PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have a problem with a male too large to breed??

wahberee
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
I have a male at the moment whose pushing close to 100 grams and he's pretty skinny so all of his weight is due to his length. However, my females are the exact opposite, theyre really wide and short so today I put one female in the males enclosure and after countless attempts at trying to fornicate(lol), the male gave up. There was a couple of instances where he got a wrap around her but I dont know if it got the job done. Is it possible for them to mate without the male having a grip on the females head/neck??

dragonflyreptiles
03-08-2006, 03:47 PM
She may have been a little scared in his dominate are, I always put the male in the females cage so she will feel more comfortable. And I have at least 1 male that does not bite hold onto them, I have 1 group in the living room in a tank that I have seen mate with no biting or holding.

Golden Gate Geckos
03-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Is it possible for them to mate without the male having a grip on the females head/neck??Only if she holds still long enough for copulation to complete. It sounds like he is having trouble with 'alignment', LOL! Don't worry, where there's a will, there's a way... "Git 'er done, big fella".

saltwaterreptiles
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
lol.... not leos, but I had a male fattie who needed...ummm... assitance... its his second year breeding but he musta forgot the basics in the off season, or tried to pick up a few new tricks... I put him in with my second year female stripe and he promptly bit her tail and swung his leg over her head...

I reached in and kinda spun him around and we went to it without so much as batting an eyelash...

As Marcia said, where there is a will there is a way.... they'll figure it out amongst themselves..

groovygeckos
03-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Well... I named this pic 'wrong end' for a reason.

wahberee
03-09-2006, 01:16 AM
hahhaha,
great stories,
funny pic Dan,
The male is aggresive, but the female is very susceptible to mating right now because of the season. She doesnt resist and stays still the whole time, but the male is having such a hard time trying to get in position, it looks more like mammalian reproduction. Its pretty funny to watch his frustration though. haha

Southwick Herps
03-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Heh.. Maybe it wasn't the wrong end..?? Gecko foreplay!

Southwick Herps
03-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Who knows lol.. gecko foreplay! I mean, you see the look on the males faces in all the pics!! Females faces look typical.. the disappointed "quick again" kind of thing.

Southwick Herps
03-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Woops.. sorry about the double post.. thought I "escaped" quick enough to change my post without it going through twice.. guess not.