PDA

View Full Version : The BOI, just a guideline

The BoidSmith
08-05-2006, 08:40 AM
In reading at some posts it’s obvious some people feel that the BOI failed to alert them of sellers that might represent a threat to them. Some even think that the “good guy” status gave them a sense of security when purchasing from them. Just remember that although there are facts being presented there, there’s quite a dose of opinion. You can read for example “I wouldn’t doubt doing business with so and so because of the way he conducts himself in here”. Use the BOI as a guideline, not as the absolute truth. “Chances” are that if a seller has a lot of positive reviews he might be good to deal with. But chances also are that he could have built that reputation out of friends posting in his behalf. Always keep also in mind that years of experience and sustainability in the business amount to something (although this one has proven to be somewhat misleading also). But take a look also at the best gauge of them all…read between the lines. Maybe he has the most wonderful reviews, but take your time and analyze how he treats other people. It doesn’t matter who those people are. Anyone can show morals, values, and class without the need of been degrading, and disrespectful towards other individuals. Chances are that if he/she did it to them, given the opportunity, he/she will do it to you also.

Regards.

Mike Greathouse
08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Very good points, Dan.

When I am purchasing on Ebay or similar sites, I am most interested in the way the sellers respond to less then perfect feedback left for them. Very often, they will show their true colors when they have been presented with some adversity. All too often, you'll see sellers respond by attacking the purchaser.

In addition to what you have said, I would also add that the Trader Ratings on this site are another good source of information to help one formulate an opinion about a prospective purchase. That information is based directly on purchase experience and not opinion from uninvolved individuals.

Great post!