PDA

View Full Version : What temp do you consider to low.....

Sarah H
02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
For shipping leos? I personally don't ship unless the lows are at least above 30 and no one I have sold to has had a problem till now.
I am having someone wanting me to ship to a low of 14 on night and 22 the next. I feel it is way to risky ,IMO anyway. Apparently he says he has had them shipped with temp near 0 without a problem.
I guess I just want to know what everyone elses' temp cutoffs are.

Matt Haines
02-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Most people's lows are anywhere from 30-40 degrees. I would say that the lows you are projecting are a bit cool to be shipping out cold blooded animals. See if you can work something out with the buyer to ship when weather is more permissable as most people understand and are willing to work with you if they want the animal. If you feel uneasy shipping in that kind of weather then you should stick to your guns and only ship when the temperature rises a bit. Remember, if the leo dies in transit all the blame will be placed on you regardless of the buyer's demands. Hope that helps a little.

KelliH
02-27-2006, 02:11 PM
i don't normally ship if the low is going to be below freezing, and I prefer it if the low is above 40.

Golden Gate Geckos
02-27-2006, 02:24 PM
I agree that the temps you gave are too low to ship.... after all, 32*F is freezing. I don't like to ship if weather temperatures are below 38*. When I ship geckos, I use the NOAA's (National Weather Service) website to verify the predicted temperatures here in the SF Bay area, the UPS sorting hub, and the destination.

I ship very late in the day... around 5:00 PM, so I need to know the current temperature here at the UPS facility's airport in Oakland, CA. If the destination is East of the Rocky mountains, the package goes to the sorting hub through Louisville, KY. If it's West of the Rockies, it goes through Ontario, CA. The packages arrive around 2:00 AM, so I need to know the overnight low temperatures for those hubs.

After sorting, the package then gets put on another plane to go to it's final destination, which usually arrives around 5:00-6:00 AM. It is put on a truck and goes out for delivery before 10:30 AM, so I need to know the predicted temperature for the destination, since the full effect of the heat-pack is starting to diminish.

Gecko_Den
02-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Overall the decision is yours, if they are unhappy with you not wanting to put the geckos at risk then offer them a refund. Obviously they aren't concerned with the welfare of the geckos, and you can bet that if they die in transit they will blame you!

dragonflyreptiles
02-27-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't like to ship when its below 40 ever and I prefer not to in the winter at all.

But I just got in 16 leos from Garrick a little over a week ago and it was I think 20 nights where he is but it was 50 nights here. The heat packs kept them more than warm too. But they left WI late evening and had gotten to TN by late evening and were in NC by 3am. So they left cold temps with good heat packs.

Now I would not ship to WI this time of year because they would leave the warm temps in no time and get to the cold temps and be there most of the delivery time.

420Geckos
02-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't like to ship when its below 40 ever and I prefer not to in the winter at all.

But I just got in 16 leos from Garrick a little over a week ago and it was I think 20 nights where he is but it was 50 nights here. The heat packs kept them more than warm too. But they left WI late evening and had gotten to TN by late evening and were in NC by 3am. So they left cold temps with good heat packs.

Now I would not ship to WI this time of year because they would leave the warm temps in no time and get to the cold temps and be there most of the delivery time.I bought a gecko from Kelli earlier this month and his flight's been delayed like three weeks now because of the weather. I definitely agree that temps must at least be above freezing to ship. I couldn't image how terrible it would be for them if they were held over. Forget this cold weather business! I gotta move south!

Sarah H
02-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks all, I guess I just needed to know I wasn't crazy for not wanting to ship to such low temps. I am just gonna stick with what I have been doing and if he doesn't like it I'll Gladly refund. I just truly don't want anything to happen to my geckos.
I am really curious who is shipping to him with temps in the single digits.

dragonflyreptiles
02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
I would hold off too, heck I am, I have some leos to ship to one of those 15-22 night areas and we are holding off and they have been waiting to be sent for a while now to go.

This week here is low of 60 nights here but they would leave here fast and get to so cold and be there til delivery so we decided it was best to wait until it is much warmer at the delivery area.

USAGECKOS
02-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Sarah,

I would definately wait until it gets warmer to ship. I live in New England, and it is FREEZING here! Not just the temps, but add the wind and it is even colder.

Hopefully the person will understand that you would rather wait. If not, then I would refund their money. If they are willing to risk the geckos lives by shipping them in such extreme temps, then you have to wonder how they will take care of them when they have them.