PDA

View Full Version : RA numbers for kingsnake color morphs-CA

GuinnyOne
06-23-2006, 08:26 PM
I've been trying to sell 3 of my striped cali kingsnakes and I had a girl contact me who was interested in them. But then she asked me if I had their RA numbers that were required in order to sell CA native species in California. Now 2 of these snakes I had shipped to me, but the other I purchased locally from the Lodi Serpentarium. I explained to her that these were STRIPED king morphs and not the BANDED b/w or brown/white california kingsnakes that are native.

So do I need RA numbers to sell these? Even though I purchased one of them from the Lodi Serpentarium without having an RA number? Just seems kind of odd. I know it is illegal to sell native wild-caught specimens...

Thanks, Kelly

reptilebreeder
06-23-2006, 09:17 PM
I've been trying to sell 3 of my striped cali kingsnakes and I had a girl contact me who was interested in them. But then she asked me if I had their RA numbers that were required in order to sell CA native species in California. Now 2 of these snakes I had shipped to me, but the other I purchased locally from the Lodi Serpentarium. I explained to her that these were STRIPED king morphs and not the BANDED b/w or brown/white california kingsnakes that are native.

So do I need RA numbers to sell these? Even though I purchased one of them from the Lodi Serpentarium without having an RA number? Just seems kind of odd. I know it is illegal to sell native wild-caught specimens...

Thanks, KellyTo be honest I'm not 100% sure when it comes to that point. If you are just some "normal" person who bought some CA kings as pets, say retail from a pet store, and now want to sell them, you probably could. If you are a breeder, it gets kind of sticky. The law states you need a permit to sell native species, so even in the first situation it may be technically illegal.
In addition 2 points to the ones you are trying to sell.
1. the law only exempts "albinos" described as lacking in black pigment AND having pink eyes. When I bred high whites, and bannana kings they are not exempt.
2. Striped CA kings are native to CA. They are a naturally occuring aberrant that you can catch in southern CA.

GuinnyOne
06-24-2006, 03:18 AM
Well, I'm definately not a breeder. I just wanted to sell these snakes that I purchased. So, for at least the one I purchased from the Lodi Serpentarium, should I have recieved an RA when I purchased this snake? Also, one of the snakes I purchased from out-of-state is an albino, and the other a chocolate phased stripe....

So I guess I can't sell these within the state? Shoot, the pet store I used to work at would buy banded cal kings from a supplier down south and sell them....guess that was illegal too unless the supplier also supplied our store with the RA number for each snake?

What is one to do?