PDA

View Full Version : What to fill it with...

droogievesch
10-04-2006, 01:56 AM
I have one shelf on my snake rack that is looking to get filled. I am considering a few things:

1.) Normal female. I just spent a bunch of money on het hypos and a pastel het hypo...a nice normal female hatchling would be a "cheap" investment for future dominant morph breeding.

2.) A breeding pair of leopard geckos. I never kept them, but I'm getting antsy for eggs...of any kind! I already own cresties, and leopards are also a nice beginner gecko. They would be kept on the lowest rack so they wouldn't overheat or anything.

3.) A breeding pair of cresties. Loop hole would be I technically don't need them in my rack since they don't need any extra heat. Since I already own 5 juvies I have the knowledge on their care already, plus their eggs won't require an incubator (see above...I want eggs!). However, they will be a bit more expensive than the above options.

4.) A milksnake. I am in the process of buying one now (a tangerine dream from Bill Love's line). However, I should probably just keep one as a pet only and not insist on breeding everything I own! (Reptiles are like potato chips, no matter how many times you say you'll only have one you end up with a handful). I probably shouldn't go with this for many reasons: I have yet to actually care for one (recieving mine shortly) and I know nothing about morphs, so any investment will be an ill advised investment. The only reason I can afford to buy the milksnake I'm going to is because she's a retired breeder and the guy works here on campus and knows how addicting snakes are (he's like a crack dealer, he'll give me my first taste cheap and once he has me hooked then I keep coming back for more and more). That's how it happened with my balls (25 dollar normal hatchling last year, and now almost 1,500 invested this year).

Just thought I'd procrastinate on studying for tomorrow's exam and see what everyone thinks. I am personally leaning towards a breeding pair of cresties and possibly 2 hatchling females. I may be able to go to Tinley this weekend, so I'm getting excited, otherwise I know I'll be saving up for a local show (the Monona show in Wisconsin in November).

Sorry for posting so much, I must have gotten bit by some bug :)

Jenna

Mooing Tricycle
10-04-2006, 10:30 AM
A normal female would be a great addition to any collection of snakes, in my opinion! somtimes normals can be pretty nice looking snakes too, it all just depends on who you get them from.

droogievesch
10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
yea,

I just realized my hatchlings do grow though, so while I can fit 2 on one shelf now I wil be needing to move them to 1 per shelf. I could just leave that shelf empty knowing that one of my hatchlings will be there eventually, or I could fill it and buy another rack (and thus need to fill that one too!) Darn these addictions!

Mooing Tricycle
10-04-2006, 11:01 AM
oh i totally understand. Im considering either getting a rack or building one. they dont seem too hard to make, so i could do something if i wanted to.

its a pain to see all these cool animals, and just not having the space to put them! ( and somtimes the money too... :P)

LadyOhh
10-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey, I have a pair of Leopards if you want them!! :)

But I would go with Ball normals, cause I am all about the Balls.. That's just a personal choice so far.. Maybe later I will branch out, but for now.. I'm good :)

droogievesch
10-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey, I have a pair of Leopards if you want them!! :)

But I would go with Ball normals, cause I am all about the Balls.. That's just a personal choice so far.. Maybe later I will branch out, but for now.. I'm good :)

Thanks, but I was planning on picking up whatever animal(s) I was getting to avoid the shipping fee. And since I know close to nothing about Leopards (Bell, Tremper, Las Vegas...they all look the same to me! So why can't I breed a Bell line to a Tremper line? Turns out it's a no-no because lines are to stay lines-not squibbles). So to make a long story short I'm going to need some one on one help with them. My other big problem with them is I like the blizzards, so I need to get a certain kind so I can breed those and then breed the offspring for the off chance I'll get a blizzard. It's so confusing...balls are so much easier to understand!

LadyOhh
10-04-2006, 05:28 PM
hahahah!!!

Actually, when you get into the complicated stuff, it really isn't..

You just need to put the time in and learn it. :) Good luck!

droogievesch
10-04-2006, 05:37 PM
I completely understand it not being complicated, I just am a visual learner and goal oriented, so I need somebody to put them in front of me and show me what makes what. Or else I need a goal (like blizzards) and then break it down into what I need to get to that goal. MAYBE I should stick with what I know before confusing the crap out of myself and having squibbly lined adorable lizards on the market.