10-09-2006, 06:57 PM
A quick pic for educational purposes.

http://www.serpentsfire.com/Oct0906goomouthrs.jpg

hhmoore
10-09-2006, 07:30 PM
That certainly isn't new onset.

Melinda
10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
The more I look at this fella, the more I doubt his chances of living. He is so weak. He does have a dose of Baytril and hydrolife in him. I got his mouth cleaned out and it looks much much better. The lady that owns him says he ate a live small rat 2 weeks ago.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this little fella makes it.

droogievesch
10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I've heard of mouth rot, but what exactly causes it? I know being kept on wet substrate for long periods of time can cause scale rot...

Seeing this stuff makes me paranoid and gives me the urge to thoroughly check out all of my own animals!

FireStorm
10-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Yuck! Poor little guy :( .

hhmoore
10-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Mouthrot, aka infectious stomatitis, is usually a secondary infection (basically meaning it is a symptom of a different infection). It can however be a primary infection (the initial source) - this would usually be attributed to an injury of some sort.

Melinda
10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Little Goo did not make it. He was a friends and I did see him a few weeks ago, but did not check his mouth. I'm really regretting not checking his mouth now. I just feel weird holding someone else's snake and saying "mind if I check his mouth" Know what I mean??

Mouth Rot is basically a bacterial infection with many causes which include mouth injuries, respiratory infections etc... Keep the enclosures clean, feed dead to avoid possible mouth injuries and if your snake looks the tiniest bit off, see the vet or someone who knows what they are doing.

Leighanne
10-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Thank You VERY much. That was educational. I can't remember if I've seen that before or not. Now my question is how do you get its mouth open??? I don't know. My Ball Python Lickity is very...to calm about her head being touched and stuff. Shes very sweet tempered. My Corn Snake Jakers however hates it. He won't let you come near his head without jerking away. Thanks again for the picture, and I'm really sorry that poor little guy died. Thats really unfortunate. :(

LadyOhh
10-10-2006, 01:56 AM
RIP Goo..

ldydrgn
10-10-2006, 02:29 AM
I am sorry for your loss. :(

Usually when we have snakes come in with ANY kind of infection they go straight to the vet for tissue and saliva samples. Some antibiotics may not be effective against certain bacteria.

Baytril may not have been the best choice for such a young animal. I would have gone with Fortaz or Claforan as they are not nearly as hard on the systems of snakes, young or otherwise. Although, Baytril IS effective against at least one bacteria (that I know of) that is unresponsive to most other antibiotics. Whenever we have to give Baytril we always ask for the oral, not the injectible. Sometimes the treatment must include two different antibiotics as well as rinsing the mouth out with diluted Virosan..."hitting it from both ends" you might say.

Just a little info for anyone who may run across this problem in the future. :)

Melinda
10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Michelle, Thanks for the info.

Please, everyone don't go running to your snake to check it's mouth. You can injure the snakes mouth if not done correctly and actually cause the mouth rot. Watch your snake for any health issues and get them to a vet if they "don't seem right" You can also watch for mouth rot by getting a peek inside the mouths while they feed. Also, if the lips seem puffy or the snake is not closing their mouths normally, get to the Vet.

And as usual, clean clean clean enclosures. Don't give bacteria a place to set up and attack your reptile.

ldydrgn
10-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Very sound advice indeed, Melinda. :)