PDA

View Full Version : black eyes in hatchlings?

saltwaterreptiles
02-23-2006, 11:37 PM
I asked a few folks about this when I got my first clutch this season, one of them were born with pitch black eyes.... the other with the typical blue-ish gray type eyes I expected... now the general consensus was as the black eyed leo aged the black would fade... I'm wondering, how long would this usually take? I have 10 hatchlings from the same father, and 5 more from that female and none of them had the black eyes...

The father was a bell tang and the mother a SHT...

Here's the hatching at a little over 3 weeks old.....

http://www.saltwaterreptiles.com/albums/album30/yinfeb241.jpg

http://www.saltwaterreptiles.com/albums/album30/yinfeb242.jpg

you can see the black eyes I am refering too...

btw,... this one is my fav so far!

Any input would be appreciated!

The NY Gecko
02-24-2006, 12:58 AM
hmm, it would e pretty cool if it sticks around. im not saying it will. i estimate by about 4-6 months it will begin to fade. but who knows. only recently are traits in the eyes really being focused on

KelliH
02-24-2006, 02:38 AM
I would guess that it's eyes are always going to be black. That's such a nice animal, you are lucky! I love solid black eyed leos.

MiaShadows
02-24-2006, 08:56 AM
What a cute little guy! My male has a beautiful starburst pattern in his eyes, its like two stars lookin at you! I have yet to get a good pic of them. I love eye pattern/colors, and all black is just too cool.
~Mia

saltwaterreptiles
02-24-2006, 09:35 AM
He is a cute fella... and a holdback...lol... thanks for the input guys.... the all black eye was a bit of a surprise for me and I am hoping that it does stay and that eye formation is passed on to any hybinos this fella produces, I think its the all black eye that produces the redder eye in albinos, well, thats my theory anyway...lol...

Thanks again

Rebel Dragons
02-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Very cool looking!!! :hehe:

groovygeckos
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Very cool! Is it just dark? Or does it look solid black? Solid black eyes means solid red eyes on an Albino bud! Hope they stay that way for ya`

saltwaterreptiles
02-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Very cool! Is it just dark? Or does it look solid black? Solid black eyes means solid red eyes on an Albino bud! Hope they stay that way for ya`

looks solid black... I'll keep you posted...

The NY Gecko
02-24-2006, 11:54 AM
He is a cute fella... and a holdback...lol... thanks for the input guys.... the all black eye was a bit of a surprise for me and I am hoping that it does stay and that eye formation is passed on to any hybinos this fella produces, I think its the all black eye that produces the redder eye in albinos, well, thats my theory anyway...lol...

Thanks again actually thats true. i mean, albinism is just a lack of melanin in the animals body. so instead of it being black it would be red. seems simple enough. although because of snake eyes that makes it a tad different doesnt it?

groovygeckos
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
although because of snake eyes that makes it a tad different doesnt it?

Tom, not really the only difference is one half (or part)of the eye is solid, the other half is just like any Leos eye, Albino or not.

On a 'snake eyed' RAPTOR, Blizzard, or Blazing both parts of the eye are red. One half being like any Albino eye.

On a 'snake eyed' Eclipse, or Blizzard, both parts are 'normal'. One half being like any Normals eye.

After seeing the Super Snow Albino, I just have to assume, any line w/ solid black eyes(or partial), are solid or partial red, when expressed WITH the Albino genes. Cant wait to see some more Bells with these eye traits!!!!

saltwaterreptiles
02-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I hear you... I was pretty excited when that one hatched out... and to be honest, I am hoping it turns out to be make, incubated at 87ish so there is a chance. If the eyes remain black it will be my main stud for the hybinos and bells...

snowgyre
02-24-2006, 07:18 PM
I dunno if that color's going to stay though. I bought a SHT with black eyes from A&M Gecko at the White Plains (NY) show back in July. She's breeding size now (just laid her first clutch) and her eyes are still dark, but nowhere near the jet black they were when she was a baby. I've got my fingers crossed for you though! That would be sweet if the color stayed!