PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting

ReptileEmpire
07-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Can anyone provide some feedback about their web hosting service? I have been searching for a decent provider, but I am curious who everyone else uses, and what kind of storage and bandwidth they provide.

Thanks for the help,
Casey D. Tevebaugh

Dachiu
07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
We had used our internet provider until the bandwidth charges hit us in the head... then switched to a Canadian provider. They were great concerning the overage - but their down-time and email delays were rough.

I have to say FaunaNet takes the cake where web site hosting is concerned. Managing a web site like ours is hard enough... But it's so nice that the server hasn't dropped off on us - we actually get notices for maintenance and upgrades, our site loads great with no delays on Fauna's end... CPANEL is as basic as possible and to top it off, its cleverly affordable!

Vickie

Mike Greathouse
07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I'll second that.
Over the years, I've used many services - large and small and none of them begin to compete with FaunaNet. The price is very competitive and the features exceed what you will find almost anywhere. The reliability is superb and Rich has always been very responsive to any questions.

Add this all up and there is no need to look anywhere else.

Clay Davenport
07-20-2006, 06:11 PM
I think I'm starting my fourth year with FaunaNet. I haven't had any problems or complaints at all, and Cpanel is a fantastic tool. I was hosted with k.com for a couple of years. I can't comment on their current package, but then all you basically got was 50MB of space and FTP access, not even a POP mail box just a forwarder.
I was thrilled with all the features when I came to FaunaNet, cpanel, POP mail, 4 times the server space, and all for less money that I was paying.

ReptileEmpire
07-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Has anyone used DOT5 hosting before? In the searches I've done they seem to have the best offers. 500 Gb bandwidth, and 10 Gb storage, for 4.95 a month with free setup and free domain name. I didn't realize that Rich had a webhosting service, I will definitely check that out.

Thanks again,
Casey

Rebel Dragons
07-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Never heard of DOT5. I use FaunaNet hosting and couldn't be happier. The price is right and the customer service is top notch. I really like the notifications for maintenance and upgrades and have experienced 0% down time that I know of.

shep151
08-24-2006, 03:18 AM
I can tell you definitely who to NOT use!

I used Netfirms for a few years and had no problems. When I first researched them, they were highly rated, and provided great service. Then I implemented a MySQL-intensive program, and ended up with crippling server errors. Each time an error was reported, I got alternating responses of "The problem has been fixed" and "We are experiencing extraordinary server usage, technicians will be upgrading shortly" for a month.

Based on a complete lack of service, and apparently insufficient resources to run a decent website, I recommend everyone stay away from Netfirms. :hot:

scalyskins
09-19-2006, 11:47 AM
I am a director of IT and Web Services for my full time job and I use to own/run a hosting and ISP business. If I can give one piece of advice it is this...

" Cheap is Cheap it does not matter if its shoes, cars, or web hosting...in life you get what you pay for."

In short don't use companies that claim amazingly high storage space along with incredible uptime garantee's for no money. They have to make a profit and they cut corners everywhere!

Mike