PDA

View Full Version : How do you check your incubater

Xavier
04-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm curious to know how everyone is checking thier incubators temp, I found out last year that the ambient temp of my incubators was nearly always 1-2 degrees but at times as high as 3-4 degrees above that of the temp for the substrate that of the egg containers. My egg containers have lids with 4 very small whole in each lid (1/32nd - 1/16th of an inch). So ever since finding this out I've keep my incubators at 2 degrees above what I want my eggs to be incubating at. So how do you check your eggs incubating temp?

groovygeckos
04-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have actually just went by what the thermo inside the `bator says. Makes sense though.

I have thought of making a 'dummy' egg container, to put the probe in. Then I can always see what the temps are inside one, without opening to check.

BalloonzForU
04-02-2006, 05:54 PM
I started checking both at the end of last year, just to see the difference. I now keep a deli cup with moist vermiculite with a thermometer inside it, in the incubator.

Gregg M
04-02-2006, 07:49 PM
I check both out Xavier..... There is usually a 1 to 2 degree difference from the egg container to the incubator..... The incubator temp is higher..... It might depend on the type of thermostat you are using..... If you are using a thermostat that shuts down instead of gradualy lowering the temp there may be a small temp spike in the incubator temp but not much change in the egg container because it is enclosed....

Golden Gate Geckos
04-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I have thought of making a 'dummy' egg container, to put the probe in.That's how I do it... and also have a mercury thermometer taped right next to the probe.