PDA

View Full Version : Blizzards Reputation...

fireReptiles
02-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Why does Blizzards has reputation of being feisty?
Do they really?
Is there genetic factors that make them like that?

420Geckos
02-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Mine are sweethearts, but they're both female.

Jodi L Aherns
02-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Out of 20 blizzards i have had only 3 were really mean.

Golden Gate Geckos
02-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I think that Blizzards have a reputation for being skiddish and sometimes ill-tempered, but in reality not all are like that. Mine are as laid-back and gentle as any other of my geckos, but I have had a few that were little boogers and one that was like a pit-bull in disposition.

The only theory I have is that they were so inbred when they were first developed that it affected their demeanor. Now, they are being outcrossed with pattys and albinos, which makes them more docile.

Ian S.
02-26-2006, 03:22 PM
All Blizzards I've ever worked with have been straight up chill and yes I paid about $1200.00 back in the day for 1 male and 12 het females. So I've worked with them for quit some time now. I truly believe it's all about how much time is spent handling them. :)

WizardLizards
02-26-2006, 06:30 PM
I have a spaz female, and a snappy male, so the stereotype has proven out so far with me.

I just acquired a baby yesterday, so once it settles in we will see what he/she does.

Tony

fireReptiles
02-27-2006, 05:37 AM
I agree with you Ian, it's all about how much time you spent handling them.

But do you guys think this "bad" reputation of blizzards is affecting how consumers / buyers think of them? make people don't want to own blizzards?

I only have 3 regular blizzards and 2 blazzings. The regular blizzards act normal, just as nice as my other leo morphs, but my 2 blazzings are crazy... they're so angry :reddevil: lol...
Even though I tried to handled them often, they are still like that...
Sometimes they even jump, tried to bite my finger coming in from above their cage.. Just like Marcia said, like a pit-bull in disposition. :p

LeosForLess
02-27-2006, 07:37 AM
It all depends on who you buy from. Now i haven't bought from Ron Tremper, but i bet some of his geckos are a little on the rougher side simply because he has like 123856346 geckos and rarely holds them. Geckos in his facility may see humans for like 5-10 minutes a week. As opposed to me where i see all of my leopard geckos a few minutes a day at least.