PDA

View Full Version : Iris CB70 tub vs Sterilite 41 qt (39L) What is your preference & why?

Jon Range
10-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I notice that some less expensive rack systems use the Iris CB70 measuring 17.75" x 33.5" x 6" at a price of around $11.00. The Sterilite 41qt (39L) is 34.75" x 16.5" x 6" at a price of $7.00.

I am wondering if this is a case of you get what you pay for, or because wal-mart and target can just sell them cheaper. I cant really believe the little differecne in size would make a user difference. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your input

cahrens
10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I use the 41qt sterilite tubs in a rack I built. I couldn't be happier with them. They're smooth on the whole inside and easy to clean. No corners that are hard to get into and clean. Even the urates don't stick. As you mentioned, they're much cheaper as well. Don't forget to add in shipping costs to the price which is not cheap.

jglass38
10-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Iris blow away Sterilite as far as quality. Yes, they are more expensive but for good reason. They will last you WAY long.

LadyOhh
10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Iris are much more durable, and do not have any grooves that the Sterilite tend to have. Now I haven't used the Sterlite 41 qt yet, so I can't compare those, but I know Iris has thicker plastic that does not tend to warp like Sterilite does, and I have the shoebox and sweaterbox sizes that have done that.

twh49801
10-10-2006, 08:41 PM
i too use the 41 qt. sterilites,i can get them on sale for $5.00 each.they have slanted sides so the floor length is only about 30".also they are appox. the same height as the 27 and 12 qt. tubs so they can be used in the same opening.the iris tubs are hard to find in my area.

icyshadowz
05-05-2010, 05:31 PM
i found this site they are not to bad for shipping and the price is cheaper http://www.usphome.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=34536&product_id=34563 theres alot more stuff here too

TripleMoonsExotic
05-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I was told by a rack manufacturer that that reason they choose Iris is because they don't change the dimensions/styles every couple years like Sterilite does.

Problem is, the rack I bought, the tubs are nearly 1/2 the price of the actual rack...So in reality, didn't really save any money but not going with someone like AP.

R. Eventide
05-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I use 41qt Sterilite. They've all worked fine for me. Granted, I haven't had them too long (maximum of a year, maybe?), but I haven't had any problems. I've never tried the Iris tubs, so I can't really say anything about them.

I do know that Rubbermaid, Sterilite, etc., as someone else mentioned, tend to change their products every now and then. I don't know how much the 41 qt. have changed. The only change that would be a huge problem is tub depth. *shrug* If you have a rack that is not adjustable (mine are), then I'd probably get the Isis tubs since you know they probably won't ever change.

steve671
06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Sorry to bring up such an old post, but are either of the tubs mentioned in this thread smooth and flat on the bottom?
Thanks,
Steve

Araidia
06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
The sterlites have a grove on the bottom inside and the bottom outside is raised a bit. The iris cb 70 i believe is flat on the inside but has some grooves on the outside of the bottom. I just got some vision v-70's, same size as the iris cb 70's but completely flat on inside and outside of the bottom, and thicker than sterlite too.

steve671
06-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Thank you. I was also going to get the V-70's as well and thought these may be a cheaper alternative. I'll stick with the V-70.
Thanks,
Steve

TexasVipRoom
06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I like the iris ones better. I have used both and have switched a couple times. First I started with the sterilite ones. When you have a very small rack or not much to clean these will work. Once I grew I realized they were taking a lot of my time to clean so I switched to the IRIS containers and these were great. My issue with both is that I was using a 3" pvc coupling and a disposable water dish in them so cleaning would be better. Next issue the water was getting tipped and I was cleaning after I already cleaned. I have now switched to Freedom breeder bins and these are AWESOME. They are 15.00 a piece I believe and well well well worth it. I have not been more pleased. I have been able to utilize my time to enjoy my snakes and not cleaning up after them.

steve671
06-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Danny thanks for the input. I read that the integrated water cup holder is too far to the rear on the Freedom breeder bins. Is this not the case?

Shadera
06-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I've tried Sterilite. I've tried Iris. My tub of choice in that size is the ARS 70-series in semi clear with cupholder. Smooth and flat, and heavy duty like you wouldn't believe. Tossed all my other CB70 tubs but these.

steve671
06-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I've tried Sterilite. I've tried Iris. My tub of choice in that size is the ARS 70-series in semi clear with cupholder. Smooth and flat, and heavy duty like you wouldn't believe. Tossed all my other CB70 tubs but these.

Those look nice. The water holder is appropriately toward the front.
Why semi-clear?

TexasVipRoom
06-04-2013, 03:44 PM
the water bin is on one side od the bin so you can put the bin in the rack on the far side or near the front. i keep all mine on the cool end which is right at the front when you open them up. I would belly up for ars or freedom breeder do it once and be done. Trust me I have spent money on the other but guess what I then turned around and spent more on the right ones. soo all in all i would have saved a lot of money if I would have just got the best from the start. I wouldnt go to anything else.

Shadera
06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Those look nice. The water holder is appropriately toward the front.
Why semi-clear?

Why not? I use enclosed racks, and have always liked clear or semi clear tubs so that I can peek in if need be without opening the tubs and disturbing the animal.

the water bin is on one side od the bin so you can put the bin in the rack on the far side or near the front. i keep all mine on the cool end which is right at the front when you open them up. I would belly up for ars or freedom breeder do it once and be done. Trust me I have spent money on the other but guess what I then turned around and spent more on the right ones. soo all in all i would have saved a lot of money if I would have just got the best from the start. I wouldnt go to anything else.

Amen. It stings, but it's worth the money. I just ordered some tubs from ARS for the rat racks today and anticipate not having to replace them for a looooong time.