PDA

View Full Version : egg issue

perefalcon
02-23-2006, 05:36 PM
last night was bad. I went to do my nightly check on the egg laid on the 11th and opened the incubator, it was off......it was at about 70 for who knows how long. Somehow the breaker got tripped, and there's only a small amount of stuff on that one. when I've candled it I see pink and veins, but it's slightly collapsed, and I don't think that 12 days is enough to be able to see the baby is it? What should I do about this, should I leave it in the incubator and see if it still hatches or just take it out.

On a better note, she did lay 2 this morning, just before these guys arrived

Xavier
02-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey Tonya,
I had the thing happen to me last year, my eggs which where incubated at 90 and dropped 74 I was realled concerned with but all hatched out ok. Lovely crested they look alot like my pair of fire cresteds.

techgirl
02-23-2006, 06:51 PM
cute cresties you got there. i actually strongly considered getting them but decided to get a beardie instead. i can't wait, i'll be getting it on sunday.

HerpAddict
02-23-2006, 08:19 PM
You should have no problems at all. I incubate my crested eggs at 68-72F (depending on the time of year). What I would recommend is trying to now keep them at that temperature, as I would imagine a drastic change in temperature would have the potential for doing them harm.

90F sounds super high for cresteds. The highest I've heard anyone successfully incubate at is 80F.

From personal experience, those incubated for longer at a lower temperature will come out larger and healthier than those cooked on high.

I just put my crested eggs in a cup that is 3/4s full with coco fibre, and bury them a couple inches down, moving them up to the top of the coco fibre when I know they are within a week of hatching.

Moral of the story is, you will be more than fine! The denting is most likely due to not enough moisture. At 12 days, I never see anything in my crested eggs, it normally takes until about a month before I can for sure tell if they are fertile or not. Mine take about 90 days to hatch at 70F.

Goodluck!!

nicolai
02-23-2006, 08:46 PM
if you only have crestie eggs in there leave them at 70 degrees and they should hatch out fine. Nice cresties you have there!!!!

perefalcon
02-23-2006, 09:13 PM
no no no, I'm talking about leo eggs, not crested eggs
not yet, I just thought that I'd share my first cresties instead of starting a new thread in addition, sorry I should have clarified, Xavier knew what I meant because I got the female leo who had the eggs from him.