PDA

View Full Version : Ball Morph Market

High End Herps Inc
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone can lend some acurate insight on how the ball morph market is currently faring. I am considering investing in some of the nicer looking ball morphs now that the prices are dropping so fast. I have heard a rumor that the big ball breeders are accepting less than half what their advertised prices are listed for. Is this acurate?

Thanks,
Tawni Beauchemin

Mooing Tricycle
10-11-2006, 10:15 PM
If youre going to invest. go for Recessive traits. Things like Axanthics and Albinos should hold their ground pretty well in the market, even with prices getting lower and lower.
im not that experienced with these things still, but from what ive learned these two should hold their ground the longest, im sure there are others too. ( anyone feel free to correct me if im horrendously wrong, but be nice! :P )

that, and just normal females are always a good bet. Everyone always needs a good female for any breeding projects!

droogievesch
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Prices will drop the longer a morph is on the market; however, new morphs are produced every year and they are expensive. About big name breeders dropping their prices in half, I'm not sure if this is true...but if you're investing in morphs that leads me to assume you want to breed them someday and slashing the prices isn't the best way to make an investment. I would either go with hets and produce a visible recessive morph or I would go with a Pastel because it's cheap and an "ingredient" for other morphs as well.

evansnakes
10-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Buy anything you want. Now is the time. If there was ever a buyers market today is your time to pounce. The economy sucks and most people who breed snakes either have a real life outside the hobby that comes first and they need money for it or they are a big operation solely doing herps for a living and they have a big overhead and lots of bills to pay. The past few years people that were buying up balls were doing it on credit cards, mortgages and profit from real estate sales mostly. Interest rates are up and the real estate market sucks so there is much less cash being spent.

I strongly suggest you consider: pieds, hypos, genetic stripes, male bumble bees, female pastels, male super pastels, pastel het hypos, hypo pastels, pewters, pinstripes and much more. Stay away from hets, visuals are cheap enough and hold value much better. Don't touch double homozygous females unless they are way under market as they are not selling at all. Evan

hhmoore
10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone can lend some acurate insight on how the ball morph market is currently faring. I am considering investing in some of the nicer looking ball morphs now that the prices are dropping so fast. I have heard a rumor that the big ball breeders are accepting less than half what their advertised prices are listed for. Is this acurate?

Thanks,
Tawni Beauchemin
What a post for a public forum, lol...after predicting the "crash" of the market for years, no less. I am minimally invested in BPs, and without major concern for what pricing does over the next several years - but it strikes me as odd that somebody in this business would post that the known breeders are accepting such large reductions in their asking price. Sure, it is pretty much common knowledge that prices can be dropped, especially for those known in the trade or buying in quantity, but look at it from another perspective. How would you respond if I took a look at your site, picked out an animal (or several), then offered you even 60% of the advertised price? Let's say that we have an existing business relationship, and I offer you 50% - and you did accept that offer. Would you then match that price for anybody else that came along? What if I posted the prices I paid for the various animals online, and you started getting similar offers, with reference to the prices you gave me? How many of those would you accept? More interestingly, how would you respond to me the next time I tried to do business with you?

IMO, your question was better suited to be asked privately to friends and associates in the trade. Good luck with your projects, though.

Bill & Amy
10-12-2006, 10:19 AM
What a post for a public forum, lol...after predicting the "crash" of the market for years, no less. I am minimally invested in BPs, and without major concern for what pricing does over the next several years - but it strikes me as odd that somebody in this business would post that the known breeders are accepting such large reductions in their asking price. Sure, it is pretty much common knowledge that prices can be dropped, especially for those known in the trade or buying in quantity, but look at it from another perspective. How would you respond if I took a look at your site, picked out an animal (or several), then offered you even 60% of the advertised price? Let's say that we have an existing business relationship, and I offer you 50% - and you did accept that offer. Would you then match that price for anybody else that came along? What if I posted the prices I paid for the various animals online, and you started getting similar offers, with reference to the prices you gave me? How many of those would you accept? More interestingly, how would you respond to me the next time I tried to do business with you?

IMO, your question was better suited to be asked privately to friends and associates in the trade. Good luck with your projects, though.

:thumbsup: :iagree:

LadyOhh
10-12-2006, 12:42 PM
From what I have seen, Axanthics aren't selling very well, but then again, I wonder how everything is selling... (side note)

<b>Buy what you love! Invest your time and energy in what you want to make for yourself, and that should be enough. </b>

Bill & Amy
10-12-2006, 01:18 PM
From what I have seen, Axanthics aren't selling very well, but then again,

Just wondering, do you have axanthics for sale?

hhmoore
10-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Unless, I totally misread the initial post, they aren't looking for advice about what morphs to purchase, anyway :shrug01:

LadyOhh
10-13-2006, 05:47 PM
That may be true, Harald, but I think it is important to keep that in mind as well... Plus, from what everyone else had said, I didn't think it was necessary to add anything else regarding the market plummetting forcast.

And no, I don't have Axanthics for sale... I was watching them in Anaheim. Didn't see much move. Maybe it was a fluke that weekend, but I was watching very closely. :)