiddenGecko
02-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Yes. I was thinking about it and I will go and get a multivitamin. Is the one made by rep-cal the best?

dragonflyreptiles
02-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Rep Cal makes the Herptivite and I use it daily.