PDA

View Full Version : responses to inquiries

hhmoore
04-16-2006, 11:47 PM
The online marketplace has been a boon to reptile sales, but it is getting increasingly frustrating. Seems like anybody that has ever kept a snake is popping up and selling them, lol. Unfortunately, many of these people have no clue when it comes to responding to inquiries about their advertisements. Unless everything is covered in the ad, I usually have a few pretty basic questions that I ask + any specific ones I might have about the particular animals. More often than not, the responses I get do not address those questions. If it is something I really want, I will try once more; but after that, I look elsewhere. Another issue (and this one may be unique to me) is responding with "call me". I understand that many people prefer to use the telephone, and that it allows for freer exchange in real time (unlike the email waiting game), but it just isn't convenient for everybody (read: ME, lol). I don't like waiting up or ( :ack2: ) getting up early to call somebody...and I'm sure they would be unappreciative of me calling at 03:00, which is a good time for me.
And anyone that tells me they won't make a transaction without at least one telephone conversation can :censored:.

The BoidSmith
04-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Another issue (and this one may be unique to me) is responding with "call me". I understand that many people prefer to use the telephone, and that it allows for freer exchange in real time (unlike the email waiting game), but it just isn't convenient for everybody (read: ME, lol). I don't like waiting up or ( ) getting up early to call somebody...and I'm sure they would be unappreciative of me calling at 03:00, which is a good time for me.
And anyone that tells me they won't make a transaction without at least one telephone conversation can .

Harald,

Regrettably there's one more reason why you want to have everything spelled out in writing. It has become increasingly common to have to go back and read what was agreed upon in any transaction on the web. From my perspective a combination of both is ideal. All the details in writing plus a confirmation on the telephone. In the latter you might pick up little red flags that you might have missed in the former. Not to mention a priceless piece of information, a telephone number where to get a hold of an individual in case something doesn't go exactly as planned. If someone doesn't want to disclose his phone number before a transaction (even if I don't find the need to call him) then my interest in that transaction is cooled off right there.

Regards.

hhmoore
04-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Dan,
That is one of my reasons for preferring to deal with the question/answer period by email (my schedule is the other). As a seller, I have no objection to offering my number (with times I can be reached), or calling my customer, if requested...but as a purchaser, I rarely feel the need.

I just don't understand why people can't seem to respond informatively when faced with 2-5 questions (which are in writing, so they can look right at them). Mind you, these are usually simple questions, and necessary for the transaction...ie, What payment methods do you accept? or Which shipping carrier do you use? and Please include your full name and phone number with your response

Lucille
04-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Harald,
I totally agree with you. The way I feel about a purchase and a vendor is shaped by the email responses I get to my questions. After all, most reptile purchases these days are not inexpensive and it only takes a minute or two for the vendor to respond, that's a good return for their time if they make the sale.
Like Dan I want a phone number if the purchase is actually made. I will likely never call, but just in case last minute stuff happens with shipping, weather, and so on it is good to be able to talk to the vendor. After all, it is not just a purchase, it is the life of a critter so good planning is essential.

The BoidSmith
04-17-2006, 08:19 AM
and Please include your full name and phone number with your response

That one really bothers me too. It's just a matter of simple courtesy. Some of them won't even sign with their given name!

Regards

hhmoore
04-17-2006, 08:37 AM
As an example, I might send an email stating:
I saw your ad for the female wiggleysnake on JoesSnakes4Sale.com. I am very interested, and have a few quick questions:
How old is she?
What payment methods do you accept? (if PayPal, please confirm your account address so I can remit payment)
Which company do you use for shipping?
*Please include your full name and phone number with your response
Thank you,
Harald Moore
and this is the type of response I usually get.
Hi Harold,
The wiggley snake is 3 years old. I'm sure you'll be really happy with her - she eats great.
Jeff

The BoidSmith
04-17-2006, 09:11 AM
This is just me, but that type of response I suspect is highly correlated with age (as in "teenage" young)

hhmoore
04-17-2006, 09:46 AM
That is certainly an understandable conclusion...but not as often accurate as one might think. In fact, in some cases (as evidenced by website photos) these are people in their 30s and 40s.

Xelda
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
I know of one guy who will only answer inquiries if you provide him with your name, phone number, address, and a good time for him to call. A couple of years ago when I first contacted him, he only required a name and phone number, which I was okay with. However, things got suspicious when I realized I didn't have a real first or last name for this guy, he blocked his number from showing up on my caller ID every time he called (hence I didn't have his number), and I only had a vague idea of where he lived (i.e., he woke me up by calling past 11:00 at night so I figured he was in California).

He didn't apologize for waking me up and actually seemed surprised that I was asleep. :rolleyes: And the call wasn't even important. See, he had informed me from the beginning that the products I was interested in wouldn't be available until months later, so I didn't see the sense in him calling me nearly everyday to keep me updated.

There's actually more to the story: I was on my way out to a reptile show one morning, kind of in a hurry but he called and asked me to get on a chat room so he could show me a few pictures. Then he said he would "brb"--turns out he left to go grab a bite of breakfast--and I had to deal with his old friend hitting on me. :ack2: I didn't have the balls to leave because I didn't want to be rude so I was abhorred that HE was so rude.

In short, I decided to not do business with him anymore. I figured if I didn't return his calls, he would get the hint. Well, that backfired. He started calling me frantically up to four or five times a day at odd hours. Eventually he slowed down, but he would still throw me the occasional phone call randomly even a week or two later. I think it took a couple of months before I stopped receiving phone calls from him altogether. I didn't answer or return any of the phone calls because that was just too creepy. But it sure does make for a hilarious story because I am not making up any of this at all.

homegrownherps
04-17-2006, 03:30 PM
As a seller I don't have any problems answering questions. Even if they can find the answers on my website. The emails that I WILL NOT answer are the ones that are not signed (especially if they originate from at yahoo or hotmail addy). I feel if they can take the time to send me an email, they can take the time to sign their name, even if their automatic signature doesn't work :)

I also have no problem with offering up my full name and contact info either.