PDA

View Full Version : Mice Direct

SDBoa
09-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Has anyone bought any feeders from Mice Direct? Thanks.

SPJ
09-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I tried a few times. You need to send them the order info to get a total but they never responded.
I gave up and stuck with RodenPro.

matt rand
09-09-2006, 01:29 PM
they recently had a sale on rats and i ordered several hundred. $0.50 for weaned rats -- good deal, however, they were the size of most suppliers' rat pups and i thought they seemed underweight.

otherwise good service, came quickly, and all arrived frozen.

matt

jglass38
09-09-2006, 04:39 PM
I just got an order recently and everything was perfect. 100 weaned rats and 100 small rats and all in perfect condition and at the best prices I have found!

Scott Nellis
09-09-2006, 04:41 PM
They had a sale on medium rats, so I ordered a few hundred of them. They came UPS 3 day ground and were very well packed and still frozen solid. The size of the rats were consistant and they looked good. Customer service was great! They had a problem with the shipping costs being a lot more than what I was originally quoted, so we split the additional cost. Other than the high shipping costs (the order was over 200 lbs), I'm very pleased with the quality of the rodents. Now, if they vacuum packed everything, it would be even better!

Scott Nellis

Lucille
09-09-2006, 07:04 PM
I've been using Big Cheese but decided to try Mice Direct because their sale prices make the rodent cost very competitive. Big Cheese vacuum packs and puts the rodents on trays, Mice Direct puts them in bags and squishes out the air manually. I have had no freezer burn so far and my order was sent out promptly. Mice Direct is always running some sort of sale, it seems, so they are doing their best to be competitive, in a competitive market.

snakeman56
09-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I purchased several hundred weaned rats recently, during their sale. The box was misplaced by UPS and trying to get an answer from UPS was sorry. Well Mice Direct was very responsive and followed up with me to make sure I was satisfied with the order. The rats were frozen solid even thou it was shipped 3 day ground. There was even some dry ice still in the box. They packed the rats very well and I am satisfied with the product.

Tom Sierra

Chris Olson
09-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I switch back and forth from Rodent Pro to Mice Direct depending on who is out of the least number of products that I need. Mice Direct is VERY responsive and sincere about making sure you're happy with your order. I would like to use them more, but they are always out of stuff....

Chris

jnjreptile
09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
We have done a few orders with mice direct. We always receive the rodents right on time, frozen and great quality. We also place the order on line without any problems. They also have the best prices around. $0.08 per pink you cant go wrong. I would reccomend them to anyone. :D

J&J Reptiles :dgrin:

Joejr14
09-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm amazed that people are still buying RP product. I'm a firm believer that with feeders, you totally get what you pay for.

ambrosemurphy
09-11-2006, 12:54 AM
I placed my first order with Mice Direct about a month ago...prices were great...order came quickly and was packaged very well...happy with the sizing of mice...couldn't ask for much more...definitely will be a return customer! Have used Rodent Pro before and no real difference in product as far as I could see...plus MD's pricing is much lower especially for sale items and I got a much better price on shipping!

thomas davis
09-11-2006, 04:17 PM
i hate to be a killjoy :blowup: ,but i ordered from them, i got dirty rats and very poor packing that resulted in half my shipment being defrosted. prices were/are great A+,,, shipping price is rediculous C-,,, comunication C+,, quality of product B- ,,, packaging C-. it was my first order and had substatutions which is no real big deal as the numbers worked out in my favor, i have emailed them about my dissapointment, and will see what comes of it. i dont expect a refund as the fact is i have the feeders and will feed them, but as much as they advertise themselves as "the" feeder company i personally expected ALOT more.
,,,,,,,,,thomas davis

SevierSerpents
09-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Seemingly good item prices, but we can't justify spending triple the shipping charges of TMF.

- Liam Sevier

FloridaHogs
09-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Good and bad here. There product was frozen and shipping was great. However, their fuzzies are more like hoppers. And some of the adult mice were full of worms. The vet assured me that the worms would not affect my snakes, but it did cause them to regurge. Also found that several of the bags had cuts in them. Customer service was great though.

SPJ
09-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, I just placed my normal monthly order with them instead of Rodent Pro this time. Hopefully I didn't just blow a couple hundred dollars on bad feeders.

I have always been happy with Rodent Pro and this will be the "test" order with Mice Direct.

Let's hope the feeders were worth the order.

SPJ
09-11-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm amazed that people are still buying RP product. I'm a firm believer that with feeders, you totally get what you pay for.

I have been using rodent pro for years and have never gotten anything but quality feeders from them. I had one order in the past 5 years where the rat pups were smaller than I advertised. They immediately sent me new larger ones free of charge and said to keep the smaller ones.

Never had a problem.

Let's see how Mice Direct does.

rattler
09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I've been using Mice Direct for a while now. Just got a shipment of 1,700 mice and they were perfect. The prices are the best because they breed their own mice. Unlike other sources who have more overhead because they buy from many different labs. At least you don't have to worry about buying mice and rats with stitches and staples still in place. :thumbsup:

Lucille
09-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I have been using rodent pro for years and have never gotten anything but quality feeders from them. I had one order in the past 5 years where the rat pups were smaller than I advertised. They immediately sent me new larger ones free of charge and said to keep the smaller ones.

Never had a problem.

Let's see how Mice Direct does.

I considered Rodent Pro but their shipping is horribly expensive to me. I liked that Mice Direct sent 3 day ground so their shipping was relatively inexpensive, and even in the Texas heat the mice and rats were froze solid.

jglass38
09-12-2006, 10:34 PM
I have to amend my positive review of Mice Direct to including the following:

The weaned and small rats are extremely small. I am going to contact them about it but it seems that the smalls they sent are what everyone else considers weans.

SPJ
09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Oh man Jamie.
Not what I wanted to hear. Can you still use the feeders or are they just too small?

Here is how my order is going. :NoNo:

Order Number: 464
Date Ordered: Monday 11 September, 2006
Thank you for your order! The order is scheduled for shipment on Monday, Sept. 18th and according to UPS, should be delivered on Thursday. If you have additional questions, please let me know. We hope to remain your long-term supplier.

Sincerely,
Sherri Callaham
MiceDirect

It's going to take a week to actually ship the order and then it will be in transit for 4 days.
This is slower than when I order from Rodent Pro.
I hope they are still frozen and good quality.:ack2:

jglass38
09-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh man Jamie.
Not what I wanted to hear. Can you still use the feeders or are they just too small?

Here is how my order is going. :NoNo:

It's going to take a week to actually ship the order and then it will be in transit for 4 days.
This is slower than when I order from Rodent Pro.
I hope they are still frozen and good quality.:ack2:

They are usable. I wrote an email last night to Micedirect and within an hour they wrote back to me telling me they would make it right on my next order. The quality is still there and the packaging was excellent. They believe someone accidentally packed the wrong size. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Hope your order gets there as expected!

Jamie

jb916
09-14-2006, 04:18 AM
Good and bad here. There product was frozen and shipping was great. However, their fuzzies are more like hoppers. And some of the adult mice were full of worms. The vet assured me that the worms would not affect my snakes, but it did cause them to regurge. Also found that several of the bags had cuts in them. Customer service was great though.

That sucks! Did you check the rest of your feeders for worms? How many mice had them?

jb916
09-14-2006, 04:38 AM
I've been using Mice Direct for a while now. Just got a shipment of 1,700 mice and they were perfect. The prices are the best because they breed their own mice. Unlike other sources who have more overhead because they buy from many different labs. At least you don't have to worry about buying mice and rats with stitches and staples still in place. :thumbsup:

Which companies are selling surplus lab animals? I wouldn't want to feed those to my snakes.

rattler
09-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Which companies are selling surplus lab animals? I wouldn't want to feed those to my snakes.

Taconic farms and RodentPro were two that have been mentioned. Check with RodentPro to verify this.

rattler
09-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Taconic farms and RodentPro were two that have been mentioned. Check with RodentPro to verify this.

I forgot to say that I have never had a problem with RodentPro's mice and never had any bad looking ones either but I was told that they buy their mice from labs. Taconic farms in NY is where I received rats and mice that had been through some kind of surgery.

jnjreptile
09-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Just received another order form mice direct. Frozen solid, great quality and packaging. You cant get any better with them. Great quality rodents for a cheap cheap price. :thumbsup:

J&J Reptiles.

SDBoa
09-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Well I just got my two shipments, one from Mice Direct and one from Rodent Pro. I'm happy with both places and will continue to use both to find the best deal or whoever has what I need in stock. I found MiceDirect had the better packaging. Their shipment came in a insulated cooler inside the box with allot of dry ice. Rodent Pro had some insulation wrapped around the rodent with pieces of dry ice thrown in placed inside a box. Like I said, I'm pleased with both and will still use both. I've noticed allot of people complaining about size, etc and shipping price. I was charged the same amount for shipping from both places. I think this is pretty much standard. As size goes, the only true way to get the right size rodent would be to selective breed the rodents yourself. For dirtiness, there has never been an occasion when the rodents don't come with some sort of feces or wood shavings in the bag. For those who breed rodents, they know how smelly and vicious they are. I also find it amazing when people say. "Oh, look what a cute little mouse and how could you feed it to something". Only if they knew the older mice will kill the babies, they eat each other, especially the brain, etc. As far as worms or parasites go, the only way possible to get around it would be to breed your own. Remember most animals, including humans, will have some sort of amoeba, parasite, bacteria, etc occurring naturally in them. All in all I'm happy and would recommend both places to anyone.

Joejr14
09-17-2006, 07:14 PM
...I'm at a loss.

I got one order of mice and rats from RP and it was disgusting. I didn't even bring it up until much later partly because I just didn't 'know' any better, and Kevin did refund me 100%. However, the mice and rats were covered in feces, bedding, and stunk like urine. Limbs had fallen off most all of the fuzzies and pinkies and the blame was placed on the dry ice.

I don't care what anyone says---you get what you pay for when you buy feeders. If you think RP has acceptable product---well, best of luck to you.

I'll stick with BCRF or TMF. I'd rather spend the extra money knowing I'm getting a good product free of bedding, worms, feces, urine, etc etc. My snakes deserve that much.

SPJ
09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Well it got shipped today. Not yesterday like they said it would.
09/19/2006 Shipped
It was scheduled to go out yesterday and arrive Thursday. Now that it has been delayed a day, I can only hope it arrive Friday because if it doesn't, it will end up sitting over the weekend before they deliver on Monday.

They are not impressing me.

A long time to fill and ship the order and then a long time in transit.

SPJ
09-21-2006, 07:31 PM
I have to amend my positive review of Mice Direct to including the following:

The weaned and small rats are extremely small. I am going to contact them about it but it seems that the smalls they sent are what everyone else considers weans.

Have to agree with you Jamie. I just received my order. Everything was still frozen solid which was great but the rat pups and fuzzies are a lot smaller than I am used to. They look fine though and these pigs will end up eating 2 at a time to make up for the size so that part of my order is OK.

The adult mice on the other hand did not make me happy. I am used to seeing bright white, clean adult mice.
These have crap stuck to them and a lot are are dirty looking. They look as if they have pee on the fur (some have a yellow tint and others have a greyish tint). Some are nice looking but the majority are not what I would buy if I saw them in person. Not at all what I want to be feeding normal BP's much less morphs.

I don't know about the rest of the MD customers but this is the last order they will get from me. I have never gotten dirty feeders from RP. This may be a fluke but the long processing time, the long transit time, and the condition of the adult mice turned me off from their company.

rattler
09-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I've gotten the "dirty" mice from both companies. The mouse size variation from both also. So the tie breaker for me is the price. :thumbsup:

OriginReptiles
09-22-2006, 02:38 AM
I have had nothing but problems with Mice Direct, mostly due to shipping! Mice and Rats were decent sized and quality was good, but 2 times the order arrived unfrozen and stinky because "Somebody" forgot to ship 3 day. I will NOT be using them in the future.

Clay Davenport
09-22-2006, 05:39 AM
I just received an order from Mice Direct and I am very satisfied with what I got.
I only ordered pinkies however, and it's harder to mess those up I suppose.
I placed my order on Tuesday night and they arrived on Thursday afternoon.
I do live relatively close to them. The order was for 2000 pinks and the shipping was 2/3 of what RP normally charged me.

I also wanted to mention something on the subject of dirty feeders. You can easily get mice with urine or feces on them from any supplier. During euthanization the body will evacuate all waste, and while the feces could be removed I suppose, there's not much you can do about the urine.
Having bedding in the bag with them is what makes me consider them dirty. Urine and a degree of feces will happen when you gas 50 or 100 in one container.

Chris Olson
09-22-2006, 07:01 AM
I have had nothing but problems with Mice Direct, mostly due to shipping! Mice and Rats were decent sized and quality was good, but 2 times the order arrived unfrozen and stinky because "Somebody" forgot to ship 3 day. I will NOT be using them in the future.

I can definitely understand why that would upset you. Did you call them? I know from my experience, Mice Direct treats issues like this with urgency. For that matter, so does Rodent Pro in my experience.

Chris

SPJ
09-23-2006, 12:05 AM
I also wanted to mention something on the subject of dirty feeders. You can easily get mice with urine or feces on them from any supplier. During euthanization the body will evacuate all waste, and while the feces could be removed I suppose, there's not much you can do about the urine.
Having bedding in the bag with them is what makes me consider them dirty. Urine and a degree of feces will happen when you gas 50 or 100 in one container.

Clay,

These are filthy and when the bag is opened, they STINK.

I have never gotten anything like this from RP and am not happey at all about getting this from MD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/SPJ01/DSCF0010-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/SPJ01/DSCF0009-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/SPJ01/DSCF0011-1.jpg

OriginReptiles
09-23-2006, 02:18 AM
I can definitely understand why that would upset you. Did you call them? I know from my experience, Mice Direct treats issues like this with urgency. For that matter, so does Rodent Pro in my experience.

Chris

Chris, I definitely spoke to them on both occasions and eventually all was made good. I am not the kind of guy to just let things go!

I am looking for a local supplier, in California or Arizona, that can get me feeders on time and for less shipping than Mice Direct. Until then I will go back to Rodent Pro or Big Cheese.

Scott - Origin Reptiles

Joejr14
09-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Like I said, you get what you pay for.

varnyard
09-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Well they say a picture speaks a thousand words, enough said. :( :rolleyes:

Clay Davenport
09-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Clay,

These are filthy and when the bag is opened, they STINK.

I have never gotten anything like this from RP and am not happey at all about getting this from MD.

Well, those do look pretty nasty. As I said I only ordered pinks from MD and it's kind of hard to mess those up. I almost never buy rodents anymore since I raise more than I need. I recommend anyone who has the capability to do that as well, it's the only way you'll always be satisfied with your feeders.

ARKON
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I just ordered from Mice direct this week, their shipping was fast and the pack job was incredible!!!! The mice were perfect size, very clean (No shavings or rat feces) they were very plump, did not smell and had no freezer burn. They came in a cooler with dry ice and were still frozen solid. This was the first time I ordered frozen mice on-line and will be more than happy to use Mice Direct again as they seem to be a great company to buy feeders from.
I was buying the prepackaged Gourmet Rodents from Petco but the expense was killing me!!! I am glad I gave these guys a try. Thank you Mice Direct!!!!!!!!!

Nirvana
03-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I just got an order from Mice Direct, and I'd say I'm pretty happy with them. The large rats look LARGE, and the smalls are a good size. Everything is still frozen solid, which is good. The rats seem pretty clean as well; no pee or shavings on them. I haven't thawed anything out yet, so I guess I can't say for sure if the rats will be stinky... So far so good though.

John Albrecht
04-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I get a lot of my mice from MiceDirect. But I admit that the only reason I do it is because of price. I prefer TheMouseFactory by a long shot but their prices are just not feasible for me anymore.

After using MD for a while now I have to say that I think the quality is pretty low. I've been wondering if it's because I'm a small timer and only pick up a few hundred at a time. The bags come ripped and the animals are usually filthy. They seem to have trouble getting me the size fuzzies and pinks I order but I've still been able to use them anyway. I didnt' even think of the worm stuff until someone brought it up here... At least the stuff arrives on time.

What I really want is TMF quality at MD prices.

-John Albrecht

Susan S.
04-02-2007, 09:19 PM
"After using MD for a while now I have to say that I think the quality is pretty low. I've been wondering if it's because I'm a small timer and only pick up a few hundred at a time. The bags come ripped and the animals are usually filthy. They seem to have trouble getting me the size fuzzies and pinks I order but I've still been able to use them anyway. I didnt' even think of the worm stuff until someone brought it up here... At least the stuff arrives on time."

Bags come ripped...and the animals are usually filthy??? How could anyone be accepting of such an order? I don't buy any rodents as I raise my own here. But I do often put down excess quantities of all sizes of rats and mice with CO2 gas and bag them up with a vacuum sealer to sell to friends. I prepare them in precisely the same way I would want to receive them. I pick out the feces and even sometimes wipe the butts off because that is what I would want.....clean! Granted, I am not providing a huge quantity to folks across the country, but I absolutely WOULD NOT accept what was described above. I would be on the phone talking with someone the moment I discovered that. Perhaps few complain and MD gets away with selling in this manner. I would not let them treat me that way and if they refuse to rectify the situation, it would be the last time they heard from me.

You are feeding your animals with these "filthy, feces encrusted" rodents.....do you really want to do that? And, OMG....worms???? I cannot believe that anyone would accept a product with all of these shortcomings.
You all have a right to receive the quality product they SAY they will provide you with.....demand it!

Susan Sentman
SSNAKES Reptiles
www.ssnakes.com

SPJ
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM
You are feeding your animals with these "filthy, feces encrusted" rodents.....do you really want to do that? And, OMG....worms???? I cannot believe that anyone would accept a product with all of these shortcomings.
You all have a right to receive the quality product they SAY they will provide you with.....demand it!

Susan Sentman
SSNAKES Reptiles
www.ssnakes.com

I didn't. I threw out the order. It was disgusting. I was able to get some money back from them for some of it, but in the end, I lost the money for shipping and part of the order.

I will NEVER do business with them again.

The disgusting feeders they sent me were totally unacceptable.

Bill Galloway
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
"What I really want is TMF quality at MD prices."

You get what you pay for.

SPJ
04-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Not really.
The feeders from Mice Direct aren't even worth the prices they charge.

They are disgusting and unuseable.

rattler
04-04-2007, 07:28 PM
They must not like you guys. lol. I've never received any feces encrusted mice or poor quality mice at all. I also use Rodent Pro from time to time and they are equally the same except for price. :shrug01:

jglass38
06-14-2007, 09:07 AM
I just got my second order from Mice Direct. I generally order from Big Cheese but I wanted to give Mice Direct a try. The first order was unsatisfactory. The small rats were barely wean size. I chalked it up to a mistake on their end and they promised to discount me on the next order. I gave them another chance and the rodents I got were ok. I ordered 2 bags of adult mice and a bag of rat pinks. Not the best quality mice I have ever seen but again, ok. I think I am making the mistake of comparing them to Big Cheese which in my opinion are the best quality frozen rodents out there. Perfection every single time. Take it as you will!

rabernet
06-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Being that I am somewhat local to Mice Direct, another herper local to me was making a run to Mice Direct to pick up live mice and rats and asked if I'd like some mice. At $1 less per head than what I pay at the pet store, I had him pick up 25 and did ask for all female (as this was going to be 2 week's supply and I really wasn't interested in unexpected litters and wanted to cut down on the smell by not having males marking territories).

I am very pleased with the quality of the mice - in great condition and health and no fights amongst the ladies. I won't hesitate to take this herper up on another offer to pick up more live mice from Mice Direct for me.

Pythons Rock
06-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I have had 1 dealing with Mice direct. I made and paid for the order. They later called me and I was told the shipping charge was incorrect it was a lot higher than the quote I got and paid for. They gave me the option of paying the extra shipping or canceling the order for a full refund. The shipping was double the quote so I opted to cancel the order. They apologized greatly and promptly refunded my money in full within two days. I feel this is an honest business that cares for it's customers. They took the time to let me know what was going on and made a prompt refund when asked. That is super service and great business quality IMO. :thumbsup:

Rakshasanyc
08-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I just received a shipment of rats in various sizes for my snakes in various sizes. The feeders are clean and nicely sized: I have no complaints and will probably use them again.

Mike DeBruce
08-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I have only used them twice and I was pleased both times. I don't live to far from them so I make the 1 hour drive and pick out my own bags of frozen rats. The guys are very nice and their rats are very cheap. Mike

ARKON
08-13-2007, 05:57 PM
I ordered from mice direct again, a bigger order and larger sized mice!!!!!!!!! They came frozen solid and all seem to be about the same size!!!! Just like last time no shaving, feces or frozen urine, no bad smell either just good clean mice. These mice also appeared very white without the greasy look so many of these frozen mice seem to have. I think I am going to stick with Mice Direct from now on, there shipping is 2-3 days and the mice are great!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again Mice Direct!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jkobylka
08-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I live only 20 miles from Mice Direct. I have no affiliation with them nor are they my friends.

I visited their facility about a month ago and it is top notch, super clean and healthy animals.

They went through some issues at their previous facility with the local city and now they have moved I think that most the issues that affected their customers should now be removed.

Justin

J. Kobylka Reptiles
www.jkobylkareptiles.com

dsirkle
01-11-2008, 01:26 AM
I ordered 100 weanling rats on Dec 30 2007 at 68 cents apiece before shipping. With shipping they were $1.10 apiece. Two days later the price had increased to 80 cents apiece. So far so good. The order arrived thoroughly frozen. One of the two bags had split open. A significant amount of feces was in one bag. My previous rats had come from Big Cheese and were uniform sized rat pups that were vacuum packed and very clean.The weanling rats from mice direct were for the most part the same size as rat pups from big cheese with many smaller than that and only a few that were bigger. I had ordered at the lowest price that I could find but will not order from them again.

Suncoast Herpetological
11-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone know if this company is still around? Their website seems to be gone

HopingForBabies
11-05-2008, 08:09 PM
https://micedirect.com/

It is still up. I have done business with them in the past and had no problems. Thier shipping was cheaper than most others. The last time I ordered feeders,I went with someone else because they were sold out and regreted it.

Suncoast Herpetological
11-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks David. I have been unable to get the site to come up for a couple of days