PDA

View Full Version : Good news and questions about Lickity. :)

Leighanne
10-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Well, the good news is shes going to the Vet this Friday at 3:00. The bad news is the Vet is going to end up shoving me out the door for asking to many questions! lol I have a friend who is good enough to take me farther away. The Vet that was the closest died and they haven't replaced him yet.

I didn't know the guy but my friend cried and was really upset because she said he saved her Rat Violet's life. He operated on a mammary tumor she had. Sad part is after $600.00 dollars the Rat has another one.

I am so excited about going though since this situation is more reliable then my last one. Alright now..I'm getting tired. Blah. My question about Lickity is what to do about her eating problem so far? Situation is when I bought her from PetCo they said she was eating one adult mouse a week, every Friday. I didn't have them feed her because she was opaque. Oh, I forgot they said they only feed her pre frozen. I have tried twice so far. The first Friday home she was getting accustomed and I had put her through the cotton ball attack because of her shedding. The second time we thawed one out dried it off so it wasn't sopping wet and dangled it. Yes I have tongs. We've done it both ways. She wouldn't take it so we cut it open, nothing. I have heard of a few tricks I haven't done yet. Such as washing it with soap and water, chicken broth, and decapitating it. Is there anything else I am forgetting?? Its only been two weeks and it is October.

I'm not to freaked out. Thank God. I'm such a worry wart. I was going to try the other three this week before the Vet so hopefully I can get a fecal.

I would prefer for her to eat pre frozen. I said prefer, but that does not mean I won't feed her live. I like pre frozen better anyway, especially after reading the mouth rot post and hearing about injuries to the mouth and mice having nails. It doesn't have to be dead in the mouth. There was that story about the Ball Python eating an Alligator and getting ripped open, so a mouse could scratch. Then there was the conversation I had tonite with another Herp Keeper friend I have and I had to educate even him on heating tonite.

We were talking and he asked "Aren't you supposed to keep the Mouses nails clipped?" Thats true but I hadn't thought about it, what a pain in the butt. Maybe the Pet store can do it before I took them home? lol

I feel like not a lot of people really do care. If they did they'd join a forum. They'd do whatever. He was talking about using a water bed heating pad with Thermostat on it for his Tokay Gecko. I told him what I know. Back to Lickity though. Its funny, but I wouldn't know the first thing about keeping feeder mice. A little I guess from having two pet Rats, buh. I donno. I don't want to keep the darn things. I don't know yet if Lickity is an aggressive eater or if she will run from the Mouse and be shy. If I bought just one to try and she didn't eat it then what would I do with it?? Wait..I have some acquittance's that have a Ball that offered me mice. Maybe, just maybe I could get them to bring one down and then take it back if she doesn't want it. At least if she turns out healthy. Eh. How do you guys keep live Mice???

Also, for those of you who keep your Balls in rubbermaids outside of rack systems. How do you keep them locked in well. Shes wiggled out a spot she found and clamps won't work. I have been thinking about this one.

This could all just be seasonal appetite to. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank You! :)

hhmoore
10-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Forget the decapitation crap, and the cutting it open...put the chicken broth on a back burner, and use the soap on your hands (not the mice. that is mainly to get rid the original smell so you can "scent" it with something else). There are two things you should do before trying anything else - now that you have the temperature thing more or less squared away. #1) Leave her alone. Don't handle her any more than is necessary - which means only to the extent needed to clean her cage, and that only if it needs to be done. Once she is eating regularly, you can start handling her again. #2) make sure the mouse is warm/hot when you offer it. I also defrost feeders in water but, with the picky ones, before feeding I dump the water and add fresh HOT water. Let the mouse soak for about 5 minutes, take it out with the tongs, give it a shake to get rid of the worst of the water, and offer it (a quick blotting with a paper towel is ok, as long as the mouse is still hot when you present it). Given everything to date, I am not surprised she has not eaten; but you may have to use live to get her going again. Once she has taken a few meals, though, you can try to go back to f/t.
Keeping them in sterilites - close fitting shelves work best, but depending on where you have it there are other options. I am not much a fan of the stacking things on top of the box, but I admit to doing it occasionally. Ideally, something flat that will distribute weight evenly across the top.
I am sure I missed some of your questions, but I have to run (busy, busy)