PDA

View Full Version : Rescued BP

Imdancerd
10-10-2006, 11:11 PM
A friend of mine called me about a week ago because one of his customers found a Ball Python outside of his office building (this is in NC...not exactly a place where you just find a BP) and brought it into his store hoping he could find a home for it. I love snakes, so he called me to see if I wanted to take the little lady (I think a lady, judging by the tail and the seeming lack of anal spurs) and I did.

I have a few questions regarding what I should do now. I have a corn snake and have never owned a ball before. How do I tell if she has mites? She seems like she's had a difficult shed recently so I'm going to try raising the humidity in the tank to see if it will help her slough some of that old skin off. I also have no way of knowing, well, anything about her history. Should I try feeding her F/T mice? Or live? I don't know if she ate when she was outside, when the last time she ate was, or even how long she was outside for. She was obviously someone's pet that they either lost or 'liberated', because she's very sweet tempered, but no luck on locating an owner thus far.

She has already defecated in the tank on the astroturf (by the way, is that suitable for a BP or should I use something different?), so should I just scrape some of that off for the vet? I'm calling tomarrow to see about making an appt. for her. I would love any advice you guys would be willing to give on this. :) I care a lot about getting her healthy and happy and the whole community on here seems very helpful.

I am also taking precautions to not spread anything that she might have to Sethra (my corn). Any extra advice other than using hand sanitizers after handling either of them?

LadyOhh
10-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Quarantine procedures should be followed for any strange snake.

You can't tell the sex of a ball python by the spurs. You need to probe or pop, but if you go to a vet, they may be able to help you sex it. (Depending)

You can feed her anything and just try to see what she likes. If you can, switch her to rats, its just a cheaper option, if that is a possibility.

Get a fecal done, keep her in quarantine, and have fun! :) They are great animals!!

darkbloodwyvern
10-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Quarantine her for at least a month, and up to six months if you can- separate rooms, wash hands, don't share anything that they will come in contact with.
Give her a week or two to settle in-no handling, unless you are cleaning the cage.
Stool samples have to be REALLY fresh, so if it's dried out, don't bother taking it in. If she poops again, grab what you can in a plastic zip-lock and stick in the the fridge until you can get it to the vet's. (i'd advise labeling it too).
Skin- I have found soaking in very lukewarm water an effective way to help get rid of old sheds. Or you can stick her in a pillowcaser that is damp, not soaking for an hour or two (make sure she doesn't get too cold) and you can help her peel off the newly moistened skin. This is the only way to get all the extra skin off my male because he refuses to soak himself.

I would start with frozen stuff- get a mouse and a small rat and see which she seems to like better. depending on her size, she may prefer larger or smaller food.

my frozen feeding balls are terrified of live animals, hee. Just heat them up in some warm water and wriggle about on hemostadts. My female prefers them "running away" from her, although sometimes she will just take it if i offer it to her without any jiggling.

Good Luck! sounds like she will be getting a great new home! :D